Show off your landers MEGATHREAD

Of course, this is my more sensible escape pod. You don`t have to EVA to get to it (if you have crew manifest)

Weighs 1.4T TWR 2.88-3.41 500Dv. Neat and tidy, strap 10 onto the crew section of your station.

screenshot103fo.png

screenshot104ja.png

screenshot106lp.png

screenshot107v.png

screenshot108u.png

John FX: I laughed out loud at the first one. NICE.

Can the second actually land with just its chute, or is it too heavy and requires rocket assist for a safe/soft landing? How'd you get the rockets to attach like that, and to what? And what's that on the nose right under the chute? I'm dumb and not recognizing it.

Nice lander's guy's and gals! :D

I've been playing since 0.17/0.18 - I think.

I've spent so much time playing KSP, yet I am still to land on the Mun, or dock, or get into a nice orbit. Every time I get to the Mun, my lander decides to suddenly explode :P

Anyway, I now know how to make a good lander - Here I go again D:

Can the second actually land with just its chute, or is it too heavy and requires rocket assist for a safe/soft landing? How'd you get the rockets to attach like that, and to what? And what's that on the nose right under the chute? I'm dumb and not recognizing it.

Don't worry, you're not dumb. :) It's looks to be an SAS or ASAS module from maybe KSPX or some other mod pack. I'm not quite sure.

My first successful Mun lander.

screenshot33.png

Worked great for landing on Duna; not so great for taking off again.

2013-05-01_00010.jpg

Enough to get from LKO to the surface of Minmus and back, with plenty of fuel to spare.

2013-05-26_00040.jpg

Ion engine lander for Minmus, because why not? Three ion engines are on the back with a single xenon tank.

mannedion.jpg

Blast-off from Vall.

Vallliftoff.jpg

Fun times on Tylo.

Tylodescent.jpg

Bop and Pol.

bopsteps.jpg

Mun rover lander; it just takes a little push to tip it onto its wheels.

2013-04-25_00011.jpg

A variety of base component landers and the systems for getting them into position.

2013-05-04_00006.jpg

The second can land with just its chute as long as you don`t mind a little explosive deceleration at the end (pod is ok as far as i remember) The rockets are attached to the pod on the outside of the pod then rotated 180 degrees so they are inside (if that makes sense) the orange rings fit halfway into the base so the profile is really small. (the rockets are the small radial red ones). As you can put orange rings over orange rings you can adjust the fuel load without changing design at all. I have a 1.1T 2.5KDv 5-11TWR lander based on the first design for hard to land places. This design weighs about 3T for 2.5K Dv

The grey ring I thought was stock but i may be wrong. It`s a micro ASAS for probes. It`s in my control group.

I have the first escape pod on a few of my lighter stations, they just attach onto a small decoupler and once occupied can be staged off. The second I have on my large refuel stations. They are attached by larger decouplers that have a nice puff of smoke when they detach.

screenshot116e.png

Edited by John FX

Don't worry, you're not dumb. :) It's looks to be an SAS or ASAS module from maybe KSPX or some other mod pack. I'm not quite sure.

Only thing I have installed like that is KSPX so it`s probably that. Says STEADLER engineering corps made it.

So my first self built Munar Lander didn't land too well, I accidentally quicksaved about 800 metres off the ground, and hit quite hard.

Here's what it looked like before launch (I also attached a Probe which worked well, the rover I didn't get to test :'( )

nFObTvp.png

And here it is after "Landing"

510knxe.png

Mermund was ecstatic to have survived the crash at least

xebGAp0.png

Now to just build a vehicle to retrieve him

Here he is standing next to his only companion for the next few years until help arrives. He can't get back into the ship so he has a long wait ahead of him

1nHscVK.png

I can't see the velocity in 3rd-person view, so I wanted a ship with which I can see the ground,

horizon, artificial-horizon, and the velocity, without having to switch back & forth between in-

side&outside views. This is what I came up with. I use the main (horizontal) engine to decelerate,

then shut it down and the small engines on (per hot-key) for the actual landing.

The non-stock tanks could easily be swapped with stock ones, I chose them mainly for aesthetic reasons.

VyHXyoL.jpg

Rf3xXBi.jpg

Next, a drone re-orbit unit for stranded Kerbonauts :wink:

There's a small ASAS hidden in there somewhere (the nose-cone with the antenna), so I needed no RCS.

eyYTTI0.jpg

I can't see the velocity in 3rd-person view, so I wanted a ship with which I can see the ground,

horizon, artificial-horizon, and the velocity, without having to switch back & forth between in-

side&outside views. This is what I came up with. I use the main (horizontal) engine to decelerate,

then shut it down and the small engines on (per hot-key) for the actual landing.

The non-stock tanks could easily be swapped with stock ones, I chose them mainly for aesthetic reasons.

Next, a drone re-orbit unit for stranded Kerbonauts :wink:

There's a small ASAS hidden in there somewhere (the nose-cone with the antenna), so I needed no RCS.

Wow, that actually looks pretty cool. I would have the poodle on a stack seperator though, maybe for base modules?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.