Jeb's Rescue Mission (on the Mun)

JonhyBee

Hello guys,

Some of you might have seen in another post here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/32165-What-does-your-Jeb-do-now?p=396835&viewfull=1#post396835

That on my first Mun mission ever I got Jeb stranded there. I have finally have hed some time to play KSP so I did the rescue mission tonight. I though of documenting and sharing for posterity.

Here is Jeb who seems happy they are finally coming to get him out of there.

Iv2zaeM.jpg

After the LMK1 (launcher mark one) collapsed on itself starting with the central commend pod I fixed it a little so here is My lander Mark3 (has mark one and two had the obvious problem Jeb encountered when the engine exploded upon landing) with its launcher. Its a 2 man crew with some space to spare for Jeb in case he needs to come back with this, but I am planning something else, you will see.

1CBFywe.jpg

Putting that baby into orbit is a charm and I bet its very overkill for a trip to the Mun. But that's a good thing it turns out, more on that later.

So I transfer to Mun and put myself on the same orbit then Jeb Re-entry pod still waiting in orbit and I notice its still very high on fuel.

I am very proud of landing barely 400m from Jeb's spot without Mechjeb or any mod that was not easy for me.

FxmPqUh.jpg

Once Jeb is back into orbit with Edrim, they go and dock with Richgan who stayed behind in the crewmodule in orbit. Its then, looking at all the spare fuel I had left I got an idea. I docked with the dead shuttle left for Jeb's re-entry.

WZjkkp0.jpg

Transfered most of its fuel onto the newly dubbed Odysseus and sent Jeb back home. I had to try a few ways of returning to Kerbal before figuring out the right aerobreak to not crash with the very little fuel I had left Jeb but I made it!

frzwV6x.jpg

Jeb is Safe back home, and the two others are waiting in low Mun orbit with a full Odysseus shuttle bound to other planets!

BIFfMFV.jpg

More on that later.

P.S.: I need to learn how to place RCS, all that docking in orbit with crappy controls on the lander made me understand what is required.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.