Dramatic drop in stability from .19 to .20 with lots of mods.

detriment

Going from .19 to .20.2 (now) I've run into the problem of only being able to use about half as many mods as I used to. I'm still unable to load my .19 save into .20 without losing 1/3rd of my active flights because of missing parts. I'm just wondering if I'm alone on this or if anyone else has noticed it as well. I haven't seen anyone talking about it so I figured I'd ask. I really want to get back to the project(s) I was working on but it's unstable to the point of uselessness.

Here's the mods I was running in .19.0:

ISA mapsat

kethane

mechjeb 1

mechjeb 2

kw rocketry

HOME

NovaPunch

ampYear

b9 aerospace

Kosmos

Crew Manifest

Ion Hybrid pack

Ferram Aerospace research

Firespitter

FusTek Station parts

Kerbal attachment system

Quantum struts

RLA electric engines

romfarer lazor w/ sunbeam

telemachus

Multiple DEMV / Cleverbobcat

subassembly loader

throttle steering

Damned Robotics

Haystack

Romfarer robot arms

tt modular wheels

Now granted it's a lot, and the game would crash on every 5th or 6th scene change, but it was playable. Now however - with half as many mods - it won't even make it to the title menu. I've spent hours making sure any mods that aren't specifically .20 compatible aren't installed. I've even gone so far as to edit part.cfg's and re-arrange directory structures into the new system on mods that aren't updated yet. I'm at least 15 hours into trial and error at this point. I was really excited when I heard .20 was going to fix memory problems, but it's made the problem worse. KSP is the most important thing in the world to me right now. I really miss it. A lot.

p.s. sorry for the giant wall of text.

Remove the Kosmos mod and chances are you will have fewer crashes. If I used any uploads_2013_04_Kosmos_SSPP_R4.2 parts the game works till I go to the launch pad at which point the game crashes. It's not a memory usage issue here with only 63% of memory used. There's just something screwy with that mod.

People have had problems taking 'vanilla' saves from 0.19 to 0.20.

I doubt the modding mechanism itself became any less stable and I also believe that many 0.19 mods do not work 'as-is' with 0.20.

The memory issue is an interesting one though - I've noticed it seems to mostly be better behaved under 0.20, but I can't say its always better...

The advice I would give is not to get attached to savegames for a project that is still in development. The devs might want to completely replace the save system with something better (for example, with something which is memory and disk space efficient). They can always be backwards compatible in some way, but it takes effort and it would be nice if they didn't have to waste their time on that imo. I'd rather a finished game...

The more I play, the more I notice this happening to me as well ... Basic loading is faster, but I'm getting A LOT more crashes at scene-changing. .. I can build a craft in VAB, go to launch and get a CTD or game freeze. Restart and go direct to Launchpad, loading the same ship, and it loads and launches fine. End Flight > Restart Flight .. CTD or game freeze .. consistently.

They'll fix it. I know it's alpha. Just greatly in need of further memory optimization.

Oddly enough, I had a similar problem with crashing on scene changes in .19.1, but it's considerably improved in the current version; in fact, I haven't crashed yet. How much memory are you running on your system?

One of my tricks to get more mods to run and get faster loads was just to remove any parts I didn't feel attached to, such as fairings, redundant parts, etc. Sounds like your problem is a bit worse than that though. I've currently gotten the following running flawlessly in 20.2:

mechjeb 2, HOME, NovaPunch, ampYear, Crew Manifest, Ferram Aerospace research, Kerbal attachment system, KSPX, RLA electric engines, Part Search, subassembly loader w/ patch, tt modular wheels, TT mk3 expansion, crew cabin, assorted misc parts from my old install still in the parts folder

Personally, I'd start looking very closely at the debug console as you load and trying to figure out what's throwing errors and exceptions. Take everything out and add stuff back one by one. It's likely only a couple plugins causing the issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.