Take off, land, take off again and land a final time

Hey Kerbanauts!

I was looking for something fun to build, so I came up with the idea to build a rocket that would be able to:

1) Take off and reach 5km

2) Land safely

3) Take off again and reach 5km

4) Land safely a final time

This only using standard components.

I'm so close to having a working prototype, but I run into a weird problem. Have a look at this video I uploaded, showing what I do:

Okay, so the first launch goes well, parachute down with help of liquid thrusters and land nice and safe. But watch what happens when I take off the second time. The first few seconds look like they're going great, but then all of the sudden the ship starts freaking out. Please note that I don't touch WASD at any point during the video.

I've tried 5 different working configurations and ways of doing this. It happens every time.

Am I not seeing something or could this be some bug?

Thanks in advance!

If it is a bug, maybe it has something to do with the parachute not be undeployed correctly? It seems like the ship shouldn't go crazy like that but I would have to experiment.

I'd try removing the first stage and launching the second stage which is taking off after landing without it - if it goes nuts like it did after the second takeoff right off the pad without the srb stage, then maybe it's a balance issue taking off from a dead stop which is mitigated by the presence of the srb...

ad astra,

FL

Your rocket goes apeshit because the parachutes are still working. They don't disappear they just become invisible.

If you launch and deploy your parachutes immediately, you will see the exact same behavior.

i think if you place some decouplers on top and fiddle with the staging it should work right ?

(i still think your a madmad for trying to land twice )

Your rocket goes apeshit because the parachutes are still working. They don't disappear they just become invisible.

If you launch and deploy your parachutes immediately, you will see the exact same behavior.

I registered just to say this.

I'm doing a video when I complete my challenge. I need to get up 5km on both trips..

Right now I'm only getting 3km on first launch and 5km on the second.. So I need to polish the rocket-design..

alrighty good luck dear sir !

Here is the video of my succesful attemt!

(might still be processing as I post this)

Very nice! By the way, I would think that if you keep the four liquid rockets for your second take-off (don't decouple them before taking off), you could reach much higher than 5km :)

Very nice! By the way, I would think that if you keep the four liquid rockets for your second take-off (don't decouple them before taking off), you could reach much higher than 5km :)

if you look closely at the video you can see he damages them rendering them useless

a real shame like you said he could have gone alot higer :(

ouch :( didn't notice. It seemed like a pretty smooth landing; I'll bet it was the horizontal movement that broke it. I've landed harder than that with functional rockets before, maybe keeping it as still has possible horizontally is the key

• 1 year later...

You don't even have to detach them to start again. The chutes close at <1 m/s and don't reopen when you accelerate again, I tested this. It can be seen in action on my interplanetary simulation flight, described here: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/17144-In-preparation-for-0-17-simulated-interplanetary-flight-and-return?p=237566&viewfull=1#post237566 - the planetary lander stage descends using parachutes, and then ascends again without dropping them.