[0.23]Bolt-On Screenshot System (BOSS) - v2.1.4

Ted

I've added some instructions and general info in the OP, thanks for the suggestion.

Are you still having it crash? If so, let me know your supersample value and throw your log my way.

Thank you, much appreciated.

As for the super sampling, I had attempted 10 at first, immediate crash. Then I tried 1 and 2. They worked fine but I didnt notice much difference in quality. I ramped it up to 5 and after a few moments it said KSP had stopped working. I waited a bit to check if it crashed or if it was chugging along with the shot. I eventually gave up on the setting of 5 super samples and deemed it a nogo crash. I do not have a log for it at the moment, but if I get one, what part of the crash log would you like?

Nice! One thing: would it be possible to have the supersampling value saved? Now it changes back to 1 at each scene change.

This is also something I noticed. Also, the saved screenshots counter should reset per game restart because sometimes we delete screenshots and there is no point counting deleted shots in my opinion.

Thank you, much appreciated.

As for the super sampling, I had attempted 10 at first, immediate crash. Then I tried 1 and 2. They worked fine but I didnt notice much difference in quality. I ramped it up to 5 and after a few moments it said KSP had stopped working. I waited a bit to check if it crashed or if it was chugging along with the shot. I eventually gave up on the setting of 5 super samples and deemed it a nogo crash. I do not have a log for it at the moment, but if I get one, what part of the crash log would you like?

Ah, well 10 is definitely too high. It's heavily dependant on how much spare RAM KSP can address, so if you've got a 2.5-3GB instance of KSP running then BOSS will probably crash it at anything higher than 3-4. It's best to simply increment it by one each time and check to see how your system handles it. There will be roughly a 10 second hand for high values - around 6-7 on most systems. That's the point you should probably stop incrementing, heh.

Most systems and installations with a couple of standard part packs should handle a value of 5 pretty well, especially if running on a low resolution.

The log won't be too helpful, other than letting me know if an error other than a too high supersample value occurred. So send over the whole thing if you're having it crash at a reasonable supersample value or at a point in the game other than taking a screenshot.

Nice! One thing: would it be possible to have the supersampling value saved? Now it changes back to 1 at each scene change.

Sure, that's no problem, I'd be happy to put that in the next version.

This is also something I noticed. Also, the saved screenshots counter should reset per game restart because sometimes we delete screenshots and there is no point counting deleted shots in my opinion.

The saved screenshots counter is used for appending the image with the screenshot number it is, so resetting it would overwrite your screenshots. However, I have been considering doing away with that and simply naming the screenshots with a date/time stamp and thus deleted screenshots would not come into consideration.

Edited by Ted

Sure, that's no problem, I'd be happy to put that in the next version.

The saved screenshots counter is used for appending the image with the screenshot number it is, so resetting it would overwrite your screenshots. However, I have been considering doing away with that and simply naming the screenshots with a date/time stamp and thus deleted screenshots would not come into consideration.

Amen to both of these!

Alright, so I was testing again and I could get up to 3 super samples, at 4 and above, KSP crashes because my Windows 7 says so, not because KSP did so. I cannot get a crash log.

That sounds like running out of memory indeed. It'd be interesting if I could get your dxdiag.txt or a concise description of your computer specifications and KSP settings to put in the OP alongside the supersample value that works for you for other users so they don't have to go playing around with random values.

Edited by Ted

Well that won't be very hard :) I am running KSP at around 1.2GB of RAM usage at the moment so it MAY be that, but I doubt it because 3 super samples was an immediate screenshot, and a small bump in my memory usage. After 4 boom, KSP locks. I have provided all the information you have asked for down below.

DXDiagnostic

KSP Settings and Extra Information

Edited by bulletrhli
Small word changes

Now to wait for the BXSS fork to be revived too :D

I will more than likely be simply incorporating features from BXSS into BOSS when I have the time, as opposed to reviving the code in its entirety.

Basically just a fork to make BOSS better, taking screenshots without interface (z was the old ss key). Better images, better capturing (using the mouse to screencap can be unreliable in terms of timing)

But isn't the interface a nice touch since you can hide it and customize the settings without going into the config file? Most people don't know how to play with config files and you have to reload everything.

But you don't need the interface for this one either. You set it and forget it. Yes, atm the super interlace settings arent saving because of a bug, but, its essentially the same thing. I may be misunderstanding something, but I see at this present time no different from the descriptions you guys are giving me.

Where are the screenshots saved? The counter is functioning, and the game slows for a brief moment when I hit z, so it seems to be taking the screenshot. But I can't figure out where it puts it. I looked in the Gamedata folder for BOSS and in the default screenshots folder, but neither had any of them.

But you don't need the interface for this one either. You set it and forget it. Yes, atm the super interlace settings arent saving because of a bug, but, its essentially the same thing. I may be misunderstanding something, but I see at this present time no different from the descriptions you guys are giving me.

Oh, well okay then. I was describing the differences between the two from a ~year ago where there was no such functionality.

In other news, supersampling to 3x breaks my game, I successfully did it once, getting an 18.2MB file, and the second (~10 seconds later) froze the program. I remember getting size 3-5 shots pretty easily from the earlier version, but I also had a lot less mods and this was prior to art passes which presumably also increased RAM use at the highest settings.

Edited by cardgame

I did, and none of them were there.

Have you got your output_log/player.log handy from a session where you took screenshots with BOSS? If so, could you upload it to Pastebin/Pastie/Dropbox? Thanks.

Oh, well okay then. I was describing the differences between the two from a ~year ago where there was no such functionality.

In other news, supersampling to 3x breaks my game, I successfully did it once, getting an 18.2MB file, and the second (~10 seconds later) froze the program. I remember getting size 3-5 shots pretty easily from the earlier version, but I also had a lot less mods and this was prior to art passes which presumably also increased RAM use at the highest settings.

Yupp, have a browse of the changelog to see the most recent changes.

As for it crashing/freezing, it would most probably be due to the higher RAM usage of KSP these days. Do you have any other mods/plugins?

I have to use http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-12-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21

on aggressive. If im going to use this with mods....im also running super fast ram 2133 ram. And i get to 4 max. I could easily understand how you and others are hitting the limit at 2 to 3. As they are probably using mods without reducing the ram usage. Also i recommend never pressing the button multiple times quickly. Also if the game freezes. Just sit and dont touch anything. Sometimes if its a large image. And your doing higher supersampling. It will literally freeze the game for like 30 seconds. but you will end up not missing a frame of the game. And you will probably end up with an amazing shot. Heres some of mine. http://imgur.com/a/tDP6B All were taken at 3 or 4.

Edited by synik4l

Hey Ted. Love your work. Been getting some great stuff.

Quick question. Any plans to add your button to the Toolbar?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863-0-23-0-Toolbar-1-4-2-Common-API-for-draggable-resizable-buttons-toolbar

I use your mod all the time now. and it would be great if it was part of the toolbar. Sorry if this has already been asked.

Yes card. hes right you can currently press Z to take the screenshot. interface-less. Also, the reason it is not saving the supersampling value, is because it is not being saved to the xml. I thought this was made by design. Being that sometimes people like to take 1 or 2 shots, slowly at 4. But would crash the game normally it would crash set at 4. If i hit z a couple times. Like for example,when i'm building my rocket when i have to hit ctrl - z. But this is a feature that is easily addable. If you guys wanted it.

Also, like Ted said. The reason you are probably getting those crashes is because of the amount of mods people are using/the amount of ram they need.

The key to this plugin. Which i'm going to go over, because I don't think people realize how its working in the background. Say I take a screenshot at 3 or 4. Thats already 5000 or 7000px big image. Thats huge. So you shouldnt need to go any higher yet. Second when you take said screenshot. If you take another one really fast. It may not crash it. But it probably will. depending on your computer and the amount of mods you have and whether or not your using the mod i mentioned above. Reason is. Your first screenshot is still being super-sampled. in the background. It can take up to 30 even 40 seconds sometimes in the background to finish. So if you double it up. Your doubling the ram the plugin needs to finish the tasks. Thus this can push you over the limit. So the key to it. Is find your comps limit. I have found that mine can handle 4. With alot of mods. As long as im using this. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-14-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21. I also have 2133mhz ram. and a 8core proc. So it may be the limit is 3 for others. Were working within the confinements of the memory limit as always. And super-sampling uses alot.

EDIT:

I'm working with Ted to get some features added to BOSS right now. Heres what you can look forward to.

v2.1.3 - added choosing of skins, burst shot mode, help window, cleaned up code ALOT. Added saving of supersampling value.

added to toolbar(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863-0-23-0-Toolbar-1-4-0-Common-API-for-draggable-resizable-buttons-toolbar).

fixed crashing issue by limiting the user to 1 screenshot while the unity engine is still antialiasing the image. Option to turn off this limiter will be added to the help window. But you have to learn to use it. so it doesnt crash your game. If you take this limit off.

Another bonus. I have written an external supersampler. That can be used to do it outside of KSP. I'm going to set it up to do the entire folder its placed in. So that if you guys want you can super sample images that are already taken. They wont look as good as the unity engine will do it. But i must say, it does work. :-)

boss2.3.png

Edited by synik4l

I've pushed out the update that synik4l has been working on. I have to say a massive thanks to him, he's really helped out here and the plugin has jumped miles ahead in progress that would have taken me much longer to do.

Enjoy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.