I found something...

Odo

Our 4th landing on the Mun was a success. Everything was going to plan, until I saw it.. A strange.. what only can be described as an anomaly in the usual rock. It twinkled and beckoned, with its all grasping curiosity. I had to investigate. Little did we know how long it would take to get there... how far away it was... It took us hours. (7 IRL hours) of driving a small Mun Rover at the averaged speed of 8 m/s. In total, we drove 86 km, and once we got there, we werent prepared for what we saw...

Left by our ancient ancestors we wondered? We had no idea... A sign from some other race perhaps? We have no idea, but we know one thing for sure. After traveling so far, we are lost. Completely and utterly lost. We were entangled by its beckoning like a moth to flame, and now.. we were paying for our curiosity.

33eohnb.jpg

t65o1s.jpg

dxbayt.jpg

Alright! All dramatized situations aside, Ive got no idea what this was. As the above story says, I saw a weird twinkle and went investigated it, and it actually did take 7 IRL hours to get there. Good thing its the weekend. Anyway, since I dont look anything up about KSP, I like to experience it myself after all, I dont have a clue what this is. I can only explain it as a Rock Anomaly or Arch or something, can any of you explain this thing? Thanks :) Im just worried its some horrible portal and some demonic aliens are going to come out and slaughter my Mun crew :(

Congrats,there is 2 more to go :)

ACHIEVEMENT GET: Mun Arch

Find the mun arch.

Theres another one...? Also what happens if you find both of them. And are they dangerous? Are there arches on other planets?

Congratulations, who have found one of the many Easter Eggs in KSP!

Can I assume the weird black totem that says SQUAD on it about 5 km from the launching area is also an easteregg>

Can I assume the weird black totem that says SQUAD on it about 5 km from the launching area is also an easteregg>

The black thing is called a Monolith. And yes, anything that you find that has absolutely no explanation of being there is probably an anomaly.

The black thing is called a Monolith. And yes, anything that you find that has absolutely no explanation of being there is probably an anomaly.

Cool :) I look forward to hopefully finding more of these easter eggs as I progress in my journeys :)

Theres another one...? Also what happens if you find both of them. And are they dangerous? Are there arches on other planets?

Theres only arches on the mun,atleast to our knowledge,they arent dangerous,and nothing really happens when you find all of them,just say WOOHOO.

Great job! Third arch to go!

Theres 3? 0_0 Also the second one was found by accident, I was orbiting above the Mun getting my lander/small station into a good landing trajectory (under the first arch) and I saw it while floating above. Took a quick screenshot and then went on with my landing business, which was a success :) I'm pleased to announce the foundations of a Mun Colony under the arch has been established! I plan on making it grand, so Ill most likely have a forum thread for it. So far its got the main research facility, 2 rovers, and 4 kerbals. All things have small beginnings :wink: Also this is a milestone for me in landing. Its the first time Ive landed perfectly on a target I wanted to land at xD All my other landings were where ever the wind takes me.. Hopefully I can do it again, cause I have 7 Kerbals that need to be rescued from the Mun. (The other random landings I spoke about. Ive never actually returned from the moon :o never have delta V)

They are only dangerous when you attempt a landing at the top, either by rocket or by jetpack, and miss the landing or run out of jetpack fuel :D DOH!

They are only dangerous when you attempt a landing at the top, either by rocket or by jetpack, and miss the landing or run out of jetpack fuel :D DOH!

First thing I did was try to land on it with a jetpack hehe. When I got to the top he slid off and landed on his head but was thankfully OKAY!

Try making polar landings too. Not only do they look cool, you always have a view of Kerbal and the Sun on the horizon at all times.

You might try a trip to the South pole of Mun too. But you might have to search deep to find it. That's all I'm sayin. :)

As a matter of fact I make it a point of placing probe rovers on almost every planet's polar region.

Edited by Landge

Try making polar landings too. Not only do they look cool, you always have a view of Kerbal and the Sun on the horizon at all times.

You might try a trip to the South pole of Mun too. But you might have to search deep to find it. That's all I'm sayin. :)

As a matter of fact I make it a point of placing probe rovers on almost every planet's polar region.

Whatcha mean by polar landing?

Only dangerous easter-egg we know of is...somewhere near Duna ;) It's mostly passive danger, but... Remember: Do Not Mock The Magic Boulder.

The other important question: Is it made of Kryptonite? Is Superman in danger?

And a random question: Has anyone ever tried using KAS to grapple onto the boulder?

Whatcha mean by polar landing?

A polar landing is a landing on or near the North or South poles of a planet. It helps to be in a polar orbit (Traveling North to South) as opposed to an equatorial one (West to East).

If are in and equatorial orbit on a heading 90° and have the fuel. Point your ship to 315° along the horizon line of your navball and fire your engines. This will cause your orbit to rise vertically causing your ship's orbit to shift towards the northern hemisphere, eventually reaching the North pole. Keep applying thrust until your orbit is vertical around the planet and circularize or deorbit to land.

Alternately you can point your ship to 225° just like above and that will cause your ship's orbit to shift towards the southern hemisphere eventually reaching the South pole.

Here is a screen shot of my ships in orbit over Duna. I have one MapSat in a polar orbit while the rest are all equatorial. At Duna's North Pole you can see a probe lander.

QNUMHpih.png

A polar landing is a landing on or near the North or South poles of a planet. It helps to be in a polar orbit (Traveling North to South) as opposed to an equatorial one (West to East).

If are in and equatorial orbit on a heading 90° and have the fuel. Point your ship to 315° along the horizon line of your navball and fire your engines. This will cause your orbit to rise vertically causing your ship's orbit to shift towards the northern hemisphere, eventually reaching the North pole. Keep applying thrust until your orbit is vertical around the planet and circularize or deorbit to land.

Alternately you can point your ship to 225° just like above and that will cause your ship's orbit to shift towards the southern hemisphere eventually reaching the South pole.

Here is a screen shot of my ships in orbit over Duna. I have one MapSat in a polar orbit while the rest are all equatorial. At Duna's North Pole you can see a probe lander.

QNUMHpih.png

Ah I get it

I went to the coordinates ofApollo 11s landing on the mun and theres nothing there:(

Can we see a pic of your location?

If I remember the spot of that anomaly, it should be roughly at the equator, in a very large crater.

Edited by Sapphire

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.