The L.O.G. Multiplayer Project

MarkusA380

Do you like the idea of it?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of it?

Well, this. Sad to see LOG go. But on the bright side, it was already pretty much dead. What will be revolutionary about this engine?

It's completley based on atoms. Which should make it far more realistic than any physics engine at present. But it is in Alpha and still in 2D (although I will ad the next dimension soon, which wont be hard to do), so it will take some time. If you want to give it a try, write me PM.

It's completley based on atoms. Which should make it far more realistic than any physics engine at present. But it is in Alpha and still in 2D (although I will ad the next dimension soon, which wont be hard to do), so it will take some time. If you want to give it a try, write me PM.

Ooh, fancy. I'm guessing C# for the language? I'd love to give it a whirl. Throw me a PM with info for becoming a tester, please!

EDIT:Come to think of it, won't even the simplest of things such as tiny pebbles take a lot of space? Or do you have a clever way around that?

Edited by KvickFlygarn87

how are the download?

Well, because it is in Alpha: NO-WHERE. I seriously don't understand why everyone wants to download a totally unfinished piece of software (Both L.O.G. and SE) which is not meant to be "played", because it isn't good enaugh to be.

I hope you understand this somewhen and just wait until release.

EDIT:Come to think of it, won't even the simplest of things such as tiny pebbles take a lot of space? Or do you have a clever way around that?

Well, I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you mean dimensional space or computing power?

• 3 weeks later...

Calculate down to atoms....

Do you have any idea how much processing power that will require? You will need to calculate each atoms position, rotation, velocity, connection with other atoms, temperature and state. Considering that the smallest atom (hydrogen) is 120 pm(10^-12 meters) that is only a "mere" 5,37 * 10^25 atoms. In other words: 53 700 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 atoms that needs to be calculated each frame. And that's only one cubic meter. It's just not possible. Even with a super computer you won't be able to keep track of each single atom.

Of course you can bring the size up to lets say 1mmX1mmX1mm. It will still be 1 000 000 000 different "atoms". It's just not possible with our current technology.

If you have tried playing minecraft on a bad computer you may know what I mean. In minecraft every single block in the loaded chunks are calculated, with only around 10 000 loaded blocks it will still lagg(bad fps). This is because the current processors aren't able to handle so many calculations.

I planed on doing something similar some time ago, but quickly abandons the idea as I saw that our current processors won't be able to even render a single cube.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Calculate down to atoms....

Do you have any idea how much processing power that will require? You will need to calculate each atoms position, rotation, velocity, connection with other atoms, temperature and state. Considering that the smallest atom (hydrogen) is 120 pm(10^-12 meters) that is only a "mere" 5,37 * 10^25 atoms. In other words: 53 700 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 atoms that needs to be calculated each frame. And that's only one cubic meter. It's just not possible. Even with a super computer you won't be able to keep track of each single atom.

Of course you can bring the size up to lets say 1mmX1mmX1mm. It will still be 1 000 000 000 different "atoms". It's just not possible with our current technology.

If you have tried playing minecraft on a bad computer you may know what I mean. In minecraft every single block in the loaded chunks are calculated, with only around 10 000 loaded blocks it will still lagg(bad fps). This is because the current processors aren't able to handle so many calculations.

I planed on doing something similar some time ago, but quickly abandons the idea as I saw that our current processors won't be able to even render a single cube.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't correct you. What you said is true.

But I have got some ideas to fix this problem:

1. I will us a normal engine for the normal physics. Only when deformation or destruction happens, the polygon models are computed into atoms at the spot where the force is applied. After the deformation or destruction a new polygon model is made.

2. SETI-Like computing power share. Look it up.

3. Large Atoms, so more particles than atoms.

In my current version I get 400 Atoms stable. Without PhysX or any of the methods from above.

Sounds reasonable, but i still predict that you will run into major problems after 1000-5000 atoms or so. Our modern computers are just not able to handle this kind of stress. It's mostly easier to just have meshes that consists of different chunks, that you can terraform. In most engines the mesh can consist of different material with different properties. Look up Space Engineers for example, they use a similar technology as the one that I described and it works quite good.

Sounds reasonable, but i still predict that you will run into major problems after 1000-5000 atoms or so. Our modern computers are just not able to handle this kind of stress. It's mostly easier to just have meshes that consists of different chunks, that you can terraform. In most engines the mesh can consist of different material with different properties. Look up Space Engineers for example, they use a similar technology as the one that I described and it works quite good.

Maybe the future PC's will be able to do what I plan? Just sayin'...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.