Manned Mars Mission and terminal illnes

Countless explorers and settlers on the earth have dealt with similar situations here on the earth. Yes it would be emotionally traumatizing, but there is no need for a mass suicide once the first person goes.

Countless explorers and settlers on the earth have dealt with similar situations here on the earth. Yes it would be emotionally traumatizing, but there is no need for a mass suicide once the first person goes.

Yeah, but again, why do it? It just adds uncertainty to the mission and trauma to the crew.

Well, assuming that the person had no cancer to begin with, and that the suits didn't fail, cancer shouldn't be an issue. As for an appendicitis, I saw one guy mention a movie or book where the people all had them removed, so that would solve that problem.

Illness really shouldn't be an issue, as any life on Mars will most likely be deep inside the underground caves, so the only thing that the pioneers would have to deal with is radiation burns (which could lead to cancer) if they tear their suit. Which, they have to deal with repairing/replacing the suit as well as treating the burn. The effected area of skin would probably be immediately amputated, since normal cancer treatment would surely not come with them on the trip, and risking the development of cancer would be too high.

That's my way of looking at it.

I explained all this in my first post. It's a cruel and unnecessary thing to do, especially when you've got no live contact except with the few other people around you. They may be able to remain functioning, that doesn't make it any less of a horrible thing to do to them.

I'm aware that you said it in your first post. Just because you said a thing doesn't mean I agreed with it.

Illness really shouldn't be an issue, as any life on Mars will most likely be deep inside the underground caves,

That statement presumes the definition of "illness" only includes maladies caused by viruses, bacteria, and parasites. It also includes things that are not caused by those. A genetic disorder qualifies. Diabetes qualifies, and so on.

I'm aware that you said it in your first post. Just because you said a thing doesn't mean I agreed with it.

In that case there should have been no reason for you to make that incorrect assumption about the reasons for my objections.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.