Planets and ScaledSpace.

Yeah, and this is what were getting:

Ah, thank you very much. :)

And I really don't mind what we're getting, because as Nutt007 just mentioned, if anyone can edit the source code, we will have a lot of different star systems made by people who know what they're doing. :wink: I'm very excited about where this is going now.

If you don't like Kragrathea implements the bodies, remember you can always edit the source code to make your own bodies or remove some of Krag's. I personally plan to take Nova's ideas for the solar system and expand upon that.

That'd be VERY interesting. I can't wait for that dwarf planet Harv :D

Edited by swiftgates24

Hey Kragrathea have you figured out how oceans and atmospheres work yet? I know from peering in the files that atmospheres use a gradient texture, but I don't know how that would be added to a planet.

Edited by Nutt007

Hey Kragrathea have you figured out how oceans and atmospheres work yet? I know from peering in the files that atmospheres use a gradient texture, but I don't know how that would be added to a planet.

im wondering too, after this is released i was gonna try and add a more venus like planet.

Great work so far!

What I would really love is a way to make randomly generated planets and star systems. It would really help with the fun of 'discovery and exploration', as when you get bored of the Kerbin system you could just generate a new one and have at it. This would also work well with telescopes and some form of 'discovery' for celestial bodies. Of course this comes much later, like after we actually have hand-designed ones. 'libnoise' was used to generate Kerbin (and probably many of the other bodies), why not set it to work generating planets for more systems?

Great work so far!

What I would really love is a way to make randomly generated planets and star systems. It would really help with the fun of 'discovery and exploration', as when you get bored of the Kerbin system you could just generate a new one and have at it. This would also work well with telescopes and some form of 'discovery' for celestial bodies. Of course this comes much later, like after we actually have hand-designed ones. 'libnoise' was used to generate Kerbin (and probably many of the other bodies), why not set it to work generating planets for more systems?

this would be to heavy for ksp...

all planets stock in ksp are hand made.. 1 by 1.

and that for a reason.

(randomly procedurally generated planets and star systems) would be to heavy for ksp...

all planets stock in ksp are hand made

The surface of the planets is mostly procedural (with a couple of manual art passes).

Other than that the planets are just a couple of spheres dotted around in space, there's nothing particularly heavy about doing that procedurally as well.

And Squad has said there will be a procedurally generated 'universe' (more like one small galaxy, which is plenty).

Here is Harvester hinting at it (more recent posts referring to it were lost in the great forum crash)

Scaled Space: Now with 100% more Floating Origin!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/54-Scaled-Space-Now-with-100-more-Floating-Origin!

"... to create a galaxy-sized space, you of course have to go into procedural generation of the smaller detail subscenes, to populate that space, since there's no way to conceivably create artist-generated content for that large a game space..."

And here he is talking about procedural craters:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/667-Procedural-Craters

Well this is a bit awkward. I'm also working on a solar system mod. I've looked around and I really like this mod. But I do have to say my mod will be a bit more realistic. Please keep my updated on this mod though :D

I think what he means is the size of the planets, and the distances between them.

If you compared KSP and our solar system, Eeloo's orbit would be between Mercury and Venus's orbits.

Actually, i'm gonna draw up a side-by-side.. hold pls.

EDIT:

Ok, here's a comparitive side-by-side. Accurate to Wikipedia standards, every single pixel represents 50,000km of distance. Shows orbital range of each body.

Note, you will probably need to zoom in to get the correct effect, it's a very long picture. And Kerbol is just 5px in diameter in the shot. KSP in the lower panel.

planetcompare_zps023a46a8.png

Edited by kahlzun

Wow. I knew Kerbol system was compressed - but until now i never realised how tiny compared to real life it is. If it was made in 1:1 scale, reaching Duna would take weeks on max time-warp :sealed:

The planets are actually far off of scale. And from the video and pictures I've seen this new system is just like reaching another planet. My vision is much like the real world. It's actually taking more time than I thought just to do the research. And even then we know very little about getting out of our solar system.

Hellooo Kerbals! I'm back after a long holiday. And quite refreshed indeed! And it appears there is a lot to answer for. The marketing department mounted a bit of a coupe over the video I posted. Very nasty allegations were made and even some personal remarks. Such as suggesting requiring proof-of-brain (with a core drill no less!) before allowing a brainCam to be used. But I got wind of it and brought in doughnuts this morning and now everyone is friends again. What did I tell you, lazy sods can't even be bothered to mount a proper revolt.

Plowing through the back log of posts a few caught my eye:

-Stupid_chris re:craters. what?

-Re:Lighting. Of course it is not final. We use LEDs to save hydrogen until actual sun ignition. That way you get the absolute maximum burn time out of your new star!

-Re:Lag. Ah! Yes! Finally a term the Kerbals fear! "Memory issues" and "crashing" were not strong enough it would appear. Yes, Renovations to an existing system ain't cheap. "New stuff costs somethin!" my pappy used to say. Frame rate and "loading time" in this case. How much depends on how much I can free up elsewhere. That's why I am trying to get you fools to agree to a few bloody minor moons. And Eve of course. Mmmm... what a delightful purple.

-Re:Atmosphere. We are doing the best we can. Your Kerbal optics are something of a puzzle. We thought about asking for a few sample eyes. But that was around the time everyone was huffing over the moons and we thought "better not". That said, we are confident that we can give you the perfect shade of what you delightfully call air.

-Nutt007 Re:Space engine. We welcome inspiration from our clients. But learn compression my friend. Merely post the planet location and a beauty-shot. We can take care of the rest. A credit will be given in the unlikely event a planet is eventually produced. We get millions of submissions you know... I did try out the surface you proposed. Not bad... but my surface guys tell me there are not nearly enough "pixels" (whatever those are) for our use. I am afraid WhyNutt is to be recycled. But don't feel bad old chap! Happens even to the best of us, you know.

3v676YNl.jpg

Edited by Kragrathea

Krag, I'm sorry if I'm stealing your idea. In-fact I didn't even know about this until I posted my stuff. I'll take it down if you would like. I actually quite admire your work, although there are a couple things I would change. Anyways, do you have anyone else helping you? If not I'd be more than happy to help.

Hellooo Kerbals! I'm back after a long holiday.

Krag! Good to see you back! Hope your holiday was restful (or that at least you remembered to bring a towel.) Doughnuts can solve many ills. I must say that WhyNutt actually looks pretty good from what I can see. I continue to look forward to seeing more of your progress. And please, take whatever you need from our system (Kerbin and the Mun excepted of course) to satisfy your higher-ups (science knows we all have bosses with unreasonable expectations.) Best, Shifty.

Mr, Maul. The idea is not mine, nor the poor guy I got it from. Many, many have suggested new planets and a few have tried. Turns out it is much harder done than said.

But keep going my friend. I would point out to anyone who doubts you that that you have more posts than I did when I started raving about new planets to anyone who would listen. Everyone took me for a lunatic. How right they were... But screen shots go along way to dispelling the irrational Kerbals doubt.

Edited by Kragrathea

-Krag: Nah I don't mind if it's recycled. I'm just messing around. At least now I know how large planet textures need to be. Glad to see you back!

Edited by Nutt007

In a screw you to marketing here is another brainCam shot. When my driver Hering saw it he said "GoT" and snickered. I don't know what that means but it sounded nasty. And very likely to offend marketing. :) So enjoy.

r8HRVfgl.jpg