Hello all, I have had some troubles with spaceplanes.

I am currently on my twenty second design.

And its still failing.

It takes off like a dream, but then after that its a train wreck. It's velocity starts dying rapidly, I can keep it in the air for a little bit, but not long. It keeps wanting to nose down and to the right. Its frustrating me!

3IsHS54.jpg

I'm trying to get it to the point where those four little orange engines can take over, but I can barely get a kilometer away from the space center!

Anyways, can someone help me get to space with this thing?

mK0AST2.jpg

PS: If you need any pictures, or any more information on it, or any of that stuff, feel free to ask.

1. You should put some rudders on that puppy to gain some control over yaw.

2. You should try using one of the cockpits designed for spaceplanes, they're prettier IMO.

3. Is your center of mass in front of your center of lift? If not, you're going to have a bad day.

Also, I would personally use an engine with a higher ISP than those radial engines, you'll have more delta V when you switch over to the rocket engine(s). The Aeris 4A is a good starting point in terms of fuel loadout, engine configuration etc., however in its stock configuration it's center of mass is behind the center of lift. If you decide to modify the Aeris 4A move some of the control surfaces backwards/forwards and replace the rocket engine with the aerospike until the CoM is in front of the CoL.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.