Kerbal Khronicles

Deadweasel

[UPDATE]: The chapters are back online!  My mistake for relying on them to be hosted with the forums' blog feature, which was wiped out with the upgrade.  Thank Jeb there's the Internet Archive, and that I had the foresight to host the images myself, so nothing is lost.

Hi folks!

I've been cruising these forums for some time, but had been focusing largely on conversations surrounding specific events, procedures or other aspects of the game. Recently though, I realized that I was getting more into putting stories together for some of the in-game images I was sharing with the community.

That's when I suddenly remembered that the forums had an entire section devoted to just that very thing, and so now here I am to present the start of what I would like to become a solid series.

Okay, sure it's a bit niche but what better place to find a receptive audience than on a forum where others are already hard at work doing the same thing, right?

So allow me to present the Kerbal Khronicles, and hey, don't forget to let me know what you think of it!

Banner_Groupshot_clear.png

Credits (image and .craft sources)

Some of the images used in the chapters are -or are based on- others' works.

• NGTOne: Image, Chapter 1, "Far Horizon"
  • Massonius: Image, Chapter 1, "Kimcha's Death"
  • Artush: Image, Chapter 1, "Space Explosion"
  • Macey Dean: Craft, Chapter 3, "Far Horizon dock"

All other images by Deadweasel, using visual assets from Kerbal Space Program

Edited by Deadweasel

Holy.... this thing is incredible! I really do love how you managed to slowly introduce the back story, but now here's my constructive criticism.

1. More imagery and sensory details for certain parts of the story, such as of the ship or of the scout ship.

2. More details on how the kerbals salvaged all of the technology from the Horizon wreckage, or how they managed to save the technology. (You may be planning on posting this later, but I'm not really sure. :P).

Anyway, this story got me convinced it was indeed official. You are officially my favorite KSP storyteller! :):cool:

Holy.... this thing is incredible! I really do love how you managed to slowly introduce the back story, but now here's my constructive criticism.

1. More imagery and sensory details for certain parts of the story, such as of the ship or of the scout ship.

2. More details on how the kerbals salvaged all of the technology from the Horizon wreckage, or how they managed to save the technology. (You may be planning on posting this later, but I'm not really sure. :P).

Anyway, this story got me convinced it was indeed official. You are officially my favorite KSP storyteller! :):cool:

Wow... Thanks so much!

To address your points:

1. Bear in mind that I wrote this as an introduction and a means to ease into things I've already written as "dressing" for image sequences I was posting already, but there are more definitely more details coming for the ships in the next chapter.

2. I'm already working on the aspects of the story that go into more detail, such as how there could be a Bob, Bill, Nelnie, Mac and Jeb "a thousand cycles (Kerbin years) ago", and how five little Kerbals could possibly wind up creating the KSP as we know it today.

So to sum up:

"It's coming, it's coming. Keep your pantyhose on!

9CYf7oI.jpg

:D

Well... I'm looking forward to cloning and cryonic sleep technology being found under the location of the future ksp outpost, left behind by the mass effect core using protheans... . :):0.0:

I've gotten in touch with the original designer of the ship used in the first image of the chapter (NGTOne), so hopefully my computer will tolerate my attempts to beat it into oblivion long enough to produce some more pics for that, and future chapters. :D

Very happy to be sharing this niche right now! I've added a comment to your blog post so I'll not repeat myself here but suffice to say that I'm really looking forward to the next installment.

One more idea... the other KSC should become the ksc of the elders.

And, you could future proof this by adding the story of the re-rise of kimcha on kerbin with the creation of colonies and cities. :):cool:.

Edited by andrew123

PROGRESS UPDATE:

So I wrote what I thought I wanted to be Chapter 2.

As is part of my writing process, I sat back, read through the whole thing (for the umpteenth time), and considered how it presented itself to me by comparison to the one that came before it.

I realized two things about this latest effort.

The first thing was that I noticed I had somehow reverted back to a style of writing that was much more in-depth and focused on character-building than I had actually intended for this project, and I'm not so sure that it's the kind of thing that fans of the game would like to actually read. Essentially I feel it just gets a little too heavy and serious. There's a lot of character interaction to establish their relationships and such, and some tense action scenes as well, but as a whole I feel like the the chapter is a little bit TOO intricate, and doesn't really achieve the tone and ideas I had set out to convey in a rational span of time. It actually feels a lot like Mass Effect, which has a TON of dialogue and character building, but it starts feeling like a crazy amount of unnecessary detail after a time. It's a habit that stems from having spent quite a few years working on a series of three fairly big stories.

Basically, I set out to write a cool story series, and somehow switched gears to lay the groundwork for an entire novel instead. O_o

The second thing was that this chapter got loooooong, like many pages long. Related to first point above.

What I ended up producing tickles my writer's sense, but I think it's a bit too "Stephen King" in that it strives to paint out all the details for the reader instead of letting them build up their own. So I'm going to go back, strip out some of the unnecessary relationship stuff and re-focus on building the story's world much more than the characters.

So hang tight, I'm switching to Editor Mode and trimming out the slow-paced stuff so I can keep this thing feeling epic and light.

Huh. Believe it or not, but there is some readers who enjoy character-driven plot and serious approach to storyline. Not everything is about wacky shenanigans and exploding rockets *dives into cover to avoid raining stones and insults* Of course it's your story, but i'd gladly read this chapter before all 'heavy' stuff is shaved :) Another thing: did i read it right? You've wrote stories in Mass Effect universe? Can they be found on fanfiction.net perhaps? Could you send me a link?

Huh. Believe it or not, but there is some readers who enjoy character-driven plot and serious approach to storyline. Not everything is about wacky shenanigans and exploding rockets *dives into cover to avoid raining stones and insults* Of course it's your story, but i'd gladly read this chapter before all 'heavy' stuff is shaved :) Another thing: did i read it right? You've wrote stories in Mass Effect universe? Can they be found on fanfiction.net perhaps? Could you send me a link?

Hmmm.... Well if that's the case, I suppose I could do the final touch-ups and put this one out there then; see how it goes.

Oh no, I didn't do any writing for Mass Effect, I think that story stands very well on its own for the most part. Although, I have to admit that if ME1 and 2 were like getting into a hot air balloon and discovering the vast land all around, 3 was like a continuation of that, except just as you start to catch a glimpse of something even more incredible on the horizon, the pilot decides to torch the balloon and go kamikaze instead. :/

The big stuff I mentioned working on is original material, roughly 900 pages over three books (and counting O_O)

EDIT:

Okay, I'm still not really sure how it will fly (so to speak) here, but I'm willing to give it a try and see what the readers think.

To that end, I'm focusing on getting images put together for it, and it'll be golden!

Edited by Deadweasel

Alright guys, just remember you asked for it.

We did - and it was delivered. In spades.

Started reading this morning before I left for work and I consider it no small feat to have refrained from reading the rest until lunch!

Just read the two chapters one after the other and I have to say, you're a fine writer! I look forward to your next releases.

My two pence would be that the tone of your first chapter was serious, rather dark (nothing like extinction to set the story), and frantic. This then suddenly switched to the maniac-we-love jeb in chapter 2. It felt like a bit of a whiplash change in mood and character, although it got back to being lovely and serious (i do prefer these stories with serious and dark undertones on top of the casual life, lends a story life and believable-ness imho) in good time so I guess its not much complaint at all in the end ^^

Like many above me have said, I also am all for character development and chapters longer than my arm! Keep up the good work!

oh and one more thing, I love your image integration, as well as the quality of the images themselves. Lovely art style, can't wait to feast my eyes again!

Just read the two chapters one after the other and I have to say, you're a fine writer! I look forward to your next releases.

My two pence would be that the tone of your first chapter was serious, rather dark (nothing like extinction to set the story), and frantic. This then suddenly switched to the maniac-we-love jeb in chapter 2. It felt like a bit of a whiplash change in mood and character, although it got back to being lovely and serious (i do prefer these stories with serious and dark undertones on top of the casual life, lends a story life and believable-ness imho) in good time so I guess its not much complaint at all in the end ^^

Ah yes, but there's a very good reason for the jarring change in his personality. You may have noticed Bob trying to talk to him about it, but Jeb brushing him off or evading it each time.

"Bob recognized a defense mechanism when he saw it."

Each of the crew has their own issues to deal with after having experienced such an unbelievable tragedy. They went from having been born on a ship and taught they would one day lead everybody to their salvation on Kerbin, to fleeing in terror from the only home they had ever known, forever losing almost everything precious to them in the process while everybody and every thing they knew and loved was destroyed.

• Both Bob and Bill have lost somebody close to them in the same individual (Gindal), and are wanting to go back to the Horizon to find whatever resolution they possibly can to patch the hole left in their lives.
  • Nelnie is coping by starting a new family, having been alone for years on the Horizon previously, but is frustrated to realize she wants something more.
  • Mackenzie (Mac) is focusing almost all of her energy and attention on the forge (the garage), finding some solace in playing as big a part as she can in the group's continued survival and growth
  • Jeb, meanwhile, hasn't yet faced the things that are haunting him. He's been through a great deal as well; recall his own loss on the Horizon's bridge. But, he's got an even heavier weight on his shoulders, which is at the core of why he almost seems to have a split personality.

To go into any further detail delves into spoiler territory! :sealed:

Like many above me have said, I also am all for character development and chapters longer than my arm! Keep up the good work!

Thanks very much for your encouragement! This is the kind of writing I really love to do most, so it's good to know I can just let all these ideas flow freely without having to bring down the Edit Hammer so heavily on them. :D

oh and one more thing, I love your image integration, as well as the quality of the images themselves. Lovely art style, can't wait to feast my eyes again!

I saw a couple of folks doing similar things with their screenshots, and thought about how cool it would be to bring elements from the game into a realistic environment, and use them to help illustrate a story that's striving to do the same thing. You can count on more of that as the chapters progress. ^_^

Edited by Deadweasel

Just read the first chapter

It should be a fricken book.

I agree. This is practically professional-grade, final-draft, ready-to-be-published book quality. All it needs is an excellent title and an excellent book cover. When it's finished, that is.

I agree. This is practically professional-grade, final-draft, ready-to-be-published book quality. All it needs is an excellent title and an excellent book cover. When it's finished, that is.

No, a book isn't enough.

This needs to be a movie.

Or a TV show.

OR REAL LIFE

xP.

Stand by folks, progress is being made on Chapter 3. :)

In the meantime, I'm also still trying like mad to get a pose-able kerbal model working, but am having bad luck coming to grips with 3DS Max, and even then, I'm still going to need to figure out how to work even deeper with this system in order to create the various expressions, clothes and hairstyles I'm envisioning for these guys, based on ideas the Kerbalizer helped to seed (see my sig banner).

So far, all I've been able to get going is the model itself, but no progress getting it posed yet.

The intention is to change the models enough so that the imagery I produce with them will take them outside the realm of Squad's stock look. Not because I intend to sell or distribute these in any way, but because I want to do more than what is possible with the stock assets, and maybe give them some ideas for enhancements for these little guys in the process!

hjjJodO.jpg

Back to writing! :D

Edited by Deadweasel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.