Kerbal Khronicles

Deadweasel

...and off we go!

"Kerbal Khronicles - 03 - Ghosts, Part I" is now live. :)

I'm trying a slightly different layout, as I discovered I was often losing my place from line-to-line while reading in such a wide format. Please let me know if you find this a help or a hindrance.

Edited by Deadweasel

...and off we go!

"kerbal khronicles - 03 - ghosts, part i" is now live. :)

i'm trying a slightly different layout, as i discovered i was often losing my place from line-to-line while reading in such a wide format. Please let me know if you find this a help or a hindrance.

YES.

tenchar

Chapter 4 is up!

Not so much in the way of imagery this time, but I'm already working on stuff for the next one. :)

EDIT:

Oh snap! I forgot one of the images! I'll finish that one up and add it in.

EDIT 2:

Meh, nevermind. It's not worth the effort for that particular image. There's no action in it, nor can I really make it interesting without creating a lot more from scratch than I'm prepared to spend the time on.

Next time around!

Edited by Deadweasel

Please! I need a new chapter! I just want to know, how hard is it to make those images?

The images aren't too difficult as long as you know what you're doing in Photoshop.

I've been messing around with it since way back in Photoshop 3, and I'm still learning little tricks that make an image look epic.

Recently I got into layer modes that allow me to shortcut the process of creating realistic engine flames and smoke, and give bright light elements that thing that makes them really pop. The one scene of the scout hovering up to the cliff side represents quite a few firsts for me in particular, and provided the first opportunity I'd had in quite some time to put the warp tool to serious use.

I've gotten acquainted with how some people are doing their time-lapse caps of their artwork creation process, so I'm thinking of doing something similar while creating the images for chapter 5. It might not pan out too well though, so if I don't get to do it for this chapter, (based on the fact that a good chunk of the story happens where I can't easily create images for it), then I'll most certainly be able to for chapter 6. Whenever I can do it though, I'll be sure to include a link to it in the original post alongside the chapter links. :)

In the meantime, I'm also still trying to keep a lookout for a means of either creating or getting my hands on a Kerbal model that I can pose, which will pave the way for quite a few more images. Currently I can only really create scenes that can be sourced from the game, but if I could get a poseable Kerbal that I can modify for each of the crew members, I could go completely crazy with the artwork. I've already been working on their "all-home" and garage in Sketchup, so if the day comes when I can actually put kerbals into those scenes, I'll be ready to go. :)

Any important status updates :) I really want to see the next chapter, but please don't rush yourself. :)

Absolutely!

I got a bit held back by the new update's bugs, which were killing my ability to toy around and generate the source images I wanted for the story (playing around idly in the game also gives me story ideas, which I'm needing to help flesh out this chapter).

I've since found a plugin that fixes the constant hitching, so I'm back in the game (literally!). Now it's just a matter of getting the time to get back on the writing, which is thin during the week thanks to my day job.

Story-wise, I'm kind of at a sticking point, where I want to do a little development on the new characters, but I want to get back to the cool action stuff sooner rather than later, and I'm having a hard time doing that without skipping important plot points or making it too jarring of a transition.

Basically, I'm at a point where I'm writing out a bunch of stuff, reading it, not liking it, and scrapping it to start that portion over again in a different direction. It happens all the time with any serious writing effort, but rest assured it's being worked on, and you can look forward to another glut of releases once I'm past these sticking points. :)

Just wanted to let folks know I'm still working on this!

I got a little sidetracked when an idea suddenly hit me out of the blue, regarding using KSP ships in my own custom imagery. I'm still complete crap with the major 3D programs, but that's largely due to my having gotten into 3D starting with Sketchup, which created a lot of habits that run completely counter to the way the other guys do things.

Anyway, I thought I would slog through this idea and see if it would work, pulling an assembled craft direct from the running game, then converting it for use in Sketchup. Turns out it's not all that bad! Although the textures are a pain to translate, I might be able to ignore the originals and do my own skinning instead to give the whole thing that much more polish.

So, I got to work on putting together stuff for the survivors' homestead, starting with the "garage"...

t57yLRx.jpg

Ahh nuts! I saw the update to the thread and was hoping for another chapter on the blog. Not to worry - good to know things are still rumbling along and I do like the sneak peek into the Garage!

You should make the structure more rusty and damaged (dents 'n' stuff) from being salvaged from the ship. That would make more sense in the series (at least, that's what I think). Other than that, it looks really cool! Keep up the good work!

The diggers (and this little fella) are new builds. The scout, on the other hand, definitely needs a good beatin'. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.