Problem with a chute

Hello all. I've been playing ksp for over a week now and i'm enjoying every second of it. Everything was running smoothly until today when i ran into an interesting problem.So i've created recently a spaceplane, which has a drogue chute in the back, just to brake when the plane lands. However the chute when deployed, it gets cut(?) and a red parachute icon replaces the one on the left. I thought at first it was because of the exhaust gases of the engines, but after retrying landing and shutting down the engines, the chute still gets cut.Screenshots:

6DFF8267BD6832029D34EF557D12DE022900E8E9

Front view

58D786576A8A135EF24F5CE225210BEBA9ECA78D

Back view

2BF7B7FE44AD99348754E70AE877FFA7749F6FBC

Side view

9FC78C903C15F3B33A0D077F251B5401FBC0847E

Landing and deploying the chute. As you can see the icon on the left has turned red and there is no visible signs of a parachute.

C7C4F7398812252F84C6F3324D4B5B2907B07F75

No chute behind, also.

So, any ideas?

P.S. If this isn't the correct thread sorry, i'm new to the forums.

All parachutes are automatically cut when vertical velocity equals 0. This unfortunately means they cannot be used to stop a vehicle traveling level across the ground, and will also result in the loss of chutes during a powered landing if you begin accelerating upward.

All parachutes are automatically cut when vertical velocity equals 0. This unfortunately means they cannot be used to stop a vehicle traveling level across the ground, and will also result in the loss of chutes during a powered landing if you begin accelerating upward.

Thanks for the info and the fast reply :)

You can assign the chute to an action group to deploy, and it will not cut until you tell it to i believe. I've never tried it, but it's worth a shot.

Nope. It doesn't matter, they still cut when on the ground.

I would love to see a seperate braking chute in game, for use on the ground, depending on horizontal speed (when lower than e.g. 2-3 m/s cut) instead of vertical. Could be useful for improving safety on heavy spaceplanes - while runway at KSC is always long enough, crap may hit the fan and you may end up having 1/3 of runway to stop. That's why IRL shuttles had braking chutes - they could wheelbrake at 4.5 km long runway at SLF without any problem but lower roll is always safier if you can perform it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.