The Rocket/Jet Powered Rover Speed Challenge

AnJiHns.jpg

Introduction

Hi there, this is a straightforward but challenging, uhh, challenge! The goal of the challenge is to make a rover go as fast as possible while maintaining enough stability to make sure your Kerbals survive (the fatality rate for employees at KSC is high enough as it is, don't you think?). I have spent a couple of hours this evening to test how far I could push my rovers, and it is possible to go quite fast. Check post number 2 by the way for some of my own designs!

Rules

• Although wings may be used, your craft is never allowed to lift from the ground!
  • Parts are allowed to fall off (**** happens), but only one (1) stage is allowed. You are not allowed to decouple parts of your craft.
  • Your rover must be able to travel at the minimum speed described in the Challenge Mode for at least 10 seconds.
  • Your rover must be able to come to a complete halt in a safe manner as to allow the Kerbals to survive.
  • The challenge must be attempted near the KSC grounds!

Challenge Modes

All wonderful mods the community creates can somewhat tip the favour in an unwanted direction in some challenges. Therefore I will make a note of who has used mods or not. No mods are restricted except for those that are obviously game-breaking (engines that don't require fuel for example).

I have divided the challenges into different modes and tiers. The mode sets the general challenge while tiers are simply different levels of difficulty. The harder ones might yield rewards.

Skunk Mode

Description: Everything goes. No restrictions in parts count or number of engines used. Want to use 10000 RCS thrusters? Go ahead, may your Kerbal die in a blazing ball of glory and fame.

Tier 1

Reach a minimum speed of at least 340 m/s, roughly equivalent of Mach 1.

Tier 2

Reach a minimum speed of at least 255 m/s.

Tier 3

Reach a minimum speed of at least 170 m/s.

Austerity Mode

Description: KSC has had its funding cut by congress. As a result, most of the available funds goes to Jeb's boosters. You are now restricted in how many parts you can use.

Tier 1

Reach a minimum speed of at least 240 m/s while having no more than 20 parts, only one (1) engine allowed and no RCS.

Tier 2

Reach a minimum speed of at least 160 m/s while having no more than 40 parts and only one (1) engine for propulsion.

Tier 3

Reach a minimum speed of at least 160 m/s m/s while having no more than 40 parts.

Funky Mode

Description: The factory making Funky Chunky Banana-Rama Ice Cream has exploded. Since all Kerbals, except you, are exceptionally addicted to it they are now experiencing extremely dangerous withdrawal symptoms. You are the only Kerbal on KSC grounds able to race to the next town over, get some fresh bananas and then synthesize an antidote. Time is essential, the whole future of the Kerbal Space Program depends on you!

Tier 1

Accelerate from 0 m/s to 240 m/s in under 6 seconds, maintain a minimum of 240 m/s for 30 seconds and then decelerate to 0 m/s in under 6 seconds.

Tier 2

Accelerate from 0 m/s to 160 m/s in under 8 seconds, maintain a minimum of 160 m/s for 30 seconds and then decelerate to 0 m/s in under 8 seconds.

Tier 3

Accelerate from 0 m/s to 120 m/s in under 10 seconds, maintain a minimum of 120 m/s for 30 seconds and then decelerate to 0 m/s in under 10 seconds.

Insane Mode

Description: Various extremely difficult challenges.

The Fly-by

Without using any parts with lift, jump over the rocket launch pad by using one of the sloped edges as a ramp. You must at some time during your "flight" be over the central elevated part of the launch pad, and travel the long way over it. Your rover is allowed to crash after it has cleared the other edge, just make sure your Kerbal survives somehow. Perhaps pillows might help?

Landing the rover at the other end without it breaking up or crashing grants an additional 2000 points. No more than 10% of the parts may fall off and it has to be somewhat operational afterwards as well.

Additional Boosters Required

Reach a minimum speed of 1000 m/s. You may do it anywhere on Kerbin, and additional stages and decoupling is allowed. Leading Kerbal scientists suggests taking your Eeloo launch vehicle, rotating it to a horizontal orientation and then strapping some wheels and a command chair to it. Just make sure you point the death-machine away from any vital buildings before detonating, errr, I mean launching.

The Jack of All Trades

A deranged scientist at KSC has placed your rover in a vertical orientation on the rocket launch pad. Can you reach an altitude of at least 8000 m? You must use a rover that has been previously submitted and completed at least one (1) of any tier in any mode. You are not allowed to make any alterations except placing it in the VAB in the correct position and attaching TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancers.

The Minimalist

Make a rover using 10 parts or less and weighing 10 tonnes or less go faster than 200 m/s.

Scoring

Each mode will have a top list of the best crafts. Some people will beat the Tier 1 challenges, and these will obviously be placed higher than those completing Tier 2 or 3 challenges. Scoring amongst contributions in the same tier will be judged on an attribute relevant to the challenge mode. Detailed list below.

• General Scoring
  • Tier 1 entries start with 1000 points.
  • Tier 2 entries start with 500 points.
  • Tier 3 entries start with 100 points.

• Skunk Mode
  • If using less than 60 parts you receive the difference times 10 in points.
  • Every m/s above the minimum speed (during the entire time required) yields an additional 6 points.

• Austerity Mode
  • If using less than 40 parts you receive the difference times 20 in points.
  • Every m/s above the minimum speed (during the entire time required) yields an additional 8 points.

• Funky Mode
  • If using less than 40 parts you receive the difference times 15 in points.
  • Every m/s above the minimum speed (during the entire time required) yields an additional 10 points.

• Insane Mode
  • Completing an insane challenge will grant you 3000 points. If you argue for more points I might grant you them if the argument is well thought out and eloquently presented.

Rewards

Completing one of the Tier 1 challenges or one of the insane challenges yields a custom flag/badge. I don't know what you would want to use it for? Planting the flag somewhere or using the badge in your signature. Quality not assured.

Suggestions and notes

The stock wheels are not good enough to complete some of these challenges. I suggest using the Small Gear Bay if you are just using stock wheels (like I did) since they are far more suited for high speeds. Just be prepared to use a lot of them, and ohh, you can't steer with them. It might also be a good idea to use some of the jet engines since they require less fuel and weigh less.

Note 1

Some challenges has been modified to reflect the ease by which some of them were completed. I really want the Insane Challenges to be, well, insane. And the Tier 1 challenges to be difficult. I hope you don't mind!

Edited by Layer23

The "do not crash" restriction makes this quite different from other landspeed challenges, i like it. Here is my stock entry for the Austerity Mode:

A single Aerospike accellerates this death trap to over 200m/s. Here is a successful run that did not kill the pilot (click the image for the video)

Ex0657y.png

(Music: Snakecharmeraz - Blindfold Eyes)

24 parts (not counting the two decoration antennas), top speed 205m/s, >190m/s sustained speed for 10 seconds.

Score:

Austerity Mode - Tier 1: 1000, Bonus for less than 50 parts: 26*40=1040, Bonus for excess speed: 20m/s*6=120, total 2160

Insane Mode - Minimalist (i think this is way too easy): 2500

Skunk Mode - Tier 2: 500, Bonus for less than 80 parts: 56*10=560, Bonus for excess speed: 20m/s*6=120, total 1180

total (not sure if we can add the scores from different modes): 5840

Are there any restrictions on where the attempt has to take place? I guess the arctic flats allow for much safer cruising at high speeds :)

Edited by SirJodelstein
Edit: this is also a skunk mode entry

I tried this thing to see what happens if I put a jet engine over the rover, the results are great, but appears to be an old steam train...

This ship has 11 parts (there's a hidden toroidal tank inside the jet engine) and weights 8.23 tons

Skunk mode

Tier2 500 points

(80-11)*10 parts =690 points

Speed 198 m/s = 56 points

Austerity mode

Tier 3 100 points

(50-11)*40 parts = 1560 points

(198-100)*6 m/s = 588 points

Insane mode:

The minimalist, 11 parts, 8,23 tonnes and max speed 198 ms = 2500 points

This adds: 5994 points.

I have one that can go in a couple of classes. It's 25 parts, weighs 5.33T, accelerates 0-200m/s in under 6 seconds and decelerates 200-0m/s in 9 seconds, Top speed is 264m/s. It uses Sceppies mini-pack, TT Wheels/MK4 jet engine and FS Air-brakes.

It looks like:

Skunk Mode - Tier 2 - (500 + (55*10) + (94*2)) = 1238

Austerity Mode - Tier 1 - (1000 + (25*40) + (94*6)) = 2846

Funky Mode - Tier 1 - (1000 + (55*20) + (64*4)) = 2356

Insane Mode - The minimalist, The Fly By (2500 + 2500) = 5000

The total is 11440, Insane mode seems to have a couple of easy large point'ers. I have a vid of the flyby if you want to see it - the short way over not the long way.

wjb.png

(heres a video if anyone wants it

)

I used Ferram Aerospace, I don't know if that isn't allowed. :P

448.8 Meters Per Second

That gets me All Tiers of "Skunk Mode", the 10x bonus for being under 80 parts, and the bonus for going above 340 M/s.

(Sorry I didn't do the math :blush:)

General Note

Due to my underestimate of you guys incredible ingenuity I have decided to modify some of the easier challenges. Specifically the part count requirements for the Austerity Mode Challenges and the Insane Challenges The Minimalist (part count) and The Fly By (long way required). I will revise the scoring for the current entries, I hope you don't mind. However, I will note who completed the Insane Challenges in a "Legacy Mode" section under the scoring segment. And let me just preface this by saying that the entries so far are quite amazing! :)

The "do not crash" restriction makes this quite different from other landspeed challenges, i like it. Here is my stock entry for the Austerity Mode:

A single Aerospike accellerates this death trap to over 200m/s. Here is a successful run that did not kill the pilot (click the image for the video)

24 parts (not counting the two decoration antennas), top speed 205m/s, >190m/s sustained speed for 10 seconds.

Score:

Austerity Mode - Tier 1: 1000, Bonus for less than 50 parts: 26*40=1040, Bonus for excess speed: 20m/s*6=120, total 2160

Insane Mode - Minimalist (i think this is way too easy): 2500

Skunk Mode - Tier 2: 500, Bonus for less than 80 parts: 56*10=560, Bonus for excess speed: 20m/s*6=120, total 1180

total (not sure if we can add the scores from different modes): 5840

Are there any restrictions on where the attempt has to take place? I guess the arctic flats allow for much safer cruising at high speeds :)

Wow, I never thought such a small rover could travel so fast. Haha it really looks like a death trap, but it handled surprisingly well. Good job! I will edit the rules segment to note that the speed attempt has to take place close to the KSC area.

I tried this thing to see what happens if I put a jet engine over the rover, the results are great, but appears to be an old steam train...

This ship has 11 parts (there's a hidden toroidal tank inside the jet engine) and weights 8.23 tons

Skunk mode

Tier2 500 points

(80-11)*10 parts =690 points

Speed 198 m/s = 56 points

Austerity mode

Tier 3 100 points

(50-11)*40 parts = 1560 points

(198-100)*6 m/s = 588 points

Insane mode:

The minimalist, 11 parts, 8,23 tonnes and max speed 198 ms = 2500 points

This adds: 5994 points.

Oh my god, that was pretty awesome when you activated the rear rocket. Super fast acceleration, i loved it! I will definitely try to incorporate this into one of my new designs.

I have one that can go in a couple of classes. It's 25 parts, weighs 5.33T, accelerates 0-200m/s in under 6 seconds and decelerates 200-0m/s in 9 seconds, Top speed is 264m/s. It uses Sceppies mini-pack, TT Wheels/MK4 jet engine and FS Air-brakes.

It looks like:

Skunk Mode - Tier 2 - (500 + (55*10) + (94*2)) = 1238

Austerity Mode - Tier 1 - (1000 + (25*40) + (94*6)) = 2846

Funky Mode - Tier 1 - (1000 + (55*20) + (64*4)) = 2356

Insane Mode - The minimalist, The Fly By (2500 + 2500) = 5000

The total is 11440, Insane mode seems to have a couple of easy large point'ers. I have a vid of the flyby if you want to see it - the short way over not the long way.

Great simple design, and you managed to complete the Funky Mode Tier 1 challenge, impressive! But I would love to see you attempt it near the KSC grounds (since it's a little bumpier). I hope it's not too much hassle, and I apologize for being unclear about where the challenges should be attempted :/

I used Ferram Aerospace, I don't know if that isn't allowed. :P

448.8 Meters Per Second

That gets me All Tiers of "Skunk Mode", the 10x bonus for being under 80 parts, and the bonus for going above 340 M/s.

(Sorry I didn't do the math :blush:)

Great design, awesome video, awesome KIA glitch. But like I said to Darren9, i would love for you to reattempt it near the KSC grounds! Sorry once again for being unclear in the opening post about this. I will add an insane challenge for the ice caps! I hope you can beat it with a revised design (tip: add more engines!!!) :)

Great job guys, I love what I've seen so far. And let me just say that you all surprised me by your minimalistic and stable designs. Keep up the good work!

The opening post has been revised with altered challenges and scoring. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions you might have. I will wait to create the scoreboard until tomorrow morning in order to allow you guys to have some time to vent your opinions. Thanks for checking in and keep up the good work!

Are FS propeller engines acceptable? There's also some aviation fuel/RCS/Electric engines that specifically power the TT multi-wheels. Both of them seem to have been reasonably balanced to the stock parts.

Are FS propeller engines acceptable? There's also some aviation fuel/RCS/Electric engines that specifically power the TT multi-wheels. Both of them seem to have been reasonably balanced to the stock parts.

I don't see why not, if you think they are reasonably balanced I won't argue that point with you.

Edited by Layer23

Well, they're low powered but also very low mass and have thrust reversing which allows for extremely small rovers with the necessary 12:1 TWR for tier 1 acceleration. I've got a 0.76T 18 part two man lawn mower that could make it into tier 1 Austerity and Funky modes, I've also reached 15,100m height and cleared the launchpad plus 4 or 5 times further with a reverse thrust landing and 5% damage with both kerbs surviving - I could maybe argue some extra points for the excess on the Insane mode challenges.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.