Fastest Drop Pod from Orbit to Landing

This was a great challenge I must say. I had a lot of fun building and repeatedly crashing various pods.

I finally managed to get one onto firm ground in 1:22.

Proof is here:

Deorbit burn started at 0:45, smashdown at 2:07, total time 1:22

Bonus Score:

Landed at KSC

Didn't land at high speed perhaps (~15 m/s), but a part broke at least...

Thrusted downwards

Maybe not practical size, but could fit a few to a station

Deployed from station

Holy crap that was so intense, when you got so close to the station at 2 km/s I honestly had no idea how you planned to stop but it totally worked.

In the background I was starting up KSP and decided to watch your video while I waited for assets to load, and no lie the moment your engines started the de-orbit burn the triumphant sounding opening theme for KSP started up much louder than the music in your video, and for the entire rest of the video I thought that was part of it because it fit so well.

Holy crap that was so intense, when you got so close to the station at 2 km/s I honestly had no idea how you planned to stop but it totally worked.

In the background I was starting up KSP and decided to watch your video while I waited for assets to load, and no lie the moment your engines started the de-orbit burn the triumphant sounding opening theme for KSP started up much louder than the music in your video, and for the entire rest of the video I thought that was part of it because it fit so well.

There was a fair bit of luck involved... I was using the Jeb-approved method of trial-and-death to get a sucessful landing :)

so 61 second till i hit the ground from orbit

(burn starts at 0:22 ground collation 1:21 motionless 1:30).

it might not be safe and properly terrifying but its fart and that's what counts even tho i might be braking the spirit of the challenge.

landing speed 93.8 mp/s

burn down the whole flight

i could dock that monstrosity to a station but no that would be silly its a speed machine nothing else,

tho do hope its the fastest as it was awesome to fly.

is it ok to use parachutes at the last second?

I'm pretty sure it is, but the reason this challenge hasn't seen them is because things tend to break when they are opened below 500m disreef altitude (often the parachute just tears off.) I've both observed this in many Youtube videos, and frequently have it happen myself (and that's without even attempting this challenge!)

Prediction: someone's going to carve out a special category where the "stable" orbit starting point is about 25km circular, which is stable for an unloaded craft.

I think i just did a 73 second run any way here is the video so you can judge for your selth there was a lot of smoke and noise but forgot a ladder so traped kerbles and i dont want to do it agane just to put on a ladder

Lunch 1:35

stoped moving at 2:48

.PS as a last second parachutes test i did this in 69 seconds

Lunch 35

stoped moving at 1:44

now with craft file

Edited by fluffysnowcap

• 2 months later...

I have an ODSK Pod. I haven't timed it, but it falls pretty fast. Does someone want to test it for me? I am really bad at challenges like this.

Here's the craft file: Doesn't include a lifter, so you're going to have to get it into orbit yourself. :sticktongue:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4yO5N6w_cQaUjhHR3lHU3JFX2s/edit?usp=sharing

Useful info:

Slowed down by 12 seperatrons. Use space to fire the groups at 2000 m, 500 m, and 200 - 250 m. Don't worry if the speed goes over a hundred after firing the last retro rocket group, it can take that. The staging might be messed up, be warned.

Contains one ODSK. (Orbital Drop Shock Kerbal)

Press 1 to fire the rockomax on top.

Gear extends the ladder.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.