Vehicle notes

KSK

Just a quick post to say that I'm really enjoying the ability to add notes to my ship designs. It's a small thing but adds a lot to the immersion. For example I've just completed a very simple four flight program using the 1-kerbal capsule and iterating the design between flights. The notes let me add some history to that - reasons for iterations based on past mission, which Kerbal flew the previous mission etc. Its just nice to be able to select a ship from the launch pad and then get all the history and mission notes along with it - feels much more like a coherent space program.

It's possible that building a rover (plus a pod on legs to get crew out to the pad to drive the rover) for the sole purpose of driving over to the old capsule monument and planting a commemorative flag at the end of the program was a little over the top :)

In the VAB or SPH, if you click in the "name" field at the top a box will drop down beneath it; you can click into that and type text that will be saved when you save the craft's file.

It's immensely useful (noting down what Action Groups do, reminders on weirdnesses of the design, "to do" lists to improve it, etc) and a lot of fun to write sometimes. A few of my notes include warnings to keep Jeb away from certain levers...

-- Steve

I really like this feature too. It's much easier now to keep track of what the difference is between a bunch of variations on the same design now, or to look back and remember what design spawned what.

I think the next step to make it really great would be for the description and maybe a thumbnail (fully zoomed out view, saved automatically) to load when you scrolled through ships on the selection ui.

I like it too. Really nice. Now if they could only do something about organizing the ship selection screen (when loading it in the editor).

Yeah, wonder if they could do a tabbed menu, similar to what they have for the Map screen. Problem is I'm not sure how well automagic sorting would work. You could filter out the stock designs and do a crude kerballed vs non kerballed separation but beyond that I think you'd need to be able to drag and drop ships yourself between the different tabs. If I launch a monster booster with a crew cabin, a hitchhiker module and a rover on it, (not unrealistic) then how do you pigeonhole that? :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.