[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

is the name of the file in the zip archive, but the part.cfg file references WarpPlugin/Parts/Science/Telescope/model.mu:

Because of the case difference, the model fails to load. To correct it, I manually rename the files and folders to the proper case to match the cfg file, and then everything loads as expected.

Strange, the case is capitalized correctly on my system and when I download it. You may have a bug with your .zip extraction.

aka "stupid reason why I don't bother with linux #1023423243" :P

Regardless, I'll remove folder references where I can to help alleviate these issues if I can.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Haven't had the problem with any other mods, and didn't have it with the copy of Interstellar I got back in 0.23.5. I suppose it could be an issue with my zip decompressor, but given that it's been around for several decades it seems that a bug of that magnitude would have been fixed by now. But bugs are everywhere. I know because I write quite a few of them myself.

Your efforts both at folder reference removal and other endeavours is greatly appreciated. We are in your debt.

KSP isn't accepting the models if it doesn't have the full warpplugin path designated, which is strange. I don't know anything about modeling, but maybe it is an issue with the models themselves. Unfortunately I do not have access to the raw models. It appears to be problem only on those parts that include the full path, which explains why the full path is included in the part.cfg to begin with. I have no resolution other than to check your .zip program for errors, because I can't reproduce the issue on mine. All the paths are capitolized correctly on both the system I upload and test with and the zip thaT i receive from dropbox.

mmm, may be an issue with dropbox, now that I think of it. Some sort of compatibility thing that they do for linux.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

I've compressed the download on dropbox, hopefully that will resolve the issue. Please let me know.

FYI, for those interested I've updated the repo on github. I had forgotten to do so for a while.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

I think I found a price typo, the 2.5m basic fission reactor is 5 times the price of the 3.75m.

That is intentional. It's a rough compensation for the increased twr of reactor scaling. I will admit that it is very rough, but it is intended to help reactors create a niche. I'll be revisiting reactors and scaling in general soon.

I was wanting to apply some of the part upgrade mechanics in Interstellar to vanilla parts in KSP. I am assuming this is not a vanilla feature, and so I would need Interstellar installed for it to work, correct? Also, is there any way I could siphon off that part of the mod to make a smaller mod that just does the upgrade mechanics for personal use? (I wouldn't distribute it without permission). It is a feature that I would like to have on my less modded playthroughs without all the parts and complicated other mechanics. Thanks!

I was wanting to apply some of the part upgrade mechanics in Interstellar to vanilla parts in KSP. I am assuming this is not a vanilla feature, and so I would need Interstellar installed for it to work, correct? Also, is there any way I could siphon off that part of the mod to make a smaller mod that just does the upgrade mechanics for personal use? (I wouldn't distribute it without permission). It is a feature that I would like to have on my less modded playthroughs without all the parts and complicated other mechanics. Thanks!

Not really, the upgrade mechanics are specific to individual modules implemented in kspi.

Not really, the upgrade mechanics are specific to individual modules implemented in kspi.

I don't know much about Kerbal modding, but I would have thought it possible to make a mod which only adds the relevant upgrade modules to KSP so the necessary lines could be added to stock part configs.

I don't know much about Kerbal modding, but I would have thought it possible to make a mod which only adds the relevant upgrade modules to KSP so the necessary lines could be added to stock part configs.

You can add modules for interstellar to stock parts, or reskin interstellar parts to look like stock, both of which would require interstellar to be installer in order to work. But as far as the upgrade thing, as I said, it is specific to certain modules as to how it will function. It is not something that editing a text file can configure, as that functionality is hard coded within the compiled .dll that gives interstellar it's functionality.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by upgrade. It is unclear what exactly you are trying to do. Upgrade and module have a very specific meaning in this context. I am unsure that you are using them with that specific meaning. Perhaps you could use an example of what you mean?

Edited by WaveFunctionP

That is intentional. It's a rough compensation for the increased twr of reactor scaling. I will admit that it is very rough, but it is intended to help reactors create a niche. I'll be revisiting reactors and scaling in general soon.

What confuses me is that the 2.5m liquid/gas core FISSION reactor is priced the same as the 2.5m Tokamak FUSION reactor at 2.5 million, compared to 500 thousand for the 3.75m liquid/gas core fission reactor which puts out six times the power of its 2.5m counterpart. Thus, I see no practical economic reason to use the 2.5m Aegletes reactor as it is for anything. Does anyone else see a use?

I do appreciate the updates though.

You can add modules for interstellar to stock parts, or reskin interstellar parts to look like stock, both of which would require interstellar to be installer in order to work. But as far as the upgrade thing, as I said, it is specific to certain modules as to how it will function. It is not something that editing a text file can configure, as that functionality is hard coded within the compiled .dll that gives interstellar it's functionality.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by upgrade. It is unclear what exactly you are trying to do. Upgrade and module have a very specific meaning in this context. I am unsure that you are using them with that specific meaning. Perhaps you could use an example of what you mean?

By upgrade, I mean the fact that when you research certain nodes, parts get different stats. By module, I mean the part of the .dll that adds the upgrade functionality. What I am asking is if it is possible for me to make a different .dll which only adds the upgrade modules from the original KSPI .dll, and if so, how I would go about doing it. I know nothing about .dll files, but my guess is that it might be possible to de-compile the .dll, find the bit that does the upgrading, and re-compile just that part of it. Sorry for wasting your time if it's not possible and I'm just blabbering.

I'll need to know the specific problems in order to correct them. I haven't done much by the way of name changing for a while now.

I don't know how many hours you spent but i just tried the latest hotfix you did for 24.2 and it worked just fine. I put a fission reactor and a thermal rocket with one lfo tank above it, staged, and it took off. So you must of done something right~! No seriously thank you for making this work in 24!

I don't know how many hours you spent but i just tried the latest hotfix you did for 24.2 and it worked just fine. I put a fission reactor and a thermal rocket with one lfo tank above it, staged, and it took off. So you must of done something right~! No seriously thank you for making this work in 24!

Are your reactors generating electrical power and so on as well? They don't show fuel deprived messages when you right click on them? Because I've got the latest experimental version and the reactors still aren't working. A thermal rocket attached to one will make engine noises, but no actual thrust.

Looking at solar power stations it looks like it isn't just reactors. Nothing seems to be generating waste heat or megajoules even with loads of deployed solar arrays.

What confuses me is that the 2.5m liquid/gas core FISSION reactor is priced the same as the 2.5m Tokamak FUSION reactor at 2.5 million, compared to 500 thousand for the 3.75m liquid/gas core fission reactor which puts out six times the power of its 2.5m counterpart. Thus, I see no practical economic reason to use the 2.5m Aegletes reactor as it is for anything. Does anyone else see a use?

I do appreciate the updates though.

That would be a type. The basic idea is that each tier is equal in cost to that of the size below, but one tier above.

So something like 3.75 fission/2.5 fusion/1.25 antimatter all should be roughly the same cost. And each size is roughly 5 times the cost of the size below. I was assuming each size is 4 times the output, which left a progressive increase in cost up the sizes and tiers. I had a lot of values to edit and I was mostly doing it in my head as I went along.

It's rough because I know that soon I will be flattening the power progression soon, while also cutting a good bit of part and functionality bloat, and I didn't want to waste effort balancing against numbers that are going to be very different soon.

So with Fractal's 11 version, (in 64bit) everything works, and the power is switched on on the reactors, -but-the science labs fall through whatever they touch;

and on Waves' update, the sci labs dont fall, but the reactors dont work.

I was even dumb enough to try mixing the two versions, to see if adding some folders with others might result in a bingo, but as you'd expect, nothing worked, hehe.

Damned, .24 is a real headache for the modders out there, it seems. Who would've thought 64bit would bring such chaos

Edited by Stevie_D

Will there be any problems upgrading from the 0.24.2 experimental build to the official version later on?

Considering adding KSPI to my next series, but I'm still on the fence as I will begin recording very soon.

WaveFunctionP, I can confirm that the change you made to the packaging has fixed the capitalization issue I saw. Still not sure what link in the chain caused the problem, but I'm quite happy it's fixed. Now I just need to track down these openresourcesystem errors in my log and I should be good to go.

Thanks again!