Incoming! Build emergency shelters for your planetary bases!

In light of my recent quest to construct a full service Duna base, i took some time trying to design a safety shelter in case of base failure, to protect my kerbals until rescue arrived at the next transfer window. Upon restarting the design 3 times, i thought the community could come up with some excellent ideas for these bunkers to give everyone some inspiration. Thus, the challenge!

GOAL: Build a shelter, with stock parts, capable of housing your kerbals until rescue arrives. The challenge will be conducted on Eve and Duna, with leaderboards for each.

JUDGING METHOD: Points are tallied (see below) after qualifying tasks are complete, based on Kerbals on base and achievements.

QUALIFYING TASKS:Your shelter must be part of a simulated base, modeling the one you would intend to use on Duna/Eve. In order to demonstrate your system, you must organize a failure at your base- something that critically damages the base and necessitates rescue. I know this might be a tall order, so i'll leave it up to you to generate this (There may be a style bonus, however :D). I suggest dropping a lander or two on your regular facilities. Be as complicated or simple as you'd like, the failure can be as simple as turning off the power. After the failure (which can happen at the UT of your choosing, such as before a transfer window for convenience's sake), you must send a rescue ship (won't be judged, but must be able to return crew home) and return your crew home, safe and sound. NOTE: Only the base need be stock, your rescue can use anything but Mechjeb or Hyperediting.

BASE DESIGN RULES: The shelter must be totally self contained in case of a total base failure, so here are the rules for the base.

Kerbal Supplies: Each Kerbal requires nutrient stores (water and air are assumed recycled, see next rule), which are simulated by either ASAS modules or Structural Fueslages. ASAS "cans" can support 1 Kerbal apiece, the latter 4 Kerbals. You can "use" an ASAS you simply added for contol in this.

Recycling: The other basic needs for kerbals will be simulated as power consumption: The base must have 200 power per Kerbal for this. Also, as part of this, you must have power generation to sustain a 1/sec loss per Kerbal. Redudancy is awarded bonus in the scores.

Shielding: While optional, you can provide shielding from radiation/impact/storms in the design. If deemed adequate (basically, if it would actually protect it from most directions), there is a bonus (see achievements). Also, another bonus goes to proof of impact protection, or shooting a decoupler at it on Kerbin and having it survive.

MAIN SCORE

Each Kerbal is worth 50 points.

Each Kerbal over 8 is worth 65 points.

Aesthetics are important. Do your best to make it look good for 50 points.

ACHIEVEMENTS:

+100 points, Special: Everyone's a Winner: Complete the qualifying tasks, and stand up to the design rules.

Worth 100 points Each

Legendary: Damage Control!: Damage the bunker in the base-breaking disaster, and still have it meet the basic needs of its occupants.

Legendary: Look Ma, No Chutes!: Land your base with thrusters only.

Legendary: Annihilated: Have at least 3 other structures in your base, and damage all of them.

Worth 75 points Each

Veteran: Magnificent Desolation: Place your base to be wrecked in a crater on Duna, or within sight of the oceans on Eve.

Veteran: Spam In a Can: Use only the 1m parts to build your shelter, using the Mk1 pods for Kerbal housing

Veteran: On the Road Again: Make your shelter mobile, moving it at least 250m from the disaster area by ground.

Veteran Gourmet Rations: Indulge your Kerbals, providing x2 the supply and power requirements.

Worth 50 points Each

Basic: Suntanned: Use only solar power to power your shelter, achieving at least x2 redundancy.

Basic: Chevy Chase-Class Lighting: Light up your base for the Holidays as the Griswolds did, covering the area around the shelter completely with light at night.

Basic: Shields Up!: Provide adequate shielding for your shelter.

Basic: Spartan: Have exactly enough power for your kerbals, no more, no less.

These are just for fun.

Special: Wrecking Ball: Stylishly demolish your base, using creative methods.

Special: Tested!: Test your armor on Kerbin, firing a decoupler at your shelter.

LEADERBOARDS:

Duna:

Eve:

NOTE: Any adjustment to the rules or balancing would be helpful. I'm no expert with making challenges.

Working on it right now with the base i'm developing! I'll post a picture of the bunker soon, almost done with it.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to suggest a change to the rules or a new challenge is welcome to do so!

Edited by Dynamo

Wow, I really like this challenge!

When I get back from my vacation I will have to try this out. :)

You could really do well with some more achievements though.

Not saying your current ones are bad... just it wouldn't hurt to have more. :)

Does the bunker have to be physically connected to the core base? Or is it ok if the bunker is a seperate facility within reach of the main base? I think I'll enter the challenge just for the bunker design without providing a qualifying "rescue return vehicle" - the base is going to be an Eve ocean base, i have not been able to construct a return solution for that yet :)

• 2 weeks later...

Took some time waiting for the next transfer window, but here it is: The backup facility for my ocean base "Atlantis". Probably won't get a lot of points, and lacks a way to bring the crew back to Kerbin (Eve ascent is still something i have yet to figure out), but I thought i'd share it anyway.

Emergency Shelter "Igloo Bunker"

A5I3198.jpg

- provides sustained shelter for 6 kerbals (max capacity 12 kerbals)

- radiation and impact shielding

- pressurized internal spaces

- central gathering area with seats

- computing power, lighting and communications

- entry system (lower legs, enter kerbals, raise legs)

Video: Impact shielding test with Whack-A-Kerbal, entry mechanism and internals

The shelter is located about 40km away from the actual base. In case of emergency, the crew can leave the base via boat, head over to the shore and reach the shelter with a rover.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.