Climb the VAB with KAS

Although I failed to complete the challenge I'd still like to share my design for the sake of your entertainment.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you:

The Grappling Hook Catapult

"It was worth a shot!"

6ewa5nM.jpg

The middle winch contained a stackthing with a grappling hook on top of it, two connector ports on the side and one on the rear.

The rear port was released with action group 1, and shortly after action group 2 is used to let the projectile go of the two side ports.

The middle winch was completely unrolled, thus the projectile was capable of flying the full rope length. Sadly, this was only 50 meters.

Although this device taps into the power of the kraken, the struts manage to contain the beast on most of the quicksave-loads.

Craft file here.

I love the number of truly original ideas coming forth from this challenge. No two alike! Even the jet rover is a novel idea, regardless of rules status, i feel it gets an honorable mention. I would love to see something like the ballista/catapault work....hmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh well... i've not used KAS, and I thought 'hmm how can I do this challenge... without doing this challenge!' so I made the same thing with a giant ladder... then read no ladders allowed.. Here is my second attempt :D

Also nice grapple machines!

I understand if you don't count this :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So I finally got around to doing this and quickly discovered that my KAS was still modified from when I did the floating base project (epic failure) and was set to 200 meters long (*evil grin*). So . . . I happily exploited that and set a record time.

Standing by. Loecked on target.

0til.png

Firing!

We have lock, begin ascension.

e3xu.png

Ascending.

Houston, we have landed.

czr3.png

I fired at 1:45 and I am counting the extra time it took me to flip the thing back on it's wheels. Total time is 1:04

Some commemorative shots.

u5b4.png

h4rn.png

For eppiox about the giant rover tower. It is a interesting idea to get around the rules. But the main challenge is to build a grappling machine that can climb the VAB. But its a nice try.

For Captain Sierra. Its a really good craft. I like the aiming system with the docking ports. I think the time challenge would be unfair with the others (200m long cable). But the craft design is unique as everyone else`s here. really good staff. You win a place in the best looking crafts challenge! Well done! :)

Yes, modded KAS does make fairness an issue so I respect not putting me at the top of the leaderboards (which I think a time of 1:04 gets me).

It was a fun build to do using a grappling cannon and lots of torque (courtesy of KSPX micro reaction wheels). I enjoyed the challenge and I did learn something. The CAB is 75 meters from base to roof. 200m cable is overkill. It is possible to replicate this with a double KAS cannon though I'm not sure how to go about doing that. If anyone wants to attempt it, I'd love to see a stock KAS replica of my method.

EDIT: in case anyone is interested, here is the list of mods used on this craft:

KAS

KSPX

Lazor Docking Cam

MSI Infernal Robotics

RLA Power generation

Edited by Captain Sierra

Captain Sierra just to make clear. Your craft is rated for how it looks and the features it contains like the aim system and a cleaver micro parts design. Your get the top of the (1.)leaderboard because its compact and advanced craft. It should be at the best looking crafts list. (At least until somebody will make a better one.)

As I sad mods allowed but not cheat mods. This is why your time didn`t get on the (2.)leaderboard for the time challenge. (because 200m cable)

Enjoy your success and for everyone else: I waiting for more advanced and interesting craft designs you can come up with. :)

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.