Your Blender/Maya/3dMax/etc fan art section (Animation,Pics,etc)

Supergamervictor

@astropapi1: That's a good start. Once you know the basics, Blender suddenly becomes a lot cooler. If you raise the sample count you will have less artifacts in your render.

@Nutt007: Damn, thats cool. I think I will start working with my ripped kerbal again. Here's a little tip: If you use mix shader to mix just a little bit of the glossy shader into your glas shader you will get stunning reflections, which look a more realistic.

Example:

S6Rqer5.png

@astropapi1: That's a good start. Once you know the basics, Blender suddenly becomes a lot cooler. If you raise the sample count you will have less artifacts in your render.

Thanks! I've been doing some random stuff, but I encountered a problem. I made this kind of cylinder-to-oval shape based on a section of an observatory my dad is designing, and everything looked fine, until I rendered it (with only 150 samples because it wasn't important), this is what it came up with:

rBfpDCA.png

An onion-shaped thingy. Do you know how to avoid this?

Astropapi: It's hard to determine what's wrong without looking at the model unrendered.

Lordherrmann: Thanks! Would you mind showing the setup of the facial rig in your model? Yeah I know about the glossy shader. I just don't normally use it because of fireflies.

Nutt007: I don't mind, but it's really nothing special. I remember watching a tutorial about being able to move vertex groups around from a set starting point to a set endpoint using a slider to control the movement via keyframes, but I have forgotten how to do it. ATM, I'm using a really simple armature trick to move the model's equivalent of a mandible.

Here:

q0ekuc2.png

Also:

GR7kQzw.jpg

(using the pimp my kerbal texture pack)

and

SRhLg52.jpg

Mission accomplished

Hey Guys, I am currently working on finishing my kerbal model that I shared a few pages ago.

I want to give them hair (as jebediah has in the picture directly above this post), but I honestly have no idea how. I don't want my model to have 3-D hair the way rewdew's models do (no offense meant :)), as I would like my model to look as similar to the in-game model as possible--In game, the hair is a part of the kerbal's head. Does anybody know how I might go about doing this, or does anyone have a tutorial they could recommend?

Thanks guys. There are some pretty sweet pictures happening here!

Universe

Universe: All I know is, that the hair is part of the texture. Are you just using different materials to colour your kerbal's clothes or is that a texture? If it is a texture you're already better at textureing than I am, so I probably won't be able to help you any further, but there should be tons of tutorials out there, covering the basic and the more advanced parts of texturing. (I really should watch them too ;D)

Universe: All I know is, that the hair is part of the texture. Are you just using different materials to colour your kerbal's clothes or is that a texture? If it is a texture you're already better at textureing than I am, so I probably won't be able to help you any further, but there should be tons of tutorials out there, covering the basic and the more advanced parts of texturing. (I really should watch them too ;D)

For my part, I'd love to be able to get my hands on the hair geometry that is available in the Kerbalizer. I really would like to be able to expand on my own kerbal model to include the hair styles that I'm using in my sig banner, for use in renders for the story I've been working on.

The portions of the story that can be illustrated with various ships are easy enough to accommodate and all, but there are big swaths of it that need to be able to focus on the individuals, not just the various crafts.

Anybody have any idea how I could get a mesh from the Unity Web Player to work with?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I started this project a couple of weeks ago. Due to my busy schedule(12-16 hour work days and getting my Master's degree), I cannot work on this more than a few hours a week. I apologize for the lack of textures, but I was not trained to texture. My field of expertise is animation, and I mostly only deal with high-poly models. I would love to eventually convert these to game models, however I am unsure how the low-poly process works, so I haven't bothered with that.

What you see above is the beginnings of the ISS. First in the album is the JLM, or Japanese Logistics Module, which is currently setting on top of the Japanese Experiment Module. It is mostly done, apart from a missing piece between the two trunnions that held it in place during transport aboard the Space Shuttle. The Hatch/CBM (or Common Berthing Mechanism) is still a work in progress, and still lacks many details that I have so far not had the time to model. The second module that I have done is the Leonardo PMM, or Permanent Multipurpose Module. This module is 100% complete, although the hatch and CBM are still a WIP, as said before. Third is the Exposed Facility, which is also attached to the Japanese Experiment Module. It is largely complete, apart from a few handrails here and there. The very last image is the beginnings of the Z1 Truss. This is the top structure of the truss where the P6 Truss and Solar Array sat before being moved. The circular holes were part of the docking mechanism, along with a hook in the square negative space in the center of the structure(which hasn't been modeled yet).

Overall I'm happy with the progress I've made so far. I would love to see these converted into game assets, however I simply do not have the training or the experience to do that. At my job, I never have to deal with texturing or unwrapping, and have never had to worry about poly and tri counts before.

You knocked that out of the park better than I ever have. Well done!

...and I just realized I forgot to quote the source. I'm referring to the terrific meshes of the famous Kerbal Trio.

Edited by Avindair
Clarification.

Vega 1d (Alpha Lyrae D), our friend from space

DFue2Wg.png

(Hypothetical/mythical. I like Vega. It's cool. :P)

(Props to Deneb, too.)

(I need to make a Deneb planet.)

(Meh.)

(Parentheses)

(0_o)

how do I get Vega to look like a star? Like a emitty point? Of light? Lots of light? Do I make a mesh for it, and have its emit at ~20? Or do I surround it with point lights? I'm using Blender 3d. Thanks! :)

-Naten :D

http://i.imgur.com/DFue2Wg.png

(Props to Deneb, too.)

(Meh.)

(Parentheses)

(0_o)

how do I get Vega to look like a star? Like a emitty point? Of light? Lots of light? Do I make a mesh for it, and have its emit at ~20? Or do I surround it with point lights? I'm using Blender 3d. Thanks! :)

Well, she already has been a star once, don't think she'll be back after her bit as a one-hit wonder here in the States...

DF782E48999FA9780CFCDFD311274EC9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DFue2Wg.png

(Props to Deneb, too.)

(Meh.)

(Parentheses)

(0_o)

What renderer that you use to make this render? If you want to make that planet to glow light you could apply an emissive texture to it

What renderer that you use to make this render? If you want to make that planet to glow light you could apply an emissive texture to it

You could probably add a starlike texture to the emissive shader, so it looks even more like one. Though stars are really bright, so you normally wouldn't see any of that. It depends on the style you are aiming for.

Also:

Leket47.jpg

CeWZEHM.jpg

PS: How do I embed an album?

Hey,

I used separate materials to color his clothes--honestly, I have no idea as of ye how to texture anything....

Thanks anyway for the reply.

I suppose I would be willing to settle for "real" hair (the same stuff rewdew uses), with it only being very short and close to the kerbal's head.

I'll see what I can do!

PS: How do I embed an album?

To embed an album simply place the album's alpha numeric designation fro the full URL of the album leaving off the "#" and all characters that follow it between imgur tags like so:

If the full URL on Imgur is: "http://imgur.com/a/fK8Zq#0"

The code to embed the album is:

[noparse]

[/noparse]

This will give you this:

I hope that helps.

Edited by TheShadow1138

Blender Render, just... Blender Render... :P

Did I accidentally assign my planet's diffuse material to the light or something? Idk, lol :P

Alright, Here is a preliminary "hair test" on my kerbal model. It is not in any way final...yet.

GgPFPnA.jpg

I think I am heading in the right direction for what I had originally wanted, more or less. I used weight paint to distribute the hair. It is rather uneven; I am trying to smooth it out, but without much luck.

I'll keep working at it! Blender is fun!

Universe

Some final touch-ups to my dragon model...

20ft5r8.png

Got IK Target rig done, works great. The only thing I can't figure out is the shape key drivers... Anyone got some tips on that?

A quick rendering:

znkknm.png

Little fun fact: File size: 12.5 MiB, Vertices: 27,382

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.