Perseids

Khrissetti

Anybody else watch the spectacular meteor shower last night? I went to the top of a hill a few miles from home and watched them flash above the city, a couple of spectacular fireballs as well as about a dozen normal-sized streaks. Was anybody lucky enough to live somewhere apart from a major conurbation and thus with access to some properly dark skies?

Yeah, I saw a few little fireballs. Plus a dozen unconfirmed, the ones that you cannot tell apart from optical illusions due to their small size. I must curse my eyesight, it´s too sharp. I am able to see things that far away that their nearly invisible size makes me doubt their existence.

Ps. I came to think of a funny chain of coincidences.

• Firstly, yesterday was the 12th of August. The same day that the Martians launched their forces towards Earth in the classic´War of the Worlds´ (H. G. Wells/Jeff Wayne).
  • Secondly, the launched Martian cylindres were mistaken for falling stars in the book, as they blazed trough Earths athmosphere.
  • Thirdly, the capsules were described to land ´with a flash like summer lightning´. And belive it or not, we had a thunderstorm that night.

Quite a odd combo -despite the fact that the Martians did not arrive on the 12th, but the 22nd. Ten days after launch.

I should prepare for trouble. ;)

It rained where I am both Sunday and Monday nights, but Saturday before it really got started me and my girlfriend drove out in the middle of nowhere and layed out on the car hood. Besides getting scared by toads, we got to see about 10 little white streaks like people typically think of of shooting stars and 3 nice flaming orange fireballs in about 2 hours. Great fun. And noisy toads.

I don't know if there is any point in going out tonight it would have to be heavy than Saturday to be worth our time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.