Stable orbits for all planets and moons

Greetings,

I was curious if there was a list somewhere or if someone could tell me what the stable orbit distances are for all the planets and moons so the planetary bodies' gravity doesn't suck the ship back down into the atmosphere (ie: Kerbin 100km)

Thanks

If you are in orbit, then gravity will not "suck the ship back down"

So as long as you are out of the atmosphere you are fine.

Rounding up to nearest KM

Kerbin 70Km

Duna 42KM

Eve 97KM

Jool 139KM

Laythe 56KM

Keep your periapsis higher than that and you will be fine

Edited by Rhomphaia

Any orbit that does not dip into the atmosphere or surface is considered stable. It does not have to be circular. For Kerbin this means any orbit with a Pe above ~70 km.

All info on the height of a bodies atmosphere can be found on the wiki.

Edit: Darn, got ninja'd once again. Took too long checking the wiki.

For planets and moons with no atmosphere, any orbit with a paragee above the highest land mass on that body will be stable.

Actually, a chart with the highest landmass for bodies in a vacuum would be handy. Learned 5000m wasn't high enough above Mun the hard way.

Actually, a chart with the highest landmass for bodies in a vacuum would be handy. Learned 5000m wasn't high enough above Mun the hard way.

Interestingly enough, you can get as low as 1,500 meters on the Kerbal Sun before your ship is melted by the heat. This shot is higher to show a change made for 0.2101

q6DqCF4.jpg

Eh... I don't think so. Look at that "K".

You're actually at 1404000 meters over the sun's surface. :)

I know. I didn't upload the picture where the probe went poof below 1500 meters, not kilometers.

Here is the proof or Poof!

mlb1m7J.jpg

Exactly as thereaverofdarkness said... it's not altitude that makes you orbit the body... it's actually speed (velocity) with which you counter gravity of that body... so by going fast enough, the body's gravity is not strong enough to pull you to the ground... just not to let you fly away... when you go too slow, the gravity is gonna pull you back to the ground and if you go too fast, you will eventually fly away from that body...

It's absolutely not about the altitude... for example, you could achieve Münar orbit (if you wouldn't crash to any mountain) at 10 m altitude... you'd just have to travel fast enough (500-600 m/s I guess)... watch some youtube tutorials ;) they'll help you a lot... you obviously need to learn some orbital mechanics...

If you are in orbit, then gravity will not "suck the ship back down"

So as long as you are out of the atmosphere you are fine.

Rounding up to nearest KM

Kerbin 70Km

Duna 42KM

Eve 86KM

Jool 139KM

Laythe 56KM

Keep your periapsis higher than that and you will be fine

The wiki has Eve atmosphere at 96km - has it changed in 0.21?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.