4 Ships, Only 1 Survives

sibrit

In preparation for the eventual career mode, I've been working on getting reusable main engine setups and I've come up with one that links 5 Mainsails with orange fuel tanks, where the outer 4 separate and land horizontally using drogues and radial main chutes.

The Brake action group is setup to lower the landing gear, deploy all chutes, and decouple all 4 from the central engine, which has an additional half-height fuel tank so keeps burning a while longer.

Trouble is, even though all 4 have a probe module, only the one that I have focus on actually lands safely. I can switch between them as they continue upward towards apoapsis but once I change focus to one in atmosphere, I get the message about not being able to switch and all I can do is watch as the other 3 don't deploy chutes and smash into Kerban.

Is this "working as intended" or just something that has not been implemented yet?

Make sure the parachutes are deployed in the same stage as the decouplers, so that the chutes are deployed/armed as it decouples.

That said, the parts will unload when the current object of focus is more than 2.2 km away from it, and far-away parts that enter the atmosphere are automatically deleted.

Getting things to happen at the same time was easy - once I understood what action groups are all about... :)

Oh. Automatically deleted. OK. Part of the current game mechanics. I suppose they will change that before they introduce career mode. I can live with it since it doesn't cost me anything (apart from time, and heaps of it - used to be longer until I found out what the duplicate and snap buttons did) to put together launchers.

I wonder when they will implement water landings? In any case, I'll try and put together a 5 engine lifter that I can recover as a single unit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.