How to build taller rockets?

Guest Brody_Peffley

Guest Brody_Peffley

I don't like how theres a limit. I can't even get a rocket to eeloo with the limit. My rockets always hit the top, Is there a way to be able to build larger rockets?

There are mods that allow you to build above the height of the VAB, however I don't understand how the height limit is restricting you from getting to Eeloo, have you ever heard of asparagus/onion staging? You don't need to build taller to go further. On that same note if your having so much trouble with it then why don't you launch multiple segments and dock them together in space?

(top) stage 2/3 can also be made wider,

try attaching 4 tanks to centre one so it equals = volume of large orange tank.

2> type in asparagus & Kerbal in youtube.com

3> send two large tanks to 150 km and practice docking > put solar cells/thrusters/docking/monopropellant on them

3b> make Mun trips and practice sending fuel barge to command pod

4> Assemble BIG ships in orbit.

Edited by Lohan2008

The bottom of the VAB has no limit, so flipping the rocket upside down or building from the bottom up will let you make rockets taller than the VAB.

Just remember to flip it back when you're finished, so that the holes on the bottom are pointing at the ground or you will not go to space today.

This one makes it to Eeloo. It used Nova Punch mods. I have others that can get there using stock parts. The key is in the design and getting the right launch window for intercept.

WSWmXZQ.jpg

Yes, it got to Eeloo;

yS9GKN9.jpg

Stock using a LV-N with drop tanks and asparagus staging;

NTmR3q5.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

You could try using multi-part ships, if you are comfortable with docking.

I usually use one "interplanetary tug" in one lift to LKO, then another launch to LKO for the actual probe or lander or whatever. Dock the two. Then do the interplanetary burn with the tug, undock, do the mission.

The 148 m VAB height limit has never been a problem for me. All above is good advice.

@ Starwaster: I see you are a Project Rho (/ Atomic Rockets) fan too!

Edit: So its not really a VAB height limit of 148 m; its an elevation limit. The launch pad is at about 70 m elevation. I posted below in a reply also.

Edited by Dispatcher
Clarification.

I don't like how theres a limit. I can't even get a rocket to eeloo with the limit. My rockets always hit the top, Is there a way to be able to build larger rockets?

Could we see a screenshot of your rockets?

Also, the VAB height limit was increased by a lot for .21. Are you playing the most recent version of the game?

@ Captain Sierra and all: Edit: this first part is more for those new to KSP. Enter the VAB. Add a module. Add at least one of the launch support structures. With the module selected, look straight up. Raise the module until it can't go any higher. Deselect the module. Launch. Look at your altitude. Un-edit. Of course you need to subtract about 70 meters to account for the launch pad, so it would be true that the building is about 78 meters tall. So I misspoke. I was referring to the max module height and I didn't take the pad elevation into account.

Edited by Dispatcher
Clarification.

Yeah I've never even built anything remotely as big as the VAB due to part limit. Been to Eeloo and back fine using orbital docking. I don't think it's realistic to launch a rocket directly to Eeloo anyway...

Wait a second...

I don't think it's realistic to launch a rocket directly to Eeloo anyway...

What about New Horizons?

New Horizons was launched on 19 January 2006, directly into an Earth-and-solar-escape trajectory with an Earth-relative velocity of about 16.26 km/s (58,536 km/h; 36,373 mph) after its last engine was shut down.

"launched ... directly into an Earth-and-solar-escape trajectory ... after its last engine was shut down."

Not realistic you say? I think not! :)

EDIT: Then again New Horizons used a bunch of gravity assists.

Edited by CoriW

Going to Eeloo is kind of like going to Pluto, except you could just have a gravity assist from Jool to Eeloo, while New Horizons has to take several gravity assists. Still (for New Horizons), launching directly into escape orbit is an achievement. (You thought going to Eeloo is hard, but going to Pluto would be a combination of difficulty and time.)

Edited by Designer225
grammar

The amount of fuel needed is dependent on the intercept window for Eeloo. The picture below is an example where that window presented itself to two of my five Jool probes launched a couple of Kerbal days apart. Eeloo is hard because of its small SOI and its inclined orbit. Because that orbit intercepts Jool, the intercept presents itself to use the same amount of fuel to intercept Eeloo as it does Jool.

YDLsupT.jpg

yS9GKN9.jpg

The same mission can be done with stock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.