Khaos Corp: R&D (name the tanker!)(HollowDecouplerRelease)

KhaosCorp

7yNFdcM.png

Figured it was about time to start a little thread...start sharing the little tidbits of rubbish I been working on.

KC-HollowStageDecouplers

P7L2am7.jpg

DOWNLOAD: http://www./download/028dd8v6i2pu7zi/HollowStageDecouplers.zip

LEGAL STUFF: KC Hollow Decouplers are released as CC:Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported

can be viewed at:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/deed.en_US

This a set of stage decouplers (as in only decouple on a single node) I made for the way I like to build launch vehicles. They are totally hollow (even from colliders)....this allows for easy running of fuel lines and struts between stages. It also allows the flat probecore ( the OCTO2) to be attached to lower stages.

Here is a tease of deep space fuel tanker Im working on...will probably be released soon....

I need a good name for this thing...very open to suggestions.

7ONgfJn.jpg

PFpIvY6.png

I also have a multi-resource all in one scanning satellite system..but no good pics yet...keep on the lookout for some pics....also if you know how to make deployable suntracking solar panels PM me please!!

xSu3rrk.png

These are NOT the final textures, just slaped these on to get it ingame for testing...once its working properly Ill make it look purdy =)

Please keep in mind anything I post here is a side project at best...just figured Id share what I find useful or stuff Im fond of.

Edited by KhaosCorp

KC-Hollow Stage Decouplers: Version 0.1.1A

Current Version Download:

http://www./download/622xm2x7dws80sw/KC-HollowDecouplers.zip

Changelog:

V 0.1.0A: Initial test release

V 0.1.1A: Fixed sizing on some of the bigger rings (wasnt paying attention so well when I did the resizing..oops)

Edited by KhaosCorp

The tanker is actually a model I got from Blendswap (details will be in release), when I saw it I had to have it. Its about done, though I have yet to figure how to get it to space....short of making massive tank and sending 2 up at a time piggyback style. The 'empty' Launchpad weight of the ship alone is just over 50tons. Once I figure out a launch system Ill probably post it, though I will eventually try to add an IVA and maybe some emissive effects to the blue bits.

If anyone has ideas for launch system Id be happy to listen.

Also looking for some feedback on the decouplers...mainly if there are any issues. I honestly only did about 40 or so test flights with em....

Edited by KhaosCorp

The ship is basically done (minus an IVA and some better textures/fx..but probably be awhile for that), I am just working on getting it to space in a reliably non-explody manner.....here is what I am trying first:

1AojE7L.png

this will be piggy back 3 stage launcher that takes 2 tankers into very LKO.

deTPNe8.png

Im thinking its actually gonna need to be a bit bigger to hold enough fuel to get 2 ships into orbit. Any thoughts, please share =)

OK...double piggy back is officially a bad idea!! Stay tuned for my next (probably equally as bad) launch craft!! Same Khaos Time! Same Khaos Channel!

Also still trying to come up with a good name for this beast...

Edited by KhaosCorp

Ok, so the piggy back launcher idea...not gonna work. Thing has to be to massive to launch 2 of em at a time...it was very VERY unstable.

So, was chatting with Hoy last night about alternative ideas and came up with the new launcher!!

This is one of those times my stooopid brain was telling me the most complex solution must be the right one...but alas, the brain was wrong!

'Less is More' was the way to go here:

SNAGcDm.jpg

A custom 5meter tank that cradles the ship and aligns CoM for traditional rocket launches, with built in decoupler. I have olny just begun testing but so far, so good.

I have noticed one small issue, the ship attached to the launch tank are unable to use physics enabled time warp (normal rail warping seems to work just fine though).

Not sure what is causing this or how to stop it..... I will run some more test flights, then tidy up the configs and maybe try to tidy the textures a bit, and then I will get a test version posted (maybe today...idk).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.