[AAR] Project: Kerbol (Grand Tour)

Henry01

Project: Kerbol

I've decided to make my own AAR, inspired by RougeMason and czokletmuss's stories. Positive feedback and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated. The ship I'll be using is called the Helios 1, and it is carrying 2 modified "Dragon" landers and a single Kethane drilling lander.

Crew Manifest

Cpt. Jebediah

Lt. Bill

Dr. Bob (Engineer)

Dr. Mitbree (Geologist)

Dr. Dudvan (Mental and Physical Health)

Enjoy!

Edited by Henry01

Prolouge

Jebediah: Bill, check all systems before we begin.

Bill: Roger. Engines online and running. Full Fuel. All landers docked. Crew all present and accounted for. Greenhouse shutters open and producing oxygen as well as growing us some fresh produce. Centrifuge nominal. External console and storage units inflated. Primary solar panels extended. Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators nominal. Docking ports and attachment systems working properly. Reaction wheels online for maneuvering. Good to go sir.

Jebediah: Good, good. I'll get Mission Control on the line and tell em' we're ready to go!

F7YaRpP.png

Mission Control: You're already on the line with us, Captain.

Jebediah: Oh. Anyw-

MC: Yep. Start the engines.

Jebediah: That was rud-

MC: Don't care.

Jebediah: Okay guys, buckle your seatbelts, we'r- AHHHHHH!

EtJN0VV.png

Jebediah: Bill! TELL ME BEFORE YOU FIRE THE ENGINE!

*Bill holds back a laugh*

Bill: Yes sir.

Jebediah: Are you laughing? This isn't funny!

Mitbree: It actually is pretty funny, that you of all people weren't prepared for the burn.

*Jebediah rolls his eyes and awaits the burn ending*

A few hours later...

Bill: Coming in at about 250km periapsis over the Mun.

Jebediah: Tell me before you start the circularization burn!

Bill: Alright. Circularization burn in about an hour and a half. Then Mission Control lets us go in the centrifuge.

Dudvan: Phew! I almost finished this book, all my other entertainment is in the centrifuge database.

Bob: Speaking of which, I have to turn MechJeb on in the centrifuge. I can't manage this entire ship without an AI's help.

Dudvan: He also can help me with surgery if need be.

Mitbree: Y-you say that like it's a big possibility!

Dudvan: Landing at all these new places, it is.

Mitbree: Real r-reassuring!

Bob: Mitbree, don't be scared. Its a low possibility. Stop stuttering. Also, Dudvan, isn't you job to HELP with crew mental conditions!

Bill: Chill out. The burn is about to start.

Jebediah: Thank you for telling me!

*Jebediah buckles in extra tight*

YEqYpO9.png

Chapter 1 hopefully soon!

Edited by Henry01

Chapter 1: Deja Vu

Bob: Aaaand... hello Mechjeb!

Mechjeb: Hello Doctor.

Dudvan: Woo!

*Mitbree comes over*

Mechjeb: Doctor Mitbree, your suit is prepared in Dragon 1.

Bob: What?

Mitbree: I'm going down to the Mun with Jeb.

Bob: I thought Bill was going to Minmus?

Mitbree: Captain is still mad at Bill.

Dudvan: You can get hurt now, I have an assistant!

*Mitbree shoots him a glare and walks to the exit of the centrifuge*

Dudvan: What did I say?

15 minutes later...

BLfzT6D.png

Jebediah: Undocked. Mechjeb, give us a random landing spot. Mission Control hasn't assigned any special places to land on the Mun.

Mechjeb: Yes captain. Landing spot designated.

Mitbree: Oh! That's right on a Kethane deposit! I've always wondered how that affected rocks.

Jebediah: Then you can thank Bill for giving you the chance. Anyway, Mechjeb, begin landing procedures.

Mechjeb: Affirmative.

*Deorbit burn begins.*

QVk2bSx.png

Jebediah: Aaaand cut!

Mitbree: Just a few minutes until we land!

A few minutes later...

Jebediah: Touchdown in 3 seconds!

Mechjeb: 3. 2. 1. Touchdown.

Jebediah: Alright, Mitbree, you can go out first.

0xM2ccf.png

Mitbree: Yippee!

*Mitbree exits the craft*

Mitbree: Rather... dark. Oh! Look at that rock over there!

*Jebediah steps out*

Jebediah: You forg-

Mechjeb: Ceremonial words recorded.

Jebediah: Damnit!

Mitbree: Sorry. But on the bright side, this rock breaks real easily. Tons of samples.

*Mitbree is putting handfuls of Kethane-enriched Mun rocks into a bag.*

Jebediah: I've never been here before, but it feels oddly familiar.

Mechjeb: Deja vu, captain?

Jebediah: Yea, I guess so.

Z0U1ZSy.png

After collecting samples on the Mun for an hour...

*Mitbree puts the last samples into the container on the Dragon*

Will: Thats the last of em'!

Mechjeb: Prime timing for launch to rendezvous with Helios 1.

Jebediah: Alright. Begin takeoff!

*Dragon 1 blasts off the Munar surface*

Mechjeb: 1 hour until rendezvous with Helios 1 if everything goes to plan.

Jebediah: You sound more... casual... than most other AIs.

Mechjeb: I was designed to comfort the crew to seem "living".

Mitbree: Hm... I'll just catch up on the latest 2 episodes of Breaking Kerbad on the way up.

1 hour later.

Jebediah: Coming in to dock, Ob.

Mechjeb: Shall I dock?

Jebediah: No. Kerbals will always be the better docking pilots, no matter the AI.

Bill: Just dock already, we're running a bit behind schedule on our planned first broadcast.

Jebediah: Alright. Retracting solar panels, we're in line with the port. Aaaand...

*Dragon 1 docks*

Jebediah: Mission accomplished.

6YlT7A1.png

Edited by Henry01

Ugh, Chapter 2 isn't coming along too nicely. The Kracken hates this ship.

Translation: OH MY ****ING GOD THIS GODDAMN BUG IS SO ANNOYING THIS IS THE 15TH TIME THE ENGINE HAS EXPLODED WHEN IT WASN'T EVEN FIRING OR ANYTHING JUST OUT OF GODDAMN NOWHERE I QUIT ILL DO THIS DAMN CHAPTER LATER

Edited by Henry01

Chapter 1.5: Broadcast

KASA PR Announcer: Hello I'm Harry Kyles, coming to you live from the Kerbal Mission Control center, where a broadcast from our latest mission, Project: Kerbol, is about to begin!

Jebediah: Beginning broadcast.

Harry: Hello Captain Jebediah!

Jebediah: Hey! I'm currently in the centrifuge on the Helios 1, which for those who don't know, generates artificial gravity. This not only lets us sleep and move a little more comfortably, but also keeps our bones from decaying as fast.

Harry: We're gonna be taking questions for the crew on Kwitter through the whole broadcast, but during that time, Jebediah will take us through the ship!

Yep! I'm standing in the Rec Room right now, which lets us work out and stay in shape throughout the mission. Next we'll head to the med-bay and talk to Doctor Dudvan.

Harry: We got a good question first. "Do you have any AI's on the ship?" from Sara.

Newbles: Well Sara, I'll let him speak for himself.

Mechjeb: Yep!

Harry: Well that is pretty cool. Now lets see that med-bay!

*Jebediah opens the door to Dudvan listening to music and reading a book*

Jebediah: Dudvan!

Dudvan: Could be the changing off the seasons, but I... oh, um I mean, drop the bass.. or something...

*Dudvan pulls the earbuds from his ear and closes his book.*

Dudvan: Oh, the broadcast. Here is our fully stocked medical center aboard the ship! We're capable of surgery, diagnosing and giving antibiotics to sick crew, and regular checkups.

Harry: Awesome! Another great question coming in. "Have you needed to use this room yet?"

Dudvan: Unfor-

Jebediah: Fortunatley, no, except for the pre-departure checkup in low Kerbin orbit! Anyway, unless there is any more questions, lets go see what Mitbree is doing in the Geology lab.

*Jebediah walks into the geology lab, Mitbree is doing science on the rocks.*

Mitbree: Why hello there!

Jebediah: Hey Will, find out anything new about the Mun Rocks we collected?

Mitbree: Yea! These rocks are Kethane enriched, and this, I've discovered, makes them a lot softer and easier to break. They also glow in the dark!

Jebediah: Lets see that! Mechjeb, turn out the lights in here.

Mechjeb: Sure.

*Lights go off and the rocks all over Mitbree's desk glow a bright green*

Harry: Woah!

Jebediah: Alright, if there is no questions, we're moving on to our Cheif Engineer and my First Mate in the command pod.

*Jebediah walks out of the centrifuge and floats into the command pod*

Bob: Hey!

Bill: Sup.

Bob: Alright, we're on our way to Minmus soon, and I just made sure the Kethane drilling lander is a-ok for drilling.

Bill: I've just been running out pre-flight checklist.

Jebediah: Alright, I guess that's the whole broadcast, unless there is any more questions.

Harry: Jeb, there has been THOUSANDS of questions, I just gotta find a good one. Oh! "How much food and air do you have aboard?"

Jeb: Enough of every food group to sustain us, and lots of air, as well as a greenhouse to provide a surplus of vegetables and fruits, as well as recycle some air.

Harry: Fascinating! Well, thats all the time we have for today! Good luck captain!

*Broadcast ends*

Edited by Henry01

Ugh, Chapter 2 isn't coming along too nicely. The Kracken hates this ship.

Translation: OH MY ****ING GOD THIS GODDAMN BUG IS SO ANNOYING THIS IS THE 15TH TIME THE ENGINE HAS EXPLODED WHEN IT WASN'T EVEN FIRING OR ANYTHING JUST OUT OF GODDAMN NOWHERE I QUIT ILL DO THIS DAMN CHAPTER LATER

Hey, I didn't get to where I am without encountering the Kraken (both the bug and the actual thing, in my case...) a few times. I lost a few versions of the Lonestar plus quite a few other ships and probes because the game doesn't like having more than one ship in interplanetary space on my copy. Yeah, I managed to redo everything eventually, and yes, it is very annoying, but persevere and you'll get there.

What I've read here so far is good stuff, and I'm glad to have been an inspiration. Keep it up :)

Alright, might transfer the ship over to a new save. I didn't really think using the save with my half-kilometer space station and gigantic motherships already in place. Oops. This also means I can use the Big 3 and some other random ones. Time to go edit the names.

Also, now, it WORKS. ITS WORKING AGAIN! This brightened up my week.

Edited by Henry01

;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;;.;

and a thousand kerbals cried out in horror

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.