How Do I edit the Tech Tree?

I'm also looking for this. There's a few people in the plugins area that are working on similar stuff - theres a plugin called TreeLoader already, with at least one different tree and one mod, the Interstellar mod, supporting their items into the basic tree that i know of

• 11 months later...

Necrobump as this is still a pertinent question

Currently, you are unable to modify the tech tree.

Is this still the case?

Did tree edit die the death or has it risen again?

Is there a new contender waiting in the shadows?

Are we doomed to the standard tech tree forever?

TreeLoader and TreeEdit haven't been updated since .22... technically they work, but not very reliably. In addition to that, TreeLoader had this feature where tech trees created with TreeEdit were stored online, and that framework stopped working recently. Caused a huge issue for KSP Interstellar which is absolutely dependant on a custom tech tree. Thankfully, you can also use TreeLoader without the online backend, but it's inconvenient and even more likely to bug out. Basically, the only reason anyone is still using this extremely outdated mod is because a.) there's no alternative and b.) it still works... sometimes.

And then very recently, Alternative Tree Configurator showed up. It does a great many things better and simpler than TreeLoader, but there is one thing it cannot do: adding additional new nodes. It can only rearrange, rename and repurpose what's already present in stock. So it's not suitable for everything (for instance KSPI must still rely on TreeLoader), but it's a start if you only want to change up a few things.

There are unused slots on the tech tree

experimentalRocketry

nanolathing

experimentalAerodynamics

aerospaceTech

experimentalElectrics

experimentalScience

automation

experimentalsMotors

Add a part with one of those techs as a prereq, and it will show up on the tree.

Aside from that, and changing which tech a part needs, I can't helpyou

Ah so we have Alternative Tree Configurator!

That`s much better than nothing. It would let me move stuff about within the tree. If it can let me define how much science each node needs then that`s all I`d need TBH.

(I imagine when each part costs cash to research then I`d want to alter that too)

If trees can be saved and posted on the forum that would be awesome...

I`ll have a look now.

I don't know how to change the cost (those slots are all 1000 science), nor the prereqs... they are pretty much all just 1 step beyond the last tech, no branches or multiple prereqs.

It does give you a bit of flexibility though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.