Re: BFT Conformal Tanks

JakeGrey

Spaceport link

I can't find a forum thread for them or any contact details for their creator and I don't know if they'll see a comment on the page after all this time, so I'm posting here.

I found these tanks really quite useful in conjunction with FAR and I was going to do a quick and dirty part.cfg edit to make them available in career mode, and possibly making that jet fuel only version a few other people have asked for. Do you have any particular objection to me making the result available for download, with appropriate attribution?

I can't find a forum thread for them or any contact details for their creator and I don't know if they'll see a comment on the page after all this time, so I'm posting here.

I have tried looking for one too and couldn't find one either.

I found these tanks really quite useful in conjunction with FAR and I was going to do a quick and dirty part.cfg edit to make them available in career mode, and possibly making that jet fuel only version a few other people have asked for.

Do for career mode you want to add:

TechRequired = techNode
entryCost = 500

where techNode is the name of the node you want to add it to (best way is to look at another part that is in that node so you have the name of the node).

entryCost is not yet usefull but it will be the cost to unlock the part.

for just Jet fuel, it's easy: duplicate the cfg (so you don't loose the original, and also both tank) and change:

name = [s]BFT_Form-tank_Fuel[/s]BFT_Form-tank_JetFuel
title = [s]BFT Conformal Fuel Tank[/s]BFT Conformal Jet Fuel Tank

RESOURCE
{
name = LiquidFuel
amount = 135
maxAmount = 135
}

[s]RESOURCE
{
name = Oxidizer
amount = 165
maxAmount = 165
}[/s]

Obviuosly also add the career mode change.

name need to be something that is not use by any other parts (it's a unique identifier)

title and description are what you see in the VAB/SPH so make sure they are easy for you to identify

and just delete the Oxidizer resource.

Do you have any particular objection to me making the result available for download, with appropriate attribution?

He did not share any info on the licence (which is against the rules) and so it is by default all right reserved, which mean you are not allowed to distribute his work or modified version of his work unless you first have his approval.

• 2 months later...

I tried to contact the author a while back but never got any response. since there is no licence in the mod we are basically stuck , as in we can modify them for our own use but cant redistribute the changes.

We need to come up with a process for handling those old not licensed mods when the authors have "disappeared" for a while.

Edited by Quellcrist
spelling

we have a process; we have the only process we can have, and the only process we will ever have. This topic has been discussed to infinite nausea.

If there is no license, it is all rights reserved. It is not within the rights of any person whether they be us, squad, or Obama, to override this for things that have already been released. BFT falls into this

Having mandatory license elapsation clause would be either incredibly vague or incredibly convoluted but more importantly; mandatory license terms will drive creators away.

By the forum rules all releases must have a license; this is enforced; but it wasn't enforced so well in the past. There is nothing that can be done to fix the fact that BFT doesn't have a license.

we have a process; we have the only process we can have, and the only process we will ever have. This topic has been discussed to infinite nausea.

If there is no license, it is all rights reserved. It is not within the rights of any person whether they be us, squad, or Obama, to override this for things that have already been released. BFT falls into this

Having mandatory license elapsation clause would be either incredibly vague or incredibly convoluted but more importantly; mandatory license terms will drive creators away.

By the forum rules all releases must have a license; this is enforced; but it wasn't enforced so well in the past. There is nothing that can be done to fix the fact that BFT doesn't have a license.

To be honest after having researched the issue (this stuff got me curious :) ), it s no copyright infrigement for a user to apply a patch, it 's also not copyright infrigement for someone to give you a patch, see Galoob v. Nintendo. Thus modidifed version of license-free software can legally be distributed in source code form in whatever way that the original can, by distributing a patch alongside it.

Now this is an interpretation of the copyright laws and seeing that i m not a lawyer, i d like to know what you guys think about it (not trying to go against current policy but trying to find a solution for everyone).

At the minimum it would seems that it would be ok to distribute a patch to BFT (or whatever other addon in similar situation) fixing it for 0.23 and so on.

Edited by Quellcrist
clarification

Anyway , this stuff was really pissing me off so i decided to install blender and unity (never used a 3D soft in my life). Luckily i did do some tech drawing on pen and papers when i was younger so i had a pretty good idea of what i wanted to achieve.

Long story short, i have a model, i managed to import it to unity, and even to export it to ksp via the part tools, now i need to look at texturing and a few other stuffs and we can have a alternative.

And to avoid all that silly licensing issue i ll release it under Attribution-ShareAlike

CC BY-SA

WIP

BN0DYhd.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.