ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission

Tech Support

hello everyone, I am starting this thread to follow the Indian Mars Mission, India doesn't usually get much coverage internationally, but ISRO ( Indian Space Research Organization) does have a lot of impressive achievements. The Mars Orbiter Mission is the India's first Mars mission and is slated to be launched from Sriharikota, India. the launch date is 5th November and Mars orbital insertion by 21st September 2014. They are calling it a 'Technology Demonstrator' and will serve as a test bed for future missions. NASA is cooperating with ISRO and the mission will use the Deep Space Network in addition to ISRO's own network.

Mars Orbiter Mission Spacecraft attached to the 4th stage of PSLV-C25

mars14.jpg

Here's hoping they don't have the same problems America and Russia have had with things just going poof and not making it there. Spacecraft are expensive and it'd be nice to see India join the space exploration club, if only to make people like my stepdad go 'wait what? India? The hell did that come from? We're getting lapped by freaking INDIA?!'

Here's hoping they don't have the same problems America and Russia have had with things just going poof and not making it there. Spacecraft are expensive and it'd be nice to see India join the space exploration club, if only to make people like my stepdad go 'wait what? India? The hell did that come from? We're getting lapped by freaking INDIA?!'

I get what you mean, I blame Mass Media, they never cease to show other nations in bad light. oh, and speaking of money, the entire project costed ISRO around 4.54 billion Rupees (US$69 million);cheaper than a commercial airliner but considering their entire budget of 56 billion Rupees (US$860 million), its a lot.

The probe's launch platform is the PSLV-XL (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle) the XL is the uprated version of the standard PSLV, with stretched Boosters and was used to launch India's moon probe in 2008. it also kinda looks like CORE's ANVIL rocket series :P

the image here is the PSLV-XL used for the moon probe mission

at-VAB.jpg

This is depressing :( So many countries have a space program. We have so many good lifters sending satellites and probes all over the Solar system...But apparently no one is interested in serious (manned) space exploration anymore. XXI century is awesome so far - our civilisation is developing nicely, quality of life is improving, and there seems to be no threats to our existence in foreseeable future. Is it not the time to grab the occasion by the horns, and look outside of our small backyard?

Edited by Scotius

This is depressing :( So many countries have a space program. We have so many good lifters sending satellites and probes all over the Solar system...But apparently no one is interested in serious (manned) space exploration anymore. XXI century is awesome so far - our civilisation is developing nicely, quality of life is improving, and there seems to be no threats to our existence in foreseeable future. Is t not te time to grab the occasion by the horns and look outside of our small backyard?

Sorry to crush your dreams but:

dTEO1.png

I think its because of the expense involved and the fact that most of the work and research can be done without any humans in space; why risk lives and spend unnecessary money is the mindset today; I think someone was joking how fast the moon would be colonized if there was oil there, that's sadly the truth, money makes the world go around, or in this case makes us go around the universe.

*sigh* Yes. But sooner or later we will run out of easily reachable deposits of rare metals, and other elements crucial for civilisation development. And guess where is next source of such stuff? Is it not better to build infrastructure in advance, avoiding mad scramble when we will be forced to do so under threat of civilisation collapse? Guess it's one of downsides of democracy. Very rarely political leaders look farther than end of their period at the office. Hopefully private business will take the lead, because those guys are used to long-time planning, and seizing the opportunities before someone else can grab them.

Well, so far everything has been progressing smoothly, the rehearsal on 31st Oct went flawlessly and the mission is a go. the fueling of the 4th and final stage begins at 1.30 PM and the launch time is 2.38 PM (IST). I live about a 100KM from the space center and might get a view as the rocket goes up. the tracking stations and ships are at alert and at station and the weather here is just awesome (a slight chance of rain though).

apprantly, JPL sent a message to the mars mission page, wishing them well and asking them to 'pass around the peanuts' a tradition at NASA when they are attempting a historic launch. ( can someone find this particular post on FB ?, i have been searching for a link but cant find one)

apprantly, JPL sent a message to the mars mission page, wishing them well and asking them to 'pass around the peanuts' a tradition at NASA when they are attempting a historic launch. ( can someone find this particular post on FB ?, i have been searching for a link but cant find one)

Well add me to the list of well wishers. While the launch will be a day late, it will be one heck of a way to cap off this year's Diwali fireworks! Good luck with the mission and दिवाली की शà¥Âभकामनाà¤Âं to everyone at the ISRO.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.