ISRO's Mars Orbiter Mission

Tech Support

In the process of testing the payloads the MOM probe's mars camera was activated,This image was taken yesterday at around 1350 IST hrs from a height of almost 70,000 km above earth and has a spatial resolution of 3.5 km... We are certain we're going to get some great shots in the orbit of Mars ...

J7y4tEo.jpg

In the process of testing the payloads the MOM probe's mars camera was activated,This image was taken yesterday at around 1350 IST hrs from a height of almost 70,000 km above earth and has a spatial resolution of 3.5 km... We are certain we're going to get some great shots in the orbit of Mars ...

-snip-

Is that an actual colour photo? Because it seems to be lacking colour. Or maybe because most of the regions in the photo are deserts and plains.

The Himalayas really look spectacular. Truly the roof of the world. Now we need an analog for the Himalayas in Kerbin.

Is that an actual colour photo? Because it seems to be lacking colour. Or maybe because most of the regions in the photo are deserts and plains.

The Himalayas really look spectacular. Truly the roof of the world. Now we need an analog for the Himalayas in Kerbin.

I don't know about MOM specifically, but spacecraft usually take color pictures by taking separate pictures through different color filters. The pictures are then sent back individually and they have to be combined during post-processing to produce a color image. This is usually not a trivial process, as they have to be aligned, balanced, etc.

Pictures of Earth taken recently by the Juno spacecraft as it flew by on its way to Jupiter are an example of this.

It's most likely the filters on the camera don't quite allow for a true colour image-they'll have been chosen to match spectral properties of certain things they're trying to observe on mars, and that's not exactly likely to include anything green.

It's most likely the filters on the camera don't quite allow for a true colour image-they'll have been chosen to match spectral properties of certain things they're trying to observe on mars, and that's not exactly likely to include anything green.

I understand that true colour reproduction is a big thing for space craft nowadays, as colours tell a lot about the composition of things. For Curiosity they took a bazillion photo's to get everything exactly right. Now sure how the Indians do their thing, but I am certain they understand the same principles.

I see a picture I would expect. Brownish, greenish, yellowish and blue for the sea. Pretty much what earth looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome ! its a pity I missed it :( (Bluescreen issues) thanks to Meithan and Kryten for the updates !! as for the injection details..

Trans Mars Injection (TMI) operation began at 00:49 hrs (IST) on Sunday Dec 01, 2013.

The liquid engine burn time was 1328.89 sec and the imparted incremental velocity was 647.96 m/sec.

Keep this great work up, India!

It is great to see new countries achieving great things in space. China and India are really inspiring a whole new interest in space and I really hope my beloved Brazil gets back on track with our space program.

Methan, yes :) I first tried a direct link from Fb; didn't work, so I had to copy it to Imgur....

it's funny that they want proper solar heating while I struggle with overheating on my probes :) ( interstellar mod )

Edited by Tech Support

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.