[PLUGIN+PARTS][0.23] SCANsat terrain mapping

damny

I am scanning Kerbin, and the BIO / ANOM symbols were flashing until I took them over 240km. I am using the low Radar and the multi spec sensor.

I wouldnt know where to start editing let alone creating a cfg file, if you add kethane to the scansat multi scanner thing, does than let it scan for kethane with multiple satelites?

Is there a scanning difference between the high and low gain kethane scanners other than maximum altitude?

yes and yes and file, I posted didn't work like, I wanted it just showed the Whole planet as scanned right off the bat, still working on it, Shania_L u should try and open a part.cfg with notepad there you can see what they have things at and u can change them but to be safe it's better to make a cfg file for want you are trying to do then edit a part file.

how to make a cfg = open notepad copy like

@part[sCANsat_Tracker]

{

MODULE

{

name = SCANsat

sensorType = 0

fov = 0

min_alt = 0

max_alt = 0

best_alt = 0

power = 0.05

}

MODULE

{

name = KethaneDetector

DetectingPeriod = 1.5

DetectingHeight = 250000

PowerConsumption = 0.8

Resource

{

Name = Kethane

}

}

now save it don't matter what name notepad will save as *.txt rename the *.txt to *.cfg your done put it the ksp/gamedata dir

EDIT had to add scanner part but cant see how to add a on and off to the kethane part just show all right off the bat ?:huh:

Edited by Mecripp2

The SAR is that the high res RADAR probe?

Yup, the nifty color one.

Do you get wider scan paths from higher up then? what do you mean by "works best" is it not and on/off thing?

You are deliberately putting an inclination in your orbit of 87? ohh wait, Mun, it doesnt rotate does it, I'm still ok using 90 on any rotating planet then?

Yup, the beam gets wider with higher altitude. But ideally, you want a bit of overlap from 1 pass to the next so you can finish the job faster. That's why it's usually better to fly a bit above the "best" altitude shown in the CFG files.

There are 2 main reasons for using a bit less than 90^ inclination. The primary one is so your probe crosses the equator as close to 90^ as possible, which makes a neater pattern if you've got the altitude right. But you don't want too much less than 90^ or you'll leave a gap at the pole that you'll have to change your inclination to get later.

But this is only really a factor for the Multispectral thing, because it works best between 250-300km. The SAR out at 750-800km is such that it only makes a nice 90^ equatorial crossing on big planets like Kerbin, Eve, and Tylo.

And then there are places like Moho, Tylo, Pol, and Bop, that don't rotate fast enough to get a good asynchronous orbit with. For these, there's really no combination of altitude and inclination that's any better or worse than others, other than not wanting to be more than 1/2 the scan width from the pole.

MeCripp, minimum altitudes for all those probes are 5Km? so why is my BIO and Anom scan not working at 75Km?

I've never gotten the red messages like you do, but I have had the sensors not work if I don't have enough power. The power required by these sensors goes up a lot when you warp so whereas maybe 2 RTGs would be fine at 1x time, you need 2 Gigantor solar panels at 10Kx warp :).

Anyone else getting a bunch of errors thrown with this mod? It seems to work OK (I've only started the basic scanning in career mode so far) but I'm seeing a bunch of red FileNotFound exceptions in the debug console specifically for ScanSat, even if there are no ScanSat modules on the craft or in flight anywhere. Maybe it's because I'm also using RasterPropMonitor IVA displays which are supposed to have a GPS map function that uses the scanned maps?

Could you make the big map and other windows not transparent? A pair of strained eyes would be grateful :)

Putting this on my list, but I'm not actually sure, since I'm just using a default style here.

The power required by these sensors goes up a lot when you warp so whereas maybe 2 RTGs would be fine at 1x time, you need 2 Gigantor solar panels at 10Kx warp :).

Hmm, it's actually not supposed to drain power at high time warp factors precisely because of this...

It's not the amount of power they require btw., it's simply that e.g. at 100x time warp, they need 100x the power per calculation step, while your panels also generate 100x. But unfortunately you only get the amount of charge that your vessel can actually store in its batteries, so you lose a lot of power generation because of that.

FileNotFound exceptions in the debug console specifically for ScanSat, even if there are no ScanSat modules on the craft or in flight anywhere. Maybe it's because I'm also using RasterPropMonitor IVA displays which are supposed to have a GPS map function that uses the scanned maps?

I don't know if it's the IVA display, but I also don't know where SCANsat would directly cause FileNotFound exceptions, as it doesn't really access any files directly (only when you export an image).

I think what he is pointing to is nullrefs. Im getting those too sometimes. But for me they are usually caused by the fuzebox plugin causing issues with both scansat and rpm. Removing both rpm and scansat fixes the issue except fuzebox is still throwing nre in the vab tho and on entry to flight scene. Im seeing almost no nre's with both rpm and scansat installed but with fuzebox removed. But since its such a usefull tool im keeping it for now.

I'm running into issues adding the MapTraq cfg to the probe antennae from the AIES parts mod (I figured the as MapTrac part is more or less a hard drive for the map, it would make more sense to have it as a transceiver with a "hard drive"). It is giving me the gui menu options, but not displaying the map at all. Am I missing a MODULE?

I'm running into issues adding the MapTraq cfg to the probe antennae from the AIES parts mod (I figured the as MapTrac part is more or less a hard drive for the map, it would make more sense to have it as a transceiver with a "hard drive"). It is giving me the gui menu options, but not displaying the map at all. Am I missing a MODULE?

I did the same have you tried the big map?

I think what he is pointing to is nullrefs. Im getting those too sometimes. But for me they are usually caused by the fuzebox plugin causing issues with both scansat and rpm. Removing both rpm and scansat fixes the issue except fuzebox is still throwing nre in the vab tho and on entry to flight scene. Im seeing almost no nre's with both rpm and scansat installed but with fuzebox removed. But since its such a usefull tool im keeping it for now.

Nope, it's definitely a FileNotFound exception, and it's spamming my log file with it:

[EXC 08:25:30.363] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SCANsat, Version=1.0.5062.21125, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
[EXC 08:25:30.366] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SCANsat, Version=1.0.5062.21125, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

I've removed RPM and it still happens, so that's not causing it.

Would there be any chance to join efforts with Telemachus and make the scanned map availabe via HTTP so it could be optionally displayed on a tablet?

Thats why they need to see about getting RasterPropMonitor in Telemachus then you would have all the info you are looking for and some.

WOW - Great realistic mod. I tried this out last night to see how it works. I did use the ISA mod several KSP versions ago. Very impressive and professional type of work. I do think it enhances the KSP game play. Kerbal and the Mun have been mapped so far. Thanks :)

According to the data log, I've found my errors also are caused by FuseBox. I may just have to get rid of it, now it's giving me a FileNotFound error for Telemachus...

According to the data log, I've found my errors also are caused by FuseBox. I may just have to get rid of it, now it's giving me a FileNotFound error for Telemachus...

Yes im thinking ill have to get rid of it too. Hopefully the developer will update it soon. I think the issue is that it spams unity with nre's so no other plugin can run scripts or load stuff so that when the other plugins try to access the stuff its supposed to have loaded it cant find it.

Hmm, it's actually not supposed to drain power at high time warp factors precisely because of this...

It's not the amount of power they require btw., it's simply that e.g. at 100x time warp, they need 100x the power per calculation step, while your panels also generate 100x. But unfortunately you only get the amount of charge that your vessel can actually store in its batteries, so you lose a lot of power generation because of that.

First off, I'm using Build 5. I don't know if that's the current one. Should have mentioned that before.,

Anyway, yeah, I understand what's behind the phenomenon but the end result is that you have to add more power to the probe the faster you warp. I was in fact just experimenting with higher warp levels than I'd ever used before with this mod. As you warp faster, the more electrical power you need to keep the mapping working, for whatever reason. But as mentioned, 2x Gigantors is enough for 10,000x warp at least as far out as Dres.

The reason for my experimentation here was to see if I could make the mod work at such high warps, to take advantage of the wonderful background mapping feature while controlling other ships on long interplanetary flights. I was happy to see I could make this work ;)

Nope, it's definitely a FileNotFound exception, and it's spamming my log file with it:

[EXC 08:25:30.363] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SCANsat, Version=1.0.5062.21125, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
[EXC 08:25:30.366] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'SCANsat, Version=1.0.5062.21125, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

I've removed RPM and it still happens, so that's not causing it.

Also with that error look for or update SCANsatRPM MechJeb2RPM

JSI and there are more mods like bobcat's that hide the RasterPropMonitor but most of them are good just update the first 3 make sure to delete them and put updated 1's in.

Also with that error look for or update SCANsatRPM MechJeb2RPM

JSI and there are more mods like bobcat's that hide the RasterPropMonitor but most of them are good just update the first 3 make sure to delete them and put updated 1's in.

Pretty sure it turned out to be FuseBox causing these errors. I was also getting similar errors with Telemachus, but after removing FuseBox the errors went away.

Yup, the nifty color one.

The power required by these sensors goes up a lot when you warp so whereas maybe 2 RTGs would be fine at 1x time, you need 2 Gigantor solar panels at 10Kx warp :).

Power generated/consumed by parts doesn't change in warp, but the power per time unit as shown in the resources panel scales by warp factor (confusingly perhaps). So, if your charge drain is .2 at normal speed, it will be 2 at 10x, 200 at 1,000x and 2,000 at 10kx normal speed. If you don't have 2,000 electricity charge in your craft, it will appear permanently drained (I believe drain is calculated after charge) at 10kx warp and your craft appears to be permanently out of power.

So far I'm liking this mod. I had it installed for a while but only started using it once I got a Remote tech network setup. Will make finding those elusive biomes so much easier! Have yet to unlock the high res scanner yet, but I guess I'll have to send out new scan sats once I get that one. Unless of course there was a way to use a Kerbal to attach (using Kerbal Attachment System) the hires scanner, although I don't know if that would work being as I would imagine the scanner wouldn't really fit on a Kerbals back lol

So far I'm liking this mod. I had it installed for a while but only started using it once I got a Remote tech network setup. Will make finding those elusive biomes so much easier! Have yet to unlock the high res scanner yet, but I guess I'll have to send out new scan sats once I get that one. Unless of course there was a way to use a Kerbal to attach (using Kerbal Attachment System) the hires scanner, although I don't know if that would work being as I would imagine the scanner wouldn't really fit on a Kerbals back lol

you could still do it if thats what you wanted to do just make a cfg file to do as long as you had kas installed or the plugin.

Edited by Mecripp2