[1.1.3] AntennaRange 1.11.4 - Enforce and Encourage Antenna Diversity

toadicus

Welcome! AntennaRange does not require transmission to any specific point on Kerbin: a signal that gets to Kerbin is good enough. I summarized my thoughts on this quite a while ago, and my feelings still stand.

So, that's not a bug, it's a feature! If you can talk to Kerbin from the far side of the Mun, we've got a problem. :)

Thanks a ton. I totally agree with the idea - I was thinking about trying to set up a surface-based system for that very reason. That would have been super boring. Good to know that it's not a bug!

AntennaRange has been updated to version 1.4.1! This minor update primarily addresses some changes to ToadicusTools, but also introduces support for the ApplicationLauncher as a fallback when the Toolbar mod is not installed. Also, there's a small bugfix.

INSTALLATION NOTE: ModuleDB.dll is deprecated and should be manually removed once all of my mods have been updated on your system.

CHANGELOG:

v.1.4.1 [2014-08-16]
* Added support for Squad's ApplicationLauncher. This will be used only as a fallback when the Toolbar mod is not present.
* Improved null detection to resolve some issues with controls locking in certain scenarios.
* Updated ToadicusTools.

This dll has that change, and is compiled with debug logging enabled, so it'll make tons and tons of noise in your game and log. Give it a shot; if it fixes the issue let me know and I'll push the fix into a release. If it doesn't, get me the resulting log; maybe it'll have more info for me. :)

Yeesh, sorry man, never actually got round to testing that dll. I rarely get time to actually play KSP nowadays and in my main save, I hyperedited in a replacement probe (exactly the same parts and mods installed) and it worked fine without changing the dll. I guess the save or the craft was borked in some way.. either way, I really appreciate the time you took to help and offer a solution, I just wish I had time to help you as well :D Thanks for the update as well.

Yeesh, sorry man, never actually got round to testing that dll. I rarely get time to actually play KSP nowadays and in my main save, I hyperedited in a replacement probe (exactly the same parts and mods installed) and it worked fine without changing the dll. I guess the save or the craft was borked in some way.. either way, I really appreciate the time you took to help and offer a solution, I just wish I had time to help you as well :D Thanks for the update as well.

No problem man; I always appreciate your input. :)

This mod is causing an odd bug... more specifically it seems to be the toadicus tools folder included. When installed my EVAs are messed up, the focus remains on the ship when the kerbal gets out so you have to switch focus manually, then when the kerbal gets back in... he disappears! The pod is now empty. Deleting Toadicus Tools makes my game work again, but not the antenna range mod.

This mod is causing an odd bug... more specifically it seems to be the toadicus tools folder included. When installed my EVAs are messed up, the focus remains on the ship when the kerbal gets out so you have to switch focus manually, then when the kerbal gets back in... he disappears! The pod is now empty. Deleting Toadicus Tools makes my game work again, but not the antenna range mod.

That definitely shouldn't be happening. :) Can you get me a log (Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log; Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log)?

How does the line of sight module work? Sorry if this has already been answered, I haven't been able to find details on it personally.

Sorry I missed this! Sometimes pagination is hard. :/

The line of sight module requires either direct line of sight to any point on Kerbin, or connection through a chain of relays, each with direct line of sight to the next, and the last with direct line of sight to Kerbin, in order to transmit science via an antenna. Optionally, another setting lets the line of sight mechanic restrict control of probes when no connection to Kerbin is available, but I don't actually think this is a good mechanic.

The only objects that block line of sight are the on-rails planetary bodies and their natural satellites. Asteroids and other vessels do not block line of sight. By default, there's a 5% "fudge factor" done on the line of sight calcs, to make the creation of relay constellations a bit more forgiving -- essentially, AR pretends that a given body's radius is 5% smaller than it really is.

Antennas are completely directionless, and will dynamically calculate their targets, choosing the closest target. So, if you are on the surface of Mun with an antenna that could reach Kerbin, but have a satellite in Munar orbit that can also reach Kerbin, and that satellite is not blocked by the Mun, you will transmit via that satellite instead of directly to Kerbin, reducing the energy cost of your transmission.

Hope that answered your questions; feel free to ask with more specificity if I've missed anything. Enjoy! :)

So I've got a weird problem with this mod; every time I launch a new mission, an icon appears and persists in the top right. http://imgur.com/ZMCUHn5

I really like the idea of this mod, I rather dislike having a billion damn red and green antenna icons.

Hah! Sorry for that. :P MeCripp is right; if you install blizzy's toolbar mod, this problem will disappear. Regardless, this is a bug that needs fixing. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

this is a wonderful mod and I try to pimp it whenever I can. Like a few other mods, it has truly altered my gaming experience and enriches the modset us builders have. (comsat network is ALWAYS my first build now, and instead of making up my own rules for needing com relays it's allll taken care of) It adds just enough realism without going all insane flight computer time delay headache OW that remotetech does. I love the probe requirement features and optional signal blocking.

But enough gushing. Everything works wonderfully except one weird lil thing. Anytime a mod has a dual use command pod (one that can be crewed but doens't have to be) it counts that pod as unmanned, and makes it useless even if crewed unless it has a comm system. Not a huge deal at all, I see it as necessary for a sophisticated, computer driven advanced flight machine.

Same with KAS constructed command chair powered micro-EVA or rover systems. That, however, may lie deeply within the currently faulty KAS itself, however.

Otherwise, I love this mod and will gladly have it's babies, so keep up the good work.

this is a wonderful mod and I try to pimp it whenever I can. Like a few other mods, it has truly altered my gaming experience and enriches the modset us builders have. (comsat network is ALWAYS my first build now, and instead of making up my own rules for needing com relays it's allll taken care of) It adds just enough realism without going all insane flight computer time delay headache OW that remotetech does. I love the probe requirement features and optional signal blocking.

But enough gushing. Everything works wonderfully except one weird lil thing. Anytime a mod has a dual use command pod (one that can be crewed but doens't have to be) it counts that pod as unmanned, and makes it useless even if crewed unless it has a comm system. Not a huge deal at all, I see it as necessary for a sophisticated, computer driven advanced flight machine.

Same with KAS constructed command chair powered micro-EVA or rover systems. That, however, may lie deeply within the currently faulty KAS itself, however.

Otherwise, I love this mod and will gladly have it's babies, so keep up the good work.

Glad you're enjoying the mod! Feel free to continue telling me how you think I can make it better. :)

It looks like you've found a crack in my logic through which some mod parts may fall, and the parts I test with don't. So, here's an experimental build that might fix it: http://ksp.hawkbats.com/dev/AntennaRange_dev.zip. On the other hand, maybe it will break everything forever!

If you do wind up with any of my grand-brain-children, give them my love. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is faaan-tastic. It has rapidly moved to my 'must have' list. It adds just enough complexity to data networks to strike the perfect balance...kudos.

Alas, I've found a strange bug:

If I am out of radio contact (red icon) and I try to transmit some science (a crew report, say), the following line appears in the log:

Score for transmitter: Infinity - Data Rate: 0.000 - Data Cost: 5.000

...and in the upper left of the screen, where transmission progress messages usually go, nothing appears ... but the science is no longer in my capsule! It seems that the data has been lost, oh the horror. At first, I thought it was cached until I returned to radio range, but no - once I fly into range transmission does not begin, and the data seems to have vanished permanently.

This mod is faaan-tastic. It has rapidly moved to my 'must have' list. It adds just enough complexity to data networks to strike the perfect balance...kudos.

Alas, I've found a strange bug:

If I am out of radio contact (red icon) and I try to transmit some science (a crew report, say), the following line appears in the log:

Score for transmitter: Infinity - Data Rate: 0.000 - Data Cost: 5.000

...and in the upper left of the screen, where transmission progress messages usually go, nothing appears ... but the science is no longer in my capsule! It seems that the data has been lost, oh the horror. At first, I thought it was cached until I returned to radio range, but no - once I fly into range transmission does not begin, and the data seems to have vanished permanently.

Hmm. Did this happen when transmitting (or failing to transmit) from an experiment dialog (as opposed to from the antenna itself)?

Glad you're enjoying the mod otherwise!

• 4 weeks later...

AntennaRange has been updated to version 1.4.2! This update brings 0.25.0 compatibility and miscellaneous fixes.

CHANGELOG:

v.1.4.2 [2014-10-07]
* Updated for KSP 0.25.0.
* Fixed an issue that caused the in-flight AppLauncher button to duplicate when reverting flights.

I just wanted to leave a message that I rediscovered this mod today and I really like the way development has come along. It feels like a good balance between stock (do whatever with the antennae) and RT2 which has too much micromanagement for my taste. I do have a question regarding relays though: can a relay be formed using more than two craft? It's a bit of an edge case of course but it's good to know :)

I just wanted to leave a message that I rediscovered this mod today and I really like the way development has come along. It feels like a good balance between stock (do whatever with the antennae) and RT2 which has too much micromanagement for my taste. I do have a question regarding relays though: can a relay be formed using more than two craft? It's a bit of an edge case of course but it's good to know :)

Glad you're enjoying it! :)

Yes, relays can be made using as many craft as necessary, and will try to follow "shortest path" links (to simulate "lowest power", though technically that's a bit wrong right now). So if you've got a long-range comsat in KSO, a medium-range antenna on your munar orbiter, and a short-range antenna on your munar lander, your lander's signal will technically go lander->ship->comsat->Kerbin, even though the ship's antenna could make it all the way to Kerbin. Unless the comsat is on the other side of the planet right now, in which case you'll go straight to Kerbin.

This seems like a nice alternative to Remote Tech. I love the idea of Remote Tech but managing all the antennae can be annoying at times and overwhelming. You get distracted for one second and you lost control of a probe or as tend to happen when I start again and try to land a probe on the mun I lose signal because mun blocks it and crash the probe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.