Mission to Jool: key words orbital construction multi mission return stock

Mathman

THE ARGUS

For those who say it can't be done, orbital construction with multiple interlocking pieces can be done. Takes patience is all, and the use of tugs to nudge things around.

I've seen many missions to Jool posted, but I did not see any that would do multiple missions and few Kerbed return missions. So I did it myself. For anyone who wants ideas for a multi mission ship, here it is. (when the IT folks fix whatever error I am making to allow me to create a photo album and post links here from there I will post photos. )

Stock, ver .22, career mode (level 5 technology)

ARGUS - 42 meters long, 255 tons - fully fueled and outfitted. (148t main fuel for raw delta V of 6815 m/s)

Room for 9 Kerbals – Normal crew of 4

While it has a max sustainable acceleration of only .11g fully outfitted, The ARGUS is not intended to enter orbit in any moon of Jool and will not go into low Jool orbit. It is a carrier for landers and probes. It is too fragile for aero-breaking or capture but has enough delta v to enter Jool system without aerobreaking. Total of 13 launches to assemble, 3095 tons total launch weight.

Check it out: Fully outfitted it has

6 ea 2800 m/s delta v class science probes (one with auxiliary parachute for Laythe entry)

1 single stage (re-useable) shuttle with 4400 m/s delta v (3 moon landings planned and rescue operations on demand)

1 heavy return lander for atmospheric entry of 5800 m/s delta v (Laythe lander)

1 heavy return lander for non atomospheric entry of 6800 m/s delta v (Tylo lander)

a set of accessories and spares to include a rescue capsule, extra drop tanks for fuel, and a spare parachute for mission flexibility.

• 1 month later...
Sounds pretty cool. Any images?

Sorry for delay but I have been out of the country and away from my main computer. Yes. I will post them shortly. I was hoping that some other people may have done the grand mission (manned mission to explore the entire Jool system) as well. Haven't seen any, but I haven't looked too far either. In any case, images to follow.

• 5 months later...
Sounds pretty cool. Any images?

I hope this works. In the meantime my computer crashed once (software) and my backup file servers twice (dead drives). There is nothing left of the mission other than this one picture. It was awesome though. [note - 4 of the 7 main fuel tanks have been jettisoned by now but a soft entry (no unreasonable aerobraking of a craft with no heat shield and not stressed for high-g deceleration) has been accomplished and the mission of orbiting and than landing probes around all moons and Jool and than conducting manned return missions to the surface of all moons has all the crew excited]

HBGzl_7i1XXoBbqJePbxDlYxs3QUcMIEmEhfXI8mJQ=w424-h259-p-no

I was hoping that some other people may have done the grand mission (manned mission to explore the entire Jool system) as well. Haven't seen any, but I haven't looked too far either. In any case, images to follow.

I'd gladly point you to my Medusa class transport, specifically designed to tackle on a Grand Tour with restocking of consumables... well after the Joolian system is visited completely. But here's a pretty descriptive screenshot if you look closely:

2zNxsBi.png

Depending on tank configuration, you can get up to 9.8km/s fully fueled, but I usually go for 8. Without counting the two Duna-capable SSTOs and the Tylo two-stage lander with another 9.

Rune. The stack sure has legs. And lags. xD

...such burn times...

Nah, just about half an hour (divided among three separate burns at least) to leave kerbin orbit in my case. Totally faster than ions! Pre-0.23.5 ions, that is ^^'

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.