Knowing when a node is connected

I'm sure this must have come up before, but I've searched and not found the answer anywhere:

When I have part A that I would like to connect to part B and C at the same time, it will often detach from one of the other parts in flight, and so I was wondering how I can tell which part is attached to where during assembly?

Edited by mik00014
Question answered

Mousing over the part you think you have connected to should light up the connected part as well. Or you can click on the part you think you connected to (hopefully with the new part attached) and then reattach both parts together to the ship.

Edited by Gus

The problem is, apparently the way Unity handles the connection tree, you're only able to split, not re-joint "branches". So when you have part A and you split it with a bi-coupler (into branches B and C), you can't then re-join branches B and C into branch A again, say with an upside-down bi-coupler.

This is because you can connect only one part to one thing at a time, so you'll never be able to connect two parts to a single part in a single motion, and two motions will disconnect the previous part. Make sense?

There's an exploitative way around this with docking ports, but it's not ideal as docking ports have awful-to-no rigidity, and they'd require action groups to be set up to act like decouplers if that's your goal. It's kind of a pain.

edit: everyone's far faster than i, apparently.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.