KC-35 D Armadillo SSTO 18 kerban fast attack transport

Hello Pilots,

Kerban Carriers is proud to announce the next generation in single stage to orbit transport. Are you tired of massive transports that only get ten Kerbans into space? Are you looking for a fast, maneuverable platform that will fit in your hangar? KC Ltd. has the answer for you! Meet the KC-35 D Armadillo SSTO 18 passenger Fast Attack Transport. Smaller than most bombers (Heck, smaller than it's name!), the Armadillo is capable of carrying 18 passengers up to orbit and back. Although less agile in the air than the original KC-35, due to increased thrust and weight, it is still capable of evasive maneuvers. Veteran pilots will find that barrel rolls, immelmans, and loops are still within the Armadillo's capabilities. Steamlined, fast, small, and agile, we here at Kerban Carriers Ltd. are sure that you will find the KC-35 D Armadillo to be your go to platform for intraplanetary and even interplanetary transport!

Please place your purchase order here, full instructions and owners manual come with purchase. (download)

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/kc-35-d-armadillo-fat-ssto/

We have vainly...er...modestly included a few images of the KC-35 D in flight.

screenshot72_zpsa83b391d.png

screenshot75_zpseeddbca2.png

screenshot73_zps4e3e06e8.png

screenshot74_zpse39b0c23.png

*The engine nacelles in that third one are blackened because my comp was having problems rendering them while I also posted to photobucket, the spaceport, here, and facebook...and watched youtube...so there's that.

Hmm, if you look close in the first pick, see the aerospikes inside the turbojets on either side of the trasport bay opening? Oh, and for those that download it, I put instructions on it's most efficient flight profile in both the info at the spaceport and the info under the name in the SPH when you drop the little window.

Edited by barrenwaste

It is definitely an SSTO, but it has serious balance issues during orbital maneuvers. The center of mass is below the center of thrust, and it just tumbles with the aerospikes on. This is without a crew, don't know if Kerbals have mass, but if they do this issue will most definitely be much worse. It does look awesome though, so that's something.:sticktongue:

The aerospikes are slightly above the center of mass, but not enough to cause uncontrolled tumble in any of the flights I tested. Could you explain what you were doing in detail? Were you piloting at full thrust or 1/3 rd? Were you using RCS, SAS, both, or neither?

EDIT: I've lowered the center of thrust, specifically the aerospikes. I've tested them at full power and I didn't have any significant problmes. Thanks to Varyon for pointing that out. I'll have the altered version up in an hour or so, after I do some more testing with it.

Edited by barrenwaste

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.