Get jeb home for his tea

RNSP

Since you said 'any parts' I decided to dabble in cheatish parts for the first time in a while. Spoilered to save people\'s screens.

Capsule with parachute and light decoupler, 8 FTL drive fuel tanks, and a KW Hercules X.

TFRbN.png

Launched it and made sure it was on a truly straight-up orbit with apogee at 83,000 km. They spent just less than one of the fuel tanks doing that.

Just after it starts falling back in, Jeb tells the other two it\'s time to go home quick; 'let\'s see what this baby can do!' They line up carefully aimed at the planet...

0KUJh.png

5 days, 7 hours, 11 1/2 minutes after they launched, they throttle up to full, and watch the orbit view carefully to make sure they\'re not going to miss re-entry and drift off into space. As soon as it\'s confirmed they\'re aimed straight at the planet... Jeb locks the controls. 'Guess it\'s time I explain why I named this one the Planet Buster. Y\'all thought I was joking - the joke\'s on you!'

The next 23 minutes consist of frantic efforts from the other two to override Jeb\'s lockout, but it\'s all for nothing. At the end of that time, they\'re going 61.6 km/s, they\'ve already covered half the distance they took the last 5 days travelling, and there\'s absolutely nothing they can do but wait for the next 12 minutes, which is all that it will take to re-enter and die.

izJQr.png

At those speeds, travel time from the Mun to Kerbin is 3 minutes.

Jeb spends the last minute promising that the parachute and heat shielding can handle it!

0tvRI.png

Jeb\'s tombstone would read 'It can handle it!', if only they could find enough parts to bury.

HMGL4.png

Full image gallery here.

I\'m not sure why you thought SE is involved at all. This was NovaPunch+kw+rediculous fuel tank. He said in the OP 'any parts' so I did this, to show that even very low effort on my part I could hit that speed.

The cheatish fuel tank that was included in the FTL drive pack (9999 fuel, 3 mass) is what made that work - you should probably change the challenge, the same method I used could easily break 100 km/s.

I\'m not sure why you thought SE is involved at all. This was NovaPunch+kw+rediculous fuel tank. He said in the OP 'any parts' so I did this, to show that even very low effort on my part I could hit that speed.

The cheatish fuel tank that was included in the FTL drive pack (9999 fuel, 3 mass) is what made that work - you should probably change the challenge, the same method I used could easily break 100 km/s.

The tanks at a glance looked like a SE stack.

And that\'s way more than cheatish, that\'s just lack of effort.

Complaining about my laziness/lack of effort would make sense, except you two seem more interested in complaining than doing the challenge... how\'s that for lazy!

Ignore my result, and show us what a non-lazy design can do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.