Remote Tech Gallery

alacrity

I just wanted to share my Remote Tech 2 gallery with all and get some suggestions...

Primary Relays Located in a Kerbol orbit between Duna and Dres called Smart Ass and Know It All...

10 reflectron GX-128's on each counter orbiting

6iMsMJd.png

GeoSync Relays Charlie Brown at Kerbin and Atlantis at Eve More for other planets as I need them later)

2 GX-128's, 4 KR-7's, and 2 DTS-M1's

TeCiJ86.png

Planetary System Relays one located at the outer moon of each planet (as aplicable)

Currently ReRun at Minmus and Mu at Gilly

2 GX-128's, and 4 DTS-m1's

qQhkthf.png

Munar Repeater located at moons without PSR's (above) currently Sally at Mun

2 KR-7's, and 8 DTS-M1's

wUOlHmH.png

This is my current coverage map at the stellar level

hIFvQeQ.png

And the Kerbin planet system coverage

9PB2mu7.png

I have got one more design to place out depending on the coverage og the Primary Relays... Not sure I will need another connection out towards Jool. If I do it will prolly have to be three of them in staggered orbits.

What am I missing and what do you'all think.

Alacrity

Impressive satellites. Mine are usually much smaller, with maybe just 3 dishes (1 long range and 2 short range) along with the obligatory long range omni-antenna and an ion engine for orbital adjustment. I deploy 6 of them, usually in semi-synchronous orbit of Kerbin, so they're in omni range of each other and the space center. One set of 3 in an equatorial orbit, with another 3 in a polar orbit.

Still, I can see the benefits to having fewer, more sophisticated, comsats.

1024x576.resizedimage

I started doing my relay network recently, so there are not a lot of things made yet. Here is the first phase.

Untitled-1_zpsa9439af4.jpg~original

I use four of these 2tn KSO satellites in a box pattern, each one having 5 dishes and some omni directional antennas (one is enough but symmetry is pretty). The big dish is on the active vessel (this will change in phase two though), and the four others look at mission control - the satellite behind - mun and minmus. Using RLA mono engines and micro AEIS RCS blocks for taking them to orbit gave me a constellation precise enough to stay in place for a couple of decades or so without any maintenance needed..C:

Next phase would be to install two polar elliptic stations that will be the main relays for the entire kerbol system. This will provide a lot of uptime, while keeping the number of flights and expenses low enough to not bork framerate or "bankrupt" the program. The idea is not to spam GX-128s, but to use appropriately sized dishes for all planets, both for budget and ec efficiency reasons.

Edited by Dante80

My orbits are all messed up by now, but I took a different approach.

All the dishes we have are fixed ones, and my brain can't stand the fact of attaching two of them back to back and magically having them pointing to two planets that can be in any possition other than the right one for the satellite, so I have a 16 satellites ring around Kerbin, in kerbostationary orbit (2x each planet and Kerbin moons, originally placed 180º in each pair and well spaced between them... now they are all out of place xD). Also, I got a lower pair of satellites targeting active vessel for interplanetary travels.

Then I'm sending a couple of satellites to each planet to get the link up and running, and a secondary satellite mini network for their moons when applicable (2x in parent planet, 2x in moon). Except Jool, by now it's only getting coverage in Laythe, but give me time to prepare it's own jooolian network. Every satellite (but the Ike ones, 5Mm omni antennas are more than enough for it) is mounting a single dish of the shortest range posible for the task.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Traches...

I used slingshots to turn the orbits as much as I could, then burned for the polar orbits. The Satelites are light enough that some time spent with Nervs will get you there. Kerbol Polar orbit offer great coverage with out having to launch so many. I use polar orbits on the Munar relays too, great coverage and fewer celestial occlusions.

Firov...

I started with simpler ugly little sats when I was mainly playing around in Kerbin Orbit. 6 1/2 geo's and 1 geo on kerbin stacked to the cieling with batts and flat sloar panels. I had more satelites in Kerbin orbit then I have in my total network now. Once I got the panels and batts to run the big stuff it made little sence to keep building small.

Demon_82

I was planning a complicated network like yours but with the mods I am running the memroy weight of all those extra flights would have killed my install. Once you get your career to the point of bigger antennas and batteries I think you will find the polar orbits multi antenna model saves you a lot of heart ache

Alacrity

...and phase two complete.

Untitled-1_zps86bb4937.jpg~original

Main relay placed in a 5000km circular orbit around kerbin. Equipped with 16 long range dishes (each one targeting a different celestial body) and 4 short range dishes that communicate with the KSO sats. Here is the grid right now:

Untitled-2_zpsefdb8435.jpg~original

The KSO grid was tuned so that I can have 2 satellites pointing to mission control permanently, and at least one satellite connecting to the relay at all times. I don't think I will need a second one in a polar orbit, so the only thing to do now is provide repeaters for missions as the need arises.

What do you think?

I have a bunch of sats traveling on a as low as possible kerbin orbit on the equator in a direction opposite to kerbins rotation:

2A0Ss6H.png

This way i can use the always active 250km antenna for launches. Its also nice to frequently see one of them passing by on other crafts and even from KSC.

Though i still have not figured out a nice looking sat network to cover kerbins poles. And my sats are way more... "functional", not barely that nice looking^^

@Demon_82

Yea, from the code it seems like RT can eat up quite some processing time on larger networks. I was about to try to improve it somewhat, but it turned out my network was far to small and the issue actually related to MJ. Would you upload your save, so i can have a closer look at your networks performance impact? Especially since your screens look like you have stock satellites.

ps: I found one easy optimization with a real benefit, though apart from that is RT's performance quite okay anyway. Good enough for my ****ty notebook and that large network, so i don't think other optimizations (that would require way more work) are necessary for now.

Edited by Faark

Plugins in use in my save are RemoteTech 2, MechJeb 2, Procedural Fairings, IonCross Crew Support, Crew Manifest, SCANsat, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement and HrmHaystack, in the most recent versions available (well, maybe MechJeb is a couple of developer versions old xD ), but yeah, my satellite network is stock, other than RT2 and MJ2, or Procedural Fairings for launch.

There you go:

persistent.sfs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.