[TechTree] [0.23.5] Ackander's Vertical Tech Tree - Release v1.16 - May 13, 2014

Ackander

To balance grindyness and difficulty, how much science should Vertical TechTree cost?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. To balance grindyness and difficulty, how much science should Vertical TechTree cost?

• >23,000 = more science grinding, generally harder and more time consuming
    • 21,000-23,000
    • 19,000-21,000 - Stock TechTree costs 19,738 science
    • 17,000-19,000
    • <17,000 = less science grinding, generally easier and less time consuming

Aye! I have a few things to do today and I can start on an update tonight. I have been neglecting this project in favor of my next project. I have had some learning to do for it so it has taken longer than anticipated to get going on it. In the meantime, if anyone wants to suggest mods I need to give priority to in the update, I would be greatful for the assistance. TTFN.

It begs the question, and I'm sure it has been asked in the past, but is there ANY way of running all the mods at the same time without waiting on a 64-bit version of KSP? I am having rather a difficult time even with the BoulderCo aggressive texture reducer running. Has anyone had any success running them all simultaneously?

Nevermind. Removed all mods, turned textures down to quarter, then re-added. Works now!

Edited by captainradish

It begs the question, and I'm sure it has been asked in the past, but is there ANY way of running all the mods at the same time without waiting on a 64-bit version of KSP? I am having rather a difficult time even with the BoulderCo aggressive texture reducer running. Has anyone had any success running them all simultaneously?

Nevermind. Removed all mods, turned textures down to quarter, then re-added. Works now!

get the mod called active texture manager its about as close as u gonna get.

ackander intersteellar added 1 node and .23.5 added 1 node but also moved 1 or 2 nodes is all that has changed. the .23.5 added a node for th claw

Not sure if this is a bug, but I've got a Tiberdyne Aerospace engine in my parachute node. The other Tiberdyne parts seem to be in the correct area.

Edit: Also, I just wanted to mention that you did an awesome job with the tech tree. I was using Interstellar's for a while and then it just began to not make sense to me, while this one is more of a grindfest I love that you have taken the time to try and balance the various mods among a single tree.

Edited by Undeadbanana

any idea when update?

since he not replied i went and manualy added the new intersteelar and the grappling hock to existing nodes. if cant post it tell me and ill take down

http://rg.to/file/ec10130b78b32a085ddc166c23ba8fcf/tree.rar.html

havent tested yet thou. onloy thing ive did was add the new interstellar parts to a node and added the graple hook. no other modifcations have been made.

Edited by sidfu

any idea when update?

since he not replied i went and manualy added the new intersteelar and the grappling hock to existing nodes. if cant post it tell me and ill take down

http://rg.to/file/ec10130b78b32a085ddc166c23ba8fcf/tree.rar.html

havent tested yet thou. onloy thing ive did was add the new interstellar parts to a node and added the graple hook. no other modifcations have been made.

I'm not able to open your Rar file, is it possible to upload it as a zip?

Lol, sounds like that is more useful than the actual tree. ;) Thanks for staying tuned, everyone, I have not entirely evaporated, yet. Unfortunately, I probably will not have the tech tree updated any time soon.. so busy right now.. that said, stock parts should appear somewhere in the tree at least, except maybe the claw, I am not sure how treeloader etc handles the new stock node. I will take a look at Sidfu's update, however, and maybe put it up as an 'unofficial' update in the meantime. Thanks, Sidfu for that.

As for my current project.. I am not sure if I am ready to reveal anything yet as I am not one to intentionally embarass myself by my apparent mediocrity and lack of progress.. I am sure it will be fine when I am done, but for now let us just say that it is not yet ready to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if someone has already posted this problem. Whenever I add a mod after already unlocking that section in the tech tree, I'm unable to pick that part. I know if I add a part afterwards I would just go to research and development and click the individual part and research it but when I go back to VAB or SPH the part says it has to be unlocked in R&D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ackander (or community),

Is there a dependency list or spreadsheet/chart somewhere? I love using this tech tree and I'm planning on using it in my next YouTube series but it would be REALLY nice to know how the tree evolves. Early on it's easy to waste science just figuring out how to unlock a specific node.

Hopefully this question makes sense...if not please let me know!

Thank you for an awesome tech tree!

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently gotten back into starting a new career save, and wanted to use this tree. After getting TreeLoader and putting the tree.cfg in the save file, for some reason a lot of the nodes are scattered about the place and I can see about 10 to 12 nodes (some empty) scattered around the science screen with various costs, from Heavy Atomic engines to some life support systems (a random selection with highly varied point costs).

Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong in putting in the tree, or if anyone else has had this problem?

I was just in the mood to start a new game and wanted to give a different tech tree a try. It's really hard to find one that integrates the mods I use well (RemoteTech, Interstellar, TAC life support, Deadly Re-Entry etc.) - this one is just plain excellent for the support alone, and both fun and funny!

You have no idea how long of been waiting for something like this. This will remedy my one big grip about the game. All i need to do now is get fired and play this game till I'm evicted.

Two mods I think warrant addition to the list: KAX and Spaceplane Plus

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76668-0-23-5-Kerbal-Aircraft-Expansion-(KAX)-v2-2-1-Now-With-100-More-Helicopters

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80796-0-23-5-Spaceplane-Plus-1-1

I've recently gotten back into starting a new career save, and wanted to use this tree. After getting TreeLoader and putting the tree.cfg in the save file, for some reason a lot of the nodes are scattered about the place and I can see about 10 to 12 nodes (some empty) scattered around the science screen with various costs, from Heavy Atomic engines to some life support systems (a random selection with highly varied point costs).

Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong in putting in the tree, or if anyone else has had this problem?

What seems to happen is, as you reveal more and more of the tree, those errant nodes slip back into place. So when you get to a connection to one of them, it pops back to where it should be. Thats what im noticing.

I do feel like the tree should gear you toward making planes before you can move onto rockets. I just like the idea of developing flight before space travel. In stock you can focus a little bit into planes and get rewords from it. Usually I start with simple planes that use trusses as landing gear and grab up all the local research I can. Then the move from planes to rockets is more rewording.

I do feel like the tree should gear you toward making planes before you can move onto rockets. I just like the idea of developing flight before space travel. In stock you can focus a little bit into planes and get rewords from it. Usually I start with simple planes that use trusses as landing gear and grab up all the local research I can. Then the move from planes to rockets is more rewording.

I did try to adjust science costs for this, I thought. Generally, the entire aerospace section is cheaper than the rocketry. You can research the entire aerospace side before rockets for the most part. If there was any inclusion of pre-jet aerospace technology by Squad, I would have required that before jets and advanced rocketry. As it is, the Vertical TechTree assumes pre-Jet tech is "free" and jet and rocketry tech can be simultaneously developed, albeit at different rates. Maybe someday if advances in KSP techtree are made to make it more dynamic, I might redo the Vertical TechTree, but my main focus was to give players the freedom to choose what direction their tech moves, while still having realistic requirements.

I guess this impression stems from the lack of a jet engines early on. You have to rely on rockets, which have **** poor range in atmo. To get an early plane to even the highlands region you have to attach a bunch of staged boosters, which at that point it is essentially a rocket. It just becomes so much easier to do a moon flyby even if you have been pushing avionics.

I was hoping to look into getting KAX included in the tree.cfg today or tomorrow, if I have time. I do agree a jet engine is pretty advanced and should be up the tree a little, but KAX (and firespitter for that matter) have prop engines which I think are fair to have available early on if not at the start.

Do you recommend trying to use treeedit or just try changes in the tree.cfg? I remember treeedit being really flaky.

Edited by Sentmassen

It can be pretty flaky, I agree. If all you are doing is adding parts to existing nodes, I would just edit tree.cfg, but if you are going to add nodes, for sure use treeedit. As I may have said earlier, AVTT has been moved to something of a back burner while I work on a new project, so extensive updates are currently not pending. When starting AVTT, I did have firespitter in there, but if I recall correctly, there were just too many disparate parts to justify, at the time, making new nodes. Now, however, there are so many nodes, I don't think the techtree "engine" can actually handle them all and their connections, ergo some connections dissapearing and other errors seen.

I have tended to stay away from the forums this past few weeks, perhaps erreneously so I, just to concentrate on the new project, and I am pretty busy IRL, so I have not been able to see new mods come into the game like Spaceplane plus with its high quality awesome parts I can only look upon enviously.

Anyway, I fully agree with you about pre-jet flight and how I handled jet flight in the tree; I just do not have the time to make any neccessary revisions at this point in time, sorry. I am, however, open to user involvement when it comes to further development, so if anyone has good changes or additions they want to make, I would try to make time to review such.

G'day.

Oh boy, tried using tree edit.... and it crashed every time. Don't know if its because of the number of the mods I have or, like you say, tree edit cant hack the number of connections. Ill try loading it in my test version of the game and see if it still *****s the bed.

But I did play around with just editing the tree.cfg. At this point I can only effectively play with the tree that I've unlocked. Unless I get tree edit to work ill have to adjust things as I progress.

I know what your saying about firespitter. At this point KAX has a much more concise number of parts. I wouldn't mind cooking on it myself to see what I get.

I feel like I sounded overly critical of the tree before. I looked at the branch and saw what you were doing. I think what I did wrong was I opened up a lot of the early branches without any focus, which ate up xp. So by the time I figured out what I wanted, I had to go into space to get the xp I needed.

So I plugged KAX v2.2.1 and Spaceplane Plus v1.2 in, but have not balanced them.

One thing I was noticing was that if there Isn't a citation for a part in the tree.cfg, the part will not appear, even under the correct tech ID. I was under the impression that it would just throw them in the Stock KSP nodes. Am I wrong?

Edited by Sentmassen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.