'Offical Release' Colony Mod

shadow3100

its ok guys it will be re released soon i will do the models my self with out the crap o i can say the mod is mine and maybe get a small team to gether and i had a vision of making a mod that adds new star systems warp drives worm hole genarators aliens on planets i know it can be done by plugins parts and other stuff

I'm offering my modelling skills, as long as someone else does the texturing, as that is usually the bottleneck in my process.

I worked on some stuff for an orbital construction mod that's not going anywhere, we could use those models in this mod.

Example:

... Aka models, textures, etc.
...and exactly these where included in the first download...
This mod really has great potentials, sadly limited by the legal stuffies...
Errr.... maybe sometimes, but you can be sure: NOT in this case.

@shadow3100: It's only my humble opinion, but your main problem is not the missing 3d artist stuff (you can use stock placeholders), your main problem is the missing concept. Setting up a colony with 100 kerbals should be not equal to "bring a 1.25mx4m part that weight 1to to somewhere". It should be really hard, requiring to haul a lot of stuff. Maybe you had to include a sort of KerbTown to avoid a heart-attack of the computer that trys to simulate the colony for 100 Kerbals.

It should also obey the "conservation of mass" and "conservation of energy" rules, and should _not_ have sorts of "Iwin-buttons" inside (like your storage, your engine and you factory/biochamber was).

This mod really has great potentials, (...)

Not if you keep flaming about it.

He might still be learning and by that kind of critisizm, i think i would loose the drive to create something and then share it.

Give it suggestions and time instead of saying this has no potential, which is VERY rude!

Edited by Lucchese

He might still be learning and by that kind of critisizm, i think i would loose the drive to create something and then share it.

Give it suggestions and time instead of saying this has no potential, which is VERY rude!

Sorry, i think i have left room for missundestanding: I don't want to deny that this mod (or at least the idea) has potential. I fact, i think it has big potential. But in this case "legal stuffies" (that you forget to quote) isn't jamming anything.

I hope, now it is clear what i mean.

...and exactly these where included in the first download...

@shadow3100: It's only my humble opinion, but your main problem is not the missing 3d artist stuff (you can use stock placeholders), your main problem is the missing concept. Setting up a colony with 100 kerbals should be not equal to "bring a 1.25mx4m part that weight 1to to somewhere". It should be really hard, requiring to haul a lot of stuff. Maybe you had to include a sort of KerbTown to avoid a heart-attack of the computer that trys to simulate the colony for 100 Kerbals.

It should also obey the "conservation of mass" and "conservation of energy" rules, and should _not_ have sorts of "Iwin-buttons" inside (like your storage, your engine and you factory/biochamber was).

And as kerbals do not have mass anyway you want me to put the mass of the colony part at let say 30 all the time with or without kerbals now that is stupid

you right on the most part but then again i know how to use unity and have help devs that have failed because they have no will power im a texture and terran artist in unity this will be re released soon we have a 3d artist and a c# programmer and will be asking for a bigger time when the time comes but i have a great vision of this mod being as big as mechjeb

Sorry, i think i have left room for missundestanding: I don't want to deny that this mod (or at least the idea) has potential. I fact, i think it has big potential. But in this case "legal stuffies" (that you forget to quote) isn't jamming anything.

I hope, now it is clear what i mean.

That means you still think the way this mod has been done makes it so it has no potential...

And I didnt forget to quote the legal stuffies part, I replaced it with (...) because I already understood you were not talking about the mod being held back by legal issues.

Thanks for "But in this case "legal stuffies" (that you forget to quote) isn't jamming anything.", which confirms my suspision.

License crap always gets in the way with every cool mod it seems. It's not like they can make money off of it anyways....(and good luck suing the USA without being able to prove monetary damages.). I just ignore licenses in anything I do(modpacks, etc in minecraft), and anything I ever release on my own is 100% open with no exceptions.

Easy there haight ashbury, no one is talking about lawsuits. Just saying the licensing issue is there for a reason, and it is morally wrong to just ignore it and copy someone elses work.

Borrowing concepts from another work is fine, but taking the whole or 95% of the work and just renaming it is flat out wrong.

Well that was disappointing. Many spelling mistakes, everything has a mass of 1 or 2 even if it says 'very heavy' or has a factory/100 kerbals inside. Kiddie fantasy mod classification I'm afraid, pity but yeah, not a keeper.

I am inclined to agree with you. After testing out the initial download link, it appears that most of the models are from other mods that have been textured differently, or in some cases the texture hasn't been changed one bit ex. the popular Kethane drill.

Also, (just a suggestion to the OP) the resources given to the fustek modules your using as the colony parts are a bit unbalanced. Instead of cramming everything into a few modules like the battery that can hold 250000 it may be a nice idea to spread it out a bit and lower the resource amounts. (also i'd imagine a battery that can store that much would be much heavier than 0.02 mass.) or the station modules that can hold 100 kerbals yet be the size of about 2 command pods. Aside from that the textures could do a bit of work as well, repainting the fustek modules black and lime green doesn't really make the parts look too fancy.

I think this is a great idea and would really like to see this as a mod for KSP, but currently this will need to be refined quite a bit before it'll be considered a must have mod. Bring some new blood into your team and instead of trying to do everything on your own, try focusing on one thing and let the other guy focus on another issue. Trying to do everything doesn't always have the best results.

I wish you luck with the mod though.

Edited by Sigma52

ok a little update for you guys the bio chamber has a mass of 6 the colony module has a mass of 27.5m after having a look at default a bit and came to be-leave that a kerbal wait is 0.25 each docking port module had mass of 4 and the factor has a mass of 12.5 new models will be place into the mod and other models will be out also we will be putting in a laser miner inside the mod so you can mine in orbit but it will be less effective then the drills

We need a 3d artist that can help with the 3d art i can do the textures and the cfg and we have a c# programmer we have great dreams for this mod please message me on the forums if you can help make this mod as big as i think we can get it

*raises hand*

• 1 month later...
What's wrong with it? It allows for self-sufficient colonies (mostly). He's just using what's available using other mods as the base.

I believe his comment was referring to an important missing 'r' in "Resources." =P

I guess this is stalled looking for people to model parts?

I believe his comment was referring to an important missing 'r' in "Resources." =P

I guess this is stalled looking for people to model parts?

That's likely. Majirr doesn't like redistribution of his models, but I don't see why Shadow doesn't make a set of MM CFGs to add the functions to the drills and other parts once everything is loaded. (Would be using Kethane's own distribution of parts, just adding the abilities)

That's likely. Majirr doesn't like redistribution of his models, but I don't see why Shadow doesn't make a set of MM CFGs to add the functions to the drills and other parts once everything is loaded. (Would be using Kethane's own distribution of parts, just adding the abilities)

Not a bad idea, actually, and I think people's part lists are scary enough as it is if they're trying to build a functional lifesupport/mining/construction trifecta - I know mine is. =P

That said, is Shadow around now? This thread was kind of a ghost town before I showed up...

I'm sorry but PLEASE correct your spelling and grammar! It's almost impossible to read and is a real eye sore. It's ruining, for me, what could be a fantastic mod!

if spelling is ruining a mod for u then something is wrong. serously