Tweakable fuel tanks

LethalDose

If you want to look at it yourself, 'Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Engine\nuclearEngine' And read the part.cfg.

"// Yes, I know this is wrong. NTRs don't actually burn fuel and oxidizer, but we don't want to jump into making separate tanks for the two yet."

They talked about tweakables to fix that just after the NTR came out. Maybe this is the first pass on tweaks and better fuel handing is coming later. Would be nice to hear something on it from the dev's.

With the duel mode engines we could even have Bimodal or Trimodal NTR's,

This is an interesting discussion, with a variety of viewpoints. I'll just add my 2 cents also. I certainly understand keeping the maximum total value of a tank relative to its volume and mass an unbreakable constant, otherwise it'd allow for something approaching "infinite fuel". I also understand the fact that a rocket fuel tank in reality contains two (or more) tanks; for the separate storage of fuel and oxidizer. Given that, its understandable that both separate values (for O2 and fuel) can be adjusted from the max each to zero each.

I understand that it would be cool if we could balance (a la "stretchy" internal tanks) the O2 and fuel mix so that either the O2 could exceed its normal max if the fuel were adjusted down, or vice versa with the fuel/ O2. Or the extreme would simply be either both tanks filled with all fuel or all O2. This is simply a desire for the greatest flexibility for any particular (rocket) fuel tank.

Thus I am pleased by the current implementation of tweak-able fuel tanks; yet I'd not be disappointed if such ability were extended to "balancing" the fuel/ oxidizer combination such that the tank remains filled to its capacity.

Thanks to Squad, my fueled adapters and nose cones are now tweak-able. :) (Shameless plug: see my sig line.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.