Long-Distance Call

Commander Zoom

CiZijUV.jpg

azdFhD6.jpg

Tre Kerman, brave kerbonaut, steps off the ladder and onto the dusty orange-red soil of Duna. Letting go of the last rung, he turns to face the alien vista. Though he is not alone, he has the honor of being first to make the descent - standing, as it were, in the footsteps of greats like the legendary Jeb Kerman. He opens his mouth to say something appropriate for the occasion... and his phone rings.

"Hello?

Yeah, it's Tre.

Yeah.

Yeah.

No.

Look, I'm kind of busy right now. I'm on Duna.

Duna. Next planet out from Kerbin, the red one?

Yeah.

Yeah, I'm command pilot for the First Duna Expedition. That's what I've been doing for the last two months. That's why I haven't been by to see you.

Right.

I sound funny 'cause I've got my phone up against my space helmet.

No, I can't take it off. There's no air here.

Yeah.

No... no, I can't pick up your dry-cleaning. 'Cause I'm a couple of million miles away right now. I won't be back for almost a year.

That's right.

Because that's just how transfer windows work.

No, not power windows, transfer...

No.

Look, I'll get someone at the Space Center to take care of that for you, all right? I have to get back to the mission now.

Yes.

Yes, I promise.

I will.

Okay.

I'm hanging up now.

Goodbye, Saul."

With a sigh, he puts the phone away and looks around again, the historic moment now past.

"... I guess that's it, then."

I met Tre Chipman through City of Heroes, a superhero MMORPG. He was best known there for his character Ascendant, "a guy with the powers of Superman and the luck of Peter Parker." His one-sided phone conversations with his less-than-competent agent/manager/uncle Saul were famous on the Virtue server and even got an official nod from the game's devs in a line of NPC dialogue.

After eight years, and despite truly heroic efforts on the part of the community to keep it open, CoH was shut down near the end of 2012. Seven months later, there was more bad news: not only had we lost our game, we'd lost one of our own. Taken from us, by a sudden illness, much too young.

Tre's writing, both humorous and dramatic, and his overall attitude were an inspiration to me during my years playing CoH. I regret that I didn't know him longer or better. I never knew he had a Twitter, or got to meet and talk with him in person; but I'm informed by those who did that he was as warm and friendly (and clever and funny) in real life as he was in-game. I especially regret not learning until after he was gone that he had started playing KSP. This personal tribute began taking shape within weeks of the announcement. It's taken six months and a couple of versions to get all the pieces in place, to do it right, but I was determined to get it done by year's end.

And so, late yesterday (Boxing Day), in my own space program... Tre Kerman finally and officially became the first kerbal on Duna.

O6BIlP8.jpg

/e salute

TRE CHIPMAN

1969 - 2013

Edited by Commander Zoom
moved images from Photobucket to Imgur

• 5 months later...

An update:

As of today, Tre Kerman has now visited (and planted flags at) both poles of Duna.

k8Xvj3H.jpg

SVf10BV.jpg

He's also driven (at least) halfway around Duna, been face to face with the Face, reached the summit of an impressive mountain (which I then named in his honor), stood directly "under" Ike, and BASE jumped off the north polar spire to land right at the ladder of the rover parked almost a kilometer below.

8pXaO8e.jpg

0GPlckt.jpg

tUGYYTg.jpg

8CDqGm3.jpg

Godspeed, brave explorer.

Edited by Commander Zoom

• 7 months later...

Bump.

While Tre has probably racked up enough kilometers already to qualify for a trip around Duna, today he and the rest of the First Expedition finished making it official. With stops for darkness and charging batteries, it took a total of 101.5 hours, or just under 17 Kdays. Direction of travel was west to east, or left to right (counter-clockwise).

6lpBstt.jpg

J4Lf7cl.jpg

XbH43R2.jpg

(approximate route)

One notable stop, and the site of another flag-planting, was the peak of the giant shield volcano which I've named Mt. Paragon. (It's the light spot in the middle of the plains on the western half of the image; to the northeast, at the edge of the polar cap, is another which I call Mt. Titan.) On the way back through the Grand Valley, the rover passed within sight of Mt. Ascendant.

/e salute

Edited by Commander Zoom

• 4 weeks later...

Mission Day 845. 590 Kdays on the surface. 28 Kdays since the conclusion of the Duna Odyssey. ~120 hours to return launch window.

The sun is at its zenith, and it's time to go.

All data and samples have been transferred to the lander, and the hab and lab put in shutdown mode; the antennae and delicate solar panels have been retracted.

Tre makes a few remarks, as he, Kenmore, Lanbert, Matsby and Henway line up for one last photo on the surface.

HYuklyt.jpg

"We are leaving now, but we do so knowing that others will follow. They will stand on these sands and look up at these skies; they will climb these mountains and dig into the soil, and discover things we did not. They will walk in our footsteps and blaze new trails, standing on our shoulders to see further and reach higher... just as our journey was made possible by those who came before. We are on a great relay race, stretching out through time and space, and when any one of us falls, others will be there to pick up the torch and carry it onward, toward an ever-receding horizon."

Edited by Commander Zoom

• 1 month later...

kRDKvNn.jpg

The jolt of the reefed parachutes opening is sharp but mercifully brief. It's also welcome, despite the grunts it forces from the three kerbals shoved deeper into their seats; the capsule's plummet toward the space center slows to a gentle, steady descent, like an elevator. The view out the side windows shows that they're coming down right in front of the VAB. Less than a minute later, there's another jolt and a loud THUD from behind them... and they're down. Down and safe, back on Kerbin, after almost three years away.

YIaXmVX.jpg

The kerbonauts exchange shaky cheers and congratulations; they're too weak for anything more, after so much time floating free and, before that, the lower gravity of Duna. Tre Kerman, commander of the expedition, confirms over the radio what anyone can tell just by looking outside. The quarantine truck rolls up beside the grounded capsule and the access tunnel begins to extend, ready to usher them into isolation and the tender care of the flight surgeons.

And then, Tre's phone rings.

"you gotta be kidding... Hello, Saul.

Call it a hunch.

Also, I've got caller ID.

Yeah.

That's right.

Yes, just now.

Uh huh.

Yes.

Well, first they're gonna have the doctors check us out, make sure we're all OK; then I guess they'll probably give us a parade. We might even get to meet the... what's that?

No.

No, Saul. I'm not going to get up on national TV and plug your new space tourism business.

Well, for one thing the program has very strict rules about that sort of thing.

Right.

Also, it's just...

No.

Saul, do you even have a rocket?

No, you can't borrow one of theirs!

Because...

No, Saul.

Saul, I have to go. Everyone's looking at me.

Saul...

Saul...

Please stop crying, Saul.

I know, Saul. I know you've only ever wanted what's best for me.

Yes.

I know. I'm sorry.

I really do have to go now.

Yes.

I'm sorry.

Goodbye."

*beep*

CALL ENDED

Edited by Commander Zoom

To close out this thread, here's the complete story of the First Duna Expedition, in words and pictures.

1 - Heading Out

2 - Arrival

3 - Descent

4 - Ike / Enigma

5 - Pole to Pole

6 - Odyssey

7 - The Voyage Home

The rest... is silence.

Edited by Commander Zoom

Your naming technique of rockets is very unique and enjoyable. I am quite tired of long, code-like names, overused constellations, and Roman and Greek mythology. It is great to see someone use something new, in your case Hindu gods. This is a very interesting mission and it really makes me want to make my own giant Duna mission. Thanks for sharing. :)

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.