That 1 craft you spent hours on but never left the launchpad (or runway)

davieholgate

So, what happened to your inventions?  

1. 1. So, what happened to your inventions?

• My creations Always reach orbit
    • Ive had some failings here and there :p
    • Orbit? whats that?

Yeah, thats pretty disturbing, but in a good way.

I crunch everything through KER (or pen 'n' paper if im feeling old school) so they work in theory. I have a number of designs that inexplicably detonate/implode on the pad with alarming regularity, others that struggle to break 500m without serious harmonics building up in the launcher.

There are a couple that crash the game everytime I hit 'Launch', and some that should work just fine, and seem to, until pieces randomly decide to tear off. And on the off-chance the whole thing DOES hold together, well it will be the 1 launch in 10 that I let mechjeb handle and he will fumble the grav turn or be lead-footed with terminal-velocity matching and/or apoapsis finetuning and tear the ruddy thing to bits anyway.

We aint a rocket company...

Did nobody tell you we are actually fireworks merchants?

Oooohhh!

Aaaahhh!

......ouch

What tends to happen to me is that I get out one of my stock lifters, and start building the latest component to the ships I build in LKO.

But I cant always be bothered to split up the launches into smaller launches, so I just keep adding bits, and adding bits and adding more bits (and moar struts)

Finally I decide.. well thats about 500-600 parts , time to launch..... and watch the whole lot fall apart on the launch pad as the weight of my 200 ton payload crushes the lifter

Boris

'Actually what more often happens is that the ship comes apart at about 30km as the reducing fuel weight increases the thrust available to the point of strutural failure between the lift and payload... makes a nice firework when that happens :D"

• 4 weeks later...
You've pretty much written out the solution to your problem there :P

In any case, as long as you can keep your apoapsis ahead of you it doesn't really matter how quickly you're accelerating provided you reach orbit.

Yeah, I figured that out a while ago and have been able to get into orbit, but I made a mistake when attaching fuel lines for my tanker (which gets it to the moon) and didn't notice it until my 5th attempt. So I'm basically too lazy to try again :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.