Any good planet exploration games?

drawerboy

That is really hard to find one :o I know space engine, which is awesome, but it is more for looking at planets then surfaces, and has no visible aliens, though certain planets are labeled "has life". It is free too!

Then you have Starbound, which is actually a game similar to what you want, but is 2d.

You also have Planet Explorers, which is probably most like what you want, but is not out yet fully, and the development is "slow" You can download a really early free version though, and the full version costs 22 dollars.

On a waaay more serious note though, what language are you writing in, will it have realistic orbit physics and can I be alpha tester? :-D

Since I'm not Nova, I can't answer the questions but: No Idea, No Idea, and No. Sitting there and being cute won't make you Nova's best friend and be an alpha tester :)

These might be a bit of a stretch. The Myst series' alien worlds are created and maintained by the use of "writing" and "books". These are exploration and puzzle solving games. Then stretching further, there are plenty of shooters out there with the action on alien worlds.

Man, I shouldn't have opened my big mouth... now I've gone and accidentally derailed this poor man's thread.

Lol.

I'll un-derail it for you.

You may wan't to try Space Engineers, It's a game where you build ships and things and when you crash it has real physics parts break off and you can repair, Dosen't have any life only you and a possible multiplayer, I'm unsure on that note. EVE Online may be a good choice, It has that ship-choosing/building And Space Exploration, Also life on planets if If i remember correctly. Those are about the best options you got, On the railing of 3D Kinda Planets and thingies. These kinds of games aren't being made. And your putting a waaaaaaaaaaaaay too specific limit to what you want. So in my defense, Those are all you have.

Am i in NO way responsible for your computer exploding or overheating because it may not meet the minimum requirements of BOTH games. For more information and to decrease the chances of your computer blowing up into a million peaces, Here's the minimum requirements for both the games http://www.eveonline.com/faq/client-system-requirements/ http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/system-requirements.html Note Space Engineers is an early access game on STEAM. On that note it has been dated for computers with windows XP or latest SP of XP if i'm not right please quote and post but please, tidy this forum and trim-a-bit. So use the compatibility thing for windows that windows have and your all set. So don't hold me responsible for your likeness of not listening to my warnings

Lol.

I'll un-derail it for you.

You may wan't to try Space Engineers, It's a game where you build ships and things and when you crash it has real physics parts break off and you can repair, Dosen't have any life only you and a possible multiplayer, I'm unsure on that note. EVE Online may be a good choice, It has that ship-choosing/building And Space Exploration, Also life on planets if If i remember correctly. Those are about the best options you got, On the railing of 3D Kinda Planets and thingies. These kinds of games aren't being made. And your putting a waaaaaaaaaaaaay too specific limit to what you want. So in my defense, Those are all you have.

Am i in NO way responsible for your computer exploding or overheating because it may not meet the minimum requirements of BOTH games. For more information and to decrease the chances of your computer blowing up into a million peaces, Here's the minimum requirements for both the games http://www.eveonline.com/faq/client-system-requirements/ http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/system-requirements.html Note Space Engineers is an early access game on STEAM. On that note it has been dated for computers with windows XP or latest SP of XP if i'm not right please quote and post but please, tidy this forum and trim-a-bit. So use the compatibility thing for windows that windows have and your all set. So don't hold me responsible for your likeness of not listening to my warnings

In my opinion, space engineers has no future. The game is WAY too focused on collisions... You would have to change a lot to add other things. And the developer is hated for not releasing/finishing games.

There's a sandboxy freeware game called Ad Astra that was based on Elite/Frontier/First Encounters. Ad Astra allows you to fly down to planet surfaces, and it does have alien life. It hasn't been updated for three years now, but I found it kind of interesting and surprisingly feature-rich. Check out the image gallery.

A search of the term "planet exploration game" pointed me to a game called "Outer Wilds" that might also be of interest to you. I haven't played it, but it looks neat.

And just a couple days ago I saw a video review of a game called Lifeless Planet that, while more puzzle-oriented, does indeed let you explore an alien world.

Though it only features alien planet exploration in a shorthand form (with alien life, too, some hostile), The free Ur-Quan Masters HD is a smashingly good retro space exploration/combat game. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's basically the old 1990's Star Control 2, up-rezzed. It's one of the best games ever made, in my opinion.

Edited by pebble_garden

"Noctis" is a good one, in my opinion. Sure, absolutely outdated graphics, weird controls, but ... it's vast, and strangely addictive. And it's free.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noctis

Webpage: http://anynowhere.com/bb/layout/html/frameset.html

... I very much like the sound of this game. I'll have to check it out sometime, hopefully I don't find myself wondering where five days went after starting.

In my opinion, space engineers has no future. The game is WAY too focused on collisions... You would have to change a lot to add other things. And the developer is hated for not releasing/finishing games.

This is what they showed in initail previews, because pretty much everyone loved the idea of good collisions. Now they have mining, weapons, rotators, copy/paste, gravity cannons, warheads, docking, quite good.

This is what they showed in initail previews, because pretty much everyone loved the idea of good collisions. Now they have mining, weapons, rotators, copy/paste, gravity cannons, warheads, docking, quite good.

But the game is still heavily based on crashing/destruction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.