InfiniteDice -=Skillful=- Combat Damage & Weapons Mod

InfiniteDice

I'm having.. uh.. issues. I'm finding that it is impossible to reload any guns. (it is possible to reload the missile pods) I'm getting almost frustrated. I cannot do it... I'll go through step by step what I'm doing. 1. Fire the gun and use a bunch of ammo. 2. Get out of the vehicle (in this case it's a pod with a Metal support beam attached with the gun and an ammo box right beside it) and right click on the gun and press the "reload from nearby" button. 3. Get back into vehicle to find that the ammo has not changed at all. 4. get back out and press the "transfer ammo button" 5. Alt click the ammo box and press the "transfer ammo" button. nothing works. I even tried alt clicking the ammo box inside the pod and then "transfering" the ammo the way you transfer fuel. Nothing. It just simply refuses to reload. I don't understand! Is it just broken because of the new version? Before I had multiple different mods on but I removed all of them except for module manager and this mod and I still cannot reload the guns. I don't know how to reload anyways.. I thought it would be straightforward haha. If there is some unusual way of reloading the ammo can someone tell me? Like I said, no mods installed. Just skillful. I'm trying every button I see to no avail. What is going wrong? ( just got this mod by the way and absolutely love it good job :D)

Some guns are internally loadable.

The Auto-Air turret:

Right click the turret, click transfer ammo.

alt+right click the ammo box and transfer the ammo like you would fuel.

Some cannot be reloaded from inside the vehicle, like a wing mounted cannon/pod.

1)eva kerbal, right click the gun and transfer ammo

2) get back in and transfer like fuel.

3) eva and right click transfer ammo on the gun again. The whole point of this is to make ground crew more 'needed'.

To transfer ammo from another vessel:(again an EVA kerbal is needed, and the other vessel must be within 40m)

make sure the gun is on transfer ammo = yes

then click transfer from nearby. (ammo must be on a separate vessel than the the one the gun is part of)

Hope this helps, I may revisit reloading in the future, to make it a bit more intuitive, but I won't strip out the need for some guns to require EVA work. Reloading guns in a wing while flying is a bit too arcade-like for me. :)

Edited by InfiniteDice

Been playing with the mouse aiming that many have been suggesting I add. It's in and working!

• Mouse aiming allows for full degree of tracking with the mouse

• when it's enabled it allows firing the turret only with the left mouse button.

• calculates lead-on-target for deflection shooting. I've been able to drive around and shoot while moving in vehicles as well as aircraft.

• Sprays a nice pattern within the cone, pattern and ROF is automatically adjusted based on a few factors.

That's all for now, I'm just getting back from my modding holiday so I'm only 50% active right now. Next big thing will be automating the battleship and tank type turrets I have the range-finding code 50% done, just need to stitch it in.

Technically, if you have a good computer and some friends, you can get DMP and have multiplayer there, although I can understand why many want to wait for Squad to implement it - too technical for people like me to manually start servers and managing connections manually.

I have searched to see if this has been asked before but it does not appear to show up. Certainly let me know if that is not the case. Would it be possible to add support for more than two teams in this mod?

I would like to use this for a war game that has multiple sides instead of only two sides. Additional colors for teams would be fantastic, or setting a team number for designating craft, for a number of different opponents to engage with one another. I do not know how hard this would be to implement, but the mod already supports two teams so I think this could be done relatively easily.

Well, seeing as we're all suggesting stuff multiplayer related, I have a suggestion too.

When multiplayer is released, would it be possible to code/make a part to tell you/make a noise if someone's targeted you, and possibly another noise if they fire a missile or something at you?

Without AI or multiplayer war in KSP is as bland as a stale bagel. Just saying.

Even without real-time multiplayer, multiple team settings would still be useful in turn-based multiplayer games. Auto turrets would be able to fire on all enemies without a player needing to figure out if they have their ship set to the 'opposite' color when approaching an enemy ship.

I like the idea of noises for targeting or impending impact from a missile.

Very true, however it still feels like a shooting range - which is good for combat trials but beyond that its like, well, okay but what do I fight with this?! There is not anything to really fight.... For instance, I made these really cool MBT's that could easily go 23.5 m/s and take several hits from BD's Armory's guns. However, target practice is not a very good enemy now is it?

Very true, however it still feels like a shooting range - which is good for combat trials but beyond that its like, well, okay but what do I fight with this?! There is not anything to really fight.... For instance, I made these really cool MBT's that could easily go 23.5 m/s and take several hits from BD's Armory's guns. However, target practice is not a very good enemy now is it?

Well you could use mechjeb's rover autopilot to make the MBTs move, and use the spaceplane guidance to make spaceplanes fly in their own.

Still feels like a shooting range. A moving target, so what? I have missiles equipped on my MBTs, it is not hard to blow them into a hundred pieces. Also, the cannon is not hard to aim with - a couple sounding shots, and bam you're hitting every time. I want them to shoot back, and launch by themselves. I hate needing to position everything for a few shots of epic. Granted the epic is epic, but still. I want the epic with less hassle.

Why you all moan about no multiplayer?

Mod seems to work perfectly with DarkMultiplayer.

Havent actually attacked anyone yet, but damage from accidental launch stupidity, etc all work. Weapons fire.

This mod is awesome, and now with multiplayer its even moar awesome. 11 out of 10.

My problem is mainly that I want smart AI. Multiplayer just means I need to beg my friends to play KSP in order to fight them, and even then they don't want to get any mods. In addition I don't want to be the one to tell them they need to do technical .... to make Skillful work with stock parts. Pure and simple. AI please, and I will be satisfied.

My problem is mainly that I want smart AI. Multiplayer just means I need to beg my friends to play KSP in order to fight them, and even then they don't want to get any mods. In addition I don't want to be the one to tell them they need to do technical .... to make Skillful work with stock parts. Pure and simple. AI please, and I will be satisfied.

I'll be setting up a public server once I have a few things built, need a headstart ;)

I'll let people know when, big list of mods enabled too.

My problem is mainly that I want smart AI. -Snip- Pure and simple. AI please, and I will be satisfied.

You do realize the scope of what you are so casually implying?

I assume not. Please keep it real and don´t ask Ice to do stuff that usually has whole dedicated Dev Teams for other Games.

And creating an AI that can handle whatever Vessel Players throw at it is by no means an easy feature.

This post is not meant to Offend but that request is seriously not simple nor easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That being said keep up the awesome work I.Dice !

Edited by BSR
Typo

You do realize the scope of what you are so casually implying?

I assume not. Please keep it real and don´t ask Ice to do stuff that usually has whole dedicated Dev Teams for other Games.

And creating an AI that can handle whatever Vessel Players throw at it is by no means an easy feature.

This post is not meant to Offend but that request is seriously not simple nor easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That being said keep up the awesome work I.Dice !

True, I do see your point.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really think this is dead, I always see lots of people using it.

It would be the same as to say that procedural wings is dead, and we know it's not.

InfiniteDice can be just taking a break, or working on something big, but that doesn't mean the mod is dead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.