KSP hardware Mods

Peter KG6LSE

Aloha ! . I have been looking at how I can improve the feel of the game While suited up In my Old college project the ACES Heat suit.

((( more on it here http://www.kwwl.com/story/16507656/some-uni-students-find-new-ways-to-stay-warm#.Tw9bx6CY4kk.facebook ))))

I figure if the helmet fits ,, Wear it! .

11736855303_4b7bc455a3_z.jpg

I give you " the button"

11736545543_08bcdf3743.jpg

It is based on the guts from a Old USB Keyboard .

Short some pads on the PCB you have a Key-press .

I mean one could use a microcontroller but that is overkill when one can gut Keyboards and have the hardware all done.

I may use a Micon a Prop chip from parallax If I want to one day add some things Like a real translation and direction sticks .

The red one is the END key that is my staging key

and the toggle switch is + and - for the throttle .

I test flew it on a orbital flight yesterday and its slick .

This is version 1.0 so Ill have a few mods to add to the case today like the cam Int Ext and orbit .....and a RCS toggle .

All of this is gonna go in my Mini Sim ..

11737575826_74bcfaf8b0.jpg

Peter ..

( Mods I did not know if this was ok here or in the add on section as its not a ( mod pack)

Nice! Do want!

Good luck building the sim as well. Digikey and Mouser are great places to get toggle switches and such. Easy enough to use them to close keyboard contacts like from what I'd imagine you did with that black box.

I wonder if you could build a plugin for data I/O - you could have displays and such without having to emulate keystrokes!

Idea: get an arduino/sanguino etc - wire your switches/knobs/levers/whatever into that. Output state changes to the computer using whatever means you like - simple serial messenging would work fine. Have a plugin in KSP doing I/O to that, and voila!

Edited by draeath

I would LOVE to help to the HW inter work for a HW box

I have the time and the skill . . lacking funds ........

I am thinking of Bluetooth based as this way its isolated . And with that you have less of a risk of blowng up your computer .

I want to use the spare 8 inch LCD ( NTSC as a gimbal!) !

with the onboard Vid out on the parallax propeller this is a snap.

for a simple video out demo . The Prop also Runs C so its easy to compile for .

I have the old files of my display some where .

I just am a horrible desktop Sw geek . I am a EE by trade and I do power and RF and Optics as my work . SW gives me the chills .

but a way to get a gimbal and power and RCS mono and main fuel would be sweet

so would velocity and alt .

Here is a shot of the old code I have on it 11738789643_74bffc1f75.jpg

Peter.

I would love to see more support for stuff like this. It could also tie in really nicely with getting KSP in schools if they team up with Arduino or similar groups and encourage custom display and input creation.

I know a lot of kids who would be absolutely tickled pink to watch readouts of their space craft on display consoles they assembled themselves. (I may or may not be ignoring my age and including myself in that group of 'kids'.)

I would love to see more support for stuff like this. It could also tie in really nicely with getting KSP in schools if they team up with Arduino or similar groups and encourage custom display and input creation.

I know a lot of kids who would be absolutely tickled pink to watch readouts of their space craft on display consoles they assembled themselves. (I may or may not be ignoring my age and including myself in that group of 'kids'.)

Il make a post on the parallax forum ......

I want to say I have seen a gimbal object on there site...

OK I got back from FRYS down the street ,. I am gonna add a few more buttons !

Lets do eng-stop and 3 if the view keys !

If KSP supported more then one screen at once then it would be easy to have the map on my right screen . the IVA in the middle and the FREE view on the left ...

OK one of the things I have thought of is how we can make the Software side be open to let others make there own interface .

I propose a mod pack that uses 8 bit values ....

This simple single word system has enough steps to do almost anything .

If you know what NMEA data is for GPS then this is how the strings can be sent over serial

* and yes USB to Serial is dead easy ! ..

so you can send ALTO . VELO . BATT , MONO and so forth .

the Micon can parse this so that the data is fed to a display or a Lightbulb

I also want to have the Light Tree that shows craft status as a output . SO are there more then 8 lights ? Single bit per light . Dead easy to parse ..

Lets say you have light on your dash for SAS and RCS . you can have the Mod pack pipe the status as a 1 /0 to your Micon and it can light up LEDs ect BULB = 1010000

or if we need 16 then have it as LED1 LED2 and have 2 words .

Peter

I just acquired a RC aircraft small joystick . and a Full Old game system joystick . this week I am gonna gut them for the mech parts and integrate the WASD in to them as Key commands .

I wish I had my old logitech wingman 3D . that thing with a 3rd axis was sweet for helo sims in the late 90s early 2ks .

Peter....

You may have some issues with the way Unity handles joysticks under Windows (wouldn't be surprised if you were a Linux guy). It apparently only takes in raw input, not the calibrated input. I had no luck with my Logitech joystick nor flight throttle levers. What works pretty well is a Wireless Xbox 360 controller. So you may have to gut one of those. I did something similar with a Logitech gamepad to make my Street Fighter Stick.

You may have some issues with the way Unity handles joysticks under Windows (wouldn't be surprised if you were a Linux guy). It apparently only takes in raw input, not the calibrated input. I had no luck with my Logitech joystick nor flight throttle levers. What works pretty well is a Wireless Xbox 360 controller. So you may have to gut one of those. I did something similar with a Logitech gamepad to make my Street Fighter Stick.

both sticks would be bang-bang via Key presses . ( I dont think the apollo had proportional RCS?!

I got a top gun thrust master that has the Mech calibration sliders . Looks sweet .

And has no smarts inside . So I can just read the pots and use external active circuitry.

I am going to use a Window comparator and some Opto-Isolators to " fake" the key presses .

Some where I have a 15 Pin ACTIVE gameport to USB adapter but Its made for Windows 98SE .

Not 7 so I am not gonna hold my breath that its gonna take .

OR

I am gonna pick up some micro switchis from FRYs and leave all the pots in the stick . and rig up as direct * bang -bang*

:) I run linux too but not for any games . Deb / fed / redhat /centOS/ and crunchbang :)

Edited by Peter KG6LSE

Actually, I'm using a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D on Windows 7 without any issues. I use it in KSP to control my rocket and plane orientation and it's smooth. In fact, I wasn't comfortable flying planes in KSP until I got my joystick working because KB/M controls were so jerky. You're correct about raw input though, you have to set up your deadzone and sensitivity threshold independently on each game, but only once. Throttle issue is also true, in KSP the throttle control on the joystick is so sensitive that I just disable it (you cannot independently reduce sensitivity for throttle).

I'm curious and will keep an eye on how this little DIY of yours evolves ;)

Actually, I'm using a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D on Windows 7 without any issues. I use it in KSP to control my rocket and plane orientation and it's smooth. In fact, I wasn't comfortable flying planes in KSP until I got my joystick working because KB/M controls were so jerky. You're correct about raw input though, you have to set up your deadzone and sensitivity threshold independently on each game, but only once. Throttle issue is also true, in KSP the throttle control on the joystick is so sensitive that I just disable it (you cannot independently reduce sensitivity for throttle).

I'm curious and will keep an eye on how this little DIY of yours evolves ;)

I had that joystick ...... It was sooo nice ! Its a pitty that I did not keep it ( or did it wear out! ).

Iam gonna date my age here of 27.. last flight sim of any kid I ever played was Simcpoter on a AMD K6two with 3dNOW and 450MHz. ( that with jumpers in that day I over clocked to 500) 128M ram and PCI onboard GPU. 98 SE ..... Oh that was quite a while ago eh ..

I paid 2 bucks for the thustmaster and I do love a good Hardware challenge .

I DO wish there was twist It would make burns Much more simple ...... My ships when going up like to twist . now if I only had a translation controller . :)

I am near Frys and have 70 bucks left on my xmas gift card . Iam gonna see what i can grab ,, I have a game PAD that works OK but its not glove friendly

EDIT

OK 29 bucks later and I have a logitec stick .

I am on a FASA mod Gemini mission to test it . I do need to invert the throttle .

the HAT is the translation and its slick

Edited by Peter KG6LSE

I had that joystick ...... It was sooo nice ! Its a pitty that I did not keep it ( or did it wear out! ).

Mine survived about 4 or 5 years before I finally wore out the rotation axis and then the X/Y sensitivity went bonkers. Replaced it a month ago, found the exact same model available (You know you have a good model flight stick when it sticks around and remains popular for 5-6 years+). If the control hardware / circuitry is not too complicated you should be able to gut a LT.WM.3D to get some features for your pad, plus the 12 programmable buttons as an added bonus.

Mine survived about 4 or 5 years before I finally wore out the rotation axis and then the X/Y sensitivity went bonkers. Replaced it a month ago, found the exact same model available (You know you have a good model flight stick when it sticks around and remains popular for 5-6 years+). If the control hardware / circuitry is not too complicated you should be able to gut a LT.WM.3D to get some features for your pad, plus the 12 programmable buttons as an added bonus.

I moved the map and view to the stick but I still have 2ed throttle input and shutdown and stage as the box . I may remap the keys for gears and stuff

I know right ! .

I hope it takes off!

Snip

I am gonna remap the keys on the ( box) to warp .

First thing I noticed: You stole my joystick (that I never use...)! I have an almost identical one that I got years ago. Very cool project though. :)

Great job, nice stuff gathered!

I've been thinking for a long time of putting together similar equipment to make my Orbiter Sim experience more like real spaceflight. My idea was to take a suitably large and bell-shaped tank (of plastic) and mock it up to resemble a Soyuz. Or similar...just has to seem like a space pod. Add monitors for the PC, realistic controls and buttons and voila.

You've already done most of this, congrats, and have fun!

Ok! so I did some tinkering with the mechanics of this ab widget . I moved some things and Volla !

I just need to mount the screen and controls !

Its SICK!!! now I can Really be in a Mk1 .... and Heck I may make a semi shell for it outta plywood .

It does need a ton more work but that trip to goodwill was one heck of a good investment .

11882299126_d558754017_z.jpg

I need to make a decision on how I am gonna mount the screen ( not the gimbal one but a normal VGA ) and I want to see how I am gonna mount the joystick and box ..

Ill tell you one thing its a beast to get in and out ... now I know am starting to grasp how the poor folks in those packed soyuz feel ( there couchs are tight on the knees too )

No wonder Gunter Wendt and his crew were needed to buckle up .

I love that you have a fire suit, with locked on gloves and helmet, and bare feet. That's class.

Actually this whole operation is grade A class, I love it!

I think I need to take one of the MCUs I have lying around and make myself an Abort button out of a CNC machine E-Stop button (like this, roughly speaking. Except broken and dirty and therefor free to me). That'd be perfect. Mount it permanently on my desk :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.