How did you feel when you made your first rocket/orbit/landing?

JiWint

title says it all!

I can barely,but still remember my first landing.Going to minmus was so hard,I thought I'm going so,so far away (though it's a candy now).When I landed...Oh boy,it was like I'm on another world,everything was so interesting.Making my first satellite took me 2 hours,and when I launched it...yeehaaaw! too bad I don't remember what my first rocket was...

Share your experiences!

355sec.jpg

When I landed...Oh boy,it was like I'm on another world...

This seems like a normal feeling for landing on another world!

:P

The feeling of my first Mun landing was amazing. A rush of adrenalin and excitement and accomplishment like no other game ever. After crashing into the Mun at a few hundred metres per second a fair few times I also got, what appeared to be, a real understanding of just how impressive Messers Aldrin and Armstrong were.

Edited by Monkeh

This seems like a normal feeling for landing on another world!

:P

The feeling of my first Mun landing was amazing. A rush of adrenalin and excitement and accomplishment like no other game ever. After crashing into the Mun at a few hundred metres per second a fair few times I also got, what appeared to be, a real understanding of just how impressive Messers Aldrin and Armstrong were.

I had adrenaline when I saw some kind of steam coming out of duna surface,huuuh I tried to fly outta there fast as hell

Elation, because you really work hard for your successes in KSP. All that work, all those dead kerbals, all those explosions, all building up to that one triumphant moment where the lander DOESN'T explode on impact, and instead bounces around shedding parts, eventually coming to a standstill on it's side.

My first orbit was in 0.13.1 and I felt happy, but since I had already known basic orbital mechanics at the time, it was just an engineering problem.

My first Mün landing, on the other had, was exactly as you thought it would be, in version 0.16.1 touched down on the surface of the Mün after descending at 6m/s (±2m/s) for 10 Minuites! ( I had a over built lander) and touched down on what is now the ENE side of the 'far side crater', unfortunately, I thought you HAD to land at 12m/s (not a upper limit, it had to be that amount) so my capsule fell of, most people would say this is a failure, but I just pretended the inside of

The decoupler was a science bay and walked around for an hour (real time) it was one of the best experiences of my life, I needed to know what was on the other side of a hill about 3km away, I had to walk back and didn't even make it over the hill.

My second landing was a near side attempt and I had 18 landing legs and 8 struts to hold the capsule on, I landed at 0.4m/s and got my kerbal out, this time it was jeb, the first kerbal was bob, and he successfully returned! I still felt that rush up to the sixth landing, I needed to try something harder, then it hit me. After I crashed I decided to build a moon base, using TEH MODS I put rover wheels on a lander, the site was bobs original landing site. It landed 41.5km away (quite an accomplishment for the time) the drive took about 34 Minutes and when I arrived I felt that rush of adrenaline again, the two kerbals got out and stood on top of each other. The 13 landing was my last piece of the base, a escape system, to save mass, it had to land within 100m of the base. This was my most anxious, yet thrilling moment yet. I touched down 600m away after 16 minutes in orbit calculating my descent path. I tried to hop it over but only got within 200m.

And that's my first müner mission, it's still there that base. 2 years in real time of service ( it was technically the most ridiculous, over reasereched rescue mission of all time)

Even though I've been playing for a long time, I've only visited Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike, Eve, Jool, and Laythe.

So from time to time to time I get that special feeling. The last time I landed a probe it was on Ike:

NE4P1PY.png

Man, I felt so happy that moment the engine shut down and it came to a stop, as the Ike orbiter set on the horizon.

My manned program, is a completely diferent story. After the Mun and Minmus landings, I started a space station, and while my dudes were testing out experimental aircraft and doing normal "science" on the station, I was dropping probes into Jool and Laythe. Then I started making a Mun base, but it was too ordinary and boring... So I took out my old Apollo rocket, made a couple of tweaks here and there, aaaaand...

GVQuOa4.png

First manned interplanetary mission! :D

I'm now considering a Low Duna-Ike flyby mission on the next launch window. We're finally heading for the stars!

I'd been trying for hours to get in to orbit, and when I did I just sat back and watched it go round in awe. I was ecstatic, and immediately went for the Mun, despite my incredible lack of knowledge in building landers, as can be seen here.

dede4e8fec33d42c7c5f2cff0217d590.png

Don't ask, because I just don't know.

Threads like this remind me why I love this game. My first couple rockets didn't even make it out of the atmosphere and I still can't figure out what I was thinking with the one that finally made stable orbit. It felt so great to get it right and I just knew I was going somewhere from there.

And oh god the preparations I made to go to the Mun for the first time. It went way smoother than expected, the landing itself was about as close to perfect as I could have asked for. But I ran out of fuel before I could get back out of Mun orbit and had to launch a "massive" (now completely laughable) rescue mission before I even knew how to rendezvous properly. So my first zero-g EVA ended up being a nail-biting 200+m leap of faith. It was the ultimate victory to bring my Mun-walking hero home.

I'll try to remember to edit this post and add pics of what I can find when I get home, I know I still have one of the rescue ship at least.

Ah, the first time I landed on the mun, I was filled with excitement. I then turned the camera around to see that Kerbin was against the center of a bunch of gas and dust with a nice, flat view of the mun. I plopped in the Kerbin clouds and city lights mod and, after a couple of tries, was able pretty much replicate the photo and it looked a bit like this: dkVXn9d.jpg

Oddly enough, the first craft I got into orbit myself was a spaceplane. Learning from and watching MechJeb do those seemingly so exotic and high-tech "gravity-turns" gave me an idea: what if I cut out the whole "turn" part?

So I built myself a two-stage spaceplane--first stage was jet-powered, the second rocket. Launching from the runway, I had a nice ascent angle from the start, and things just got better from there. I couldn't believe I had actually done it. God I wish I had that feeling again, like when I first bought the game and got access to the hangar--I didn't know what to do first.

First orbit? Nothing much.

Getting an engine to work, however, was more difficult (BEFORE getting into orbit) as I didn't know about throttling up.

now I remember the moment when I accidentally right-clicked on solar panel.I had no idea that parts can be right clicked (I didn't know much about parts) :o

I was'nt like big cheer when I made into orbit... after all I'd just been strapping more and more boosters on until I got an orbit..... of sorts AP900km/PE75km

But when I finally made a stock .12 KSP mun ship do this:-

ABCAD5E607AC0C804291D3FE6387BAAD9AAD6225

(The smeagle has landed)

I was like WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHOIHOHOOHOHOHOHOHOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Boris

AND I got them home again :cool:

uh thats quite some time ago now, but I remember: sweaty hands, heartbeat around 180 and an ultimate feeling of relieve when that contraption finally stopped swaying and the landing was complete...that was the first mun landing...dunno about the first orbit, that was not so hard but took some tries and the view was quite rewarding...these where the times with a more "hands on" approach, nowadays i´m lazy and prefer hacking numbers into mechjeb...

the next big thing to do was most likely getting to another planet, a thing that was extremely hard for me with or without mechjeb until i read up on some basic and maybe not so basic stuff concernig this...

well, you know...nodes, nerds, more nodes and this:

Even surprising to me, I seem to be indifferent now, even landing on new bodies. I was excited in the very beginning, and I felt more relief from stress when landing or docking.

I think the fact that I am beyond the top of the learning curve makes things less exciting. I waited more than 1 year since buying the game to "mature" before going interplanetary.

So at that point, I have all the design and piloting skills needed to go... anywhere.

I just go "whoop de do" most of the time. I'm not losing interest, actually quite the opposite, it's just that I don't ever doubt my in-game abilities to the point where no given event or accomplishment is a surprise.

I guess I should be more proud of myself since I never have used mechjeb and have learned everything from trial and error (The name of one of my best saves) and pure experience.

Edited by Tank Buddy

In Neil Armstrong's words, I was very ecstatic and elated when I landed on Mün for the first time.

I'd been trying for hours to get in to orbit, and when I did I just sat back and watched it go round in awe. I was ecstatic, and immediately went for the Mun, despite my incredible lack of knowledge in building landers, as can be seen here.

http://gyazo.com/dede4e8fec33d42c7c5f2cff0217d590.png

Don't ask, because I just don't know.

Large ASAS modules.

I know, I hate them too. They force you to go nuts with struts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.