Landing on Ascension

lajoswinkler

This tiny world's orbit and its relatively large size (accounting for the fact everything is 10-11 times smaller in KSP universe) reminds of a huge comet. Unlike comets, Ascension has a high albedo.

My approach was catching it while it's going towards Kerbol. Rendezvous is fiddly but manageable. dV requirements are high. I forgot to take account about dV for raising apoapsis, but braking took around 3.5 km/s.

ascension_rendezvous_lw.png

The ship was so overengineered that the tug use to push the lander's carrier still has lots of fuel.

ascension_lw.png

Changing orbital parameters is easy, the gravity well is rather shallow.

ascension_lupo1_lw.png

What bugs me is this.

ascension_bhole_lw.png

Once I lowered lander's orbit, the whole body became pitch black. I don't know exactly when, because I was in map mode.

Just for laughs, I tried to land it and smashed into the surface. Some 850 metres at Mach 1 speed. It's like approaching a void in space and then boom.

So, anyone having the same problem? Solutions? Graphics were all maxed except resolution.

It's pitch black, textureless void regardless of the position. Yes, I do have 4 long range reflectors on the lander, but landing is very hard when you have absolutely no points of reference and the reflectors are pointing towards horizon. I know, it was a mistake.

It's like standing over a creepy 2D punched hole in the fabric of space. I could try going down at 50 m/s - lander is the third stage of the whole ship so it might survive the impact. I don't know how variable is the height of the surface.

The only mod I have is KSPX and as I've said, graphics are at maximum, except resolution. It runs at 10-15 fps, enough for missions where I want to capture nice screenshots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.