Move "Show off your awesome KSP pictures!" back to the General forum

Huojin

Should we move the "Show off your awesome KSP pictures!" thread back here?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we move the "Show off your awesome KSP pictures!" thread back here?

• Yes
    • No

Why was it moved to Fan Works? Probably because it belongs in Fan Works!

If someone would start a similar topic, lets say with video's, in the general forum it would be moved to Fan Works within one or two days. Guaranteed! Why should "Show off your awesome KSP pictures!" be an exception to this?

Because "fan works" is a dark alley on the site, forums suffer when fragmented too much.

It appeals to someones ocd I'm sure, but GD is where everyone is.

Apparently the mods don't care what people think though seeing as this thread was also moved.

Hey, everyone.

The thread in question was moved during a small cleanup of the top of the General section. We feel that putting that thread into the more appropriate Fan Works section will encourage everyone to venture in there to both view and share their excellent creations more frequently. If things take a big dip, well, that can change, but at the moment, that's where the thread resides.

As for this thread, this section was more appropriate for it. Section cleanup has been a bit of a discussion as of late, so if you have any suggestions for it, please turn that into a separate thread.

...If things take a big dip, well, that can change, but at the moment, that's where the thread resides...

As I pointed out in the screenshot thread itself, it went from two new pages (at least) per day, to going more than 24 hours at a time without a single post. Activity in that thread has absolutely plummeted. I don't think it's getting people to go to Fan Works, I think it's getting people to STOP going to that thread. General may not technically be the proper place, but I think that it's far better than Fan Works, where the thread is deserted.

[...]

Apparently the mods don't care what people think though seeing as this thread was also moved.

Please don't make assumptions like that.

As I pointed out in the screenshot thread itself, it went from two new pages (at least) per day, to going more than 24 hours at a time without a single post. Activity in that thread has absolutely plummeted. I don't think it's getting people to go to Fan Works, I think it's getting people to STOP going to that thread. General may not technically be the proper place, but I think that it's far better than Fan Works, where the thread is deserted.

Give it some time, will ya. Once people know where to find it, it should get back quite some traction.

Give it some time, will ya. Once people know where to find it, it should get back quite some traction.

It probably won't though, I have seen this on multiple forums over the years, GD or equivalent is always where threads like that thrive, when moved away from the "main thoroughfare" they tend not to do so well.

Keeping things mostly in one place is almost invariably better to the end user and means more traffic.

I'm not sure. If the transfer was to lower the number of posts people make, then I agree with the admins' decision. People are spamming on that thread, putting entire missions to show off even if they aren't doing anything remotely interesting.

The thread has lots its meaning. Those aren't awesome pictures, those are... pictures. Their total quality is very low.

I wanted to make a difference and opened the thread about user-made funny KSP stuff, but so far, zero replies, and this monstrosity of a thread grows like a tumor.

It's quite a fair assumption based on current forum moderation. If this move would've purely been for 'cleanup purposes' as we've been told, surely the countless actual non-GD threads in General Discussion would've been moved even earlier (just to name a few, currently on the first page of GD):

- what is the point of rovers on moons/planet with low gravity? [14-01-14, should be in Questions and Tutorials]

- The only thing thing that I care to see in .24 [02-01-14, should be in Suggestions and Development]

- CPU Performance Database [27-07-13, should be in Development and Support]

- Is asparagus the best staging system? [09-05-13, should be in Questions and Tutorials]

So, in my humble opinion, the statement like _Aramchek_ made is not quite as bonkers as you seem to be suggesting.

If the mods would truly like to hear what the opinions are, I'm certain they would have left this thread in the General Discussion instead of instantly moving it to the crevasses of the KSP forum.

Another assumption :wink:

Since ~90% of voters want the Awesome Pictures thread in General Discussion, why not just move it back???

Edited by Yakuzi

First thread, yeah, probably. Second thread, mmmh, maybe. Third thread, definitely not. It's discussing KSP's performance on different machines, not its development; it's fine where it is. The final one is almost certainly going to be a matter of opinion and should be discussed, as it doesn't have a clear definitive answer.

We move what we can when we can. We're not machines, we don't always catch everything, and not everything is very clear-cut; it is not uncommon for us to discuss whether or not something should be moved for a bit before actually moving it. If you see something you think needs moving, go hit the Report Post button on the OP and say so. That's one of many reasons why it's there.

That doesn't mean a couple of members of the community have veto rights over the administration of the forums. The forum has over 5000 active members. A few do not speak for the opinions of all.

Alright, want to hear my personal opinion? We have way too many subforums. Yes. I've been saying this for months and I personally really don't like the "vicious stance against threads in a slightly wrong place" that sometimes shines through. Why? Well, because even we sometimes just don't know where a thread would be best suited. Way too many forums with quite some overlap on the one hand and huge gaps on the other between these forums.

That does not, however, mean we should dump everything into KSPGen. Just because people can't be arsed to leave KSPGen for a bit doesn't mean we should just kill everything else and just have one huge dump. Threads go where they belong, even if "where they belong" is utterly nonsensical because of the mess that has been created - but we can, at a later point (once we have a better solution to this all), change the mess and tidy it up. We can't really do that when KSPGen is essentially the only forum ever with absolutely everything posted in it.