Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

Once she's ready to take wing...

http://i.imgur.com/C1zIVtM.png

...gently into that good night we shall not go. (This whole poem has probably been way overused since the film came out...)

It actually has a fourth module docked now, meaning the ring is one third complete. I reckon another day or two and Stargazer will be ready to go :)

Endurance replica hype confirmed.

Once she's ready to take wing...

http://i.imgur.com/C1zIVtM.png

...gently into that good night we shall not go. (This whole poem has probably been way overused since the film came out...)

It actually has a fourth module docked now, meaning the ring is one third complete. I reckon another day or two and Stargazer will be ready to go :)

Getting the final docking port to attach is the trick... Mine was skewed just slightly somewhere near the beginning, so by the time I had closed the loop, the last two ports were out by roughly the docking port's radius, and, well.... I used KAS winches to pull it into alignment, and to hold it together once engines were lit, but it didn't go so well at that point, physics said no.

Working on what I hope to be a long range SSTO. I was doing some testing with clipping parts, and realized I could clip some of the mk2 tanks in such a way that I would have a squarish edge. I liked it, and I'm running with it.

1c55308629.png

3e315ac51c.png

ad52d63f30.png

Why can't I focus on anything in KSP? R-SUV is still not updated on 0.25, but even as I was testing the Duna '69 thingy I glanced at the devnotes, and bam, here I am on yet another promising tangent. :rolleyes:

QaAWhkH.png

Notice the 0.98 TWR and 4.5km/s delta-v. Yeah, that was plain luck, this was a production test to see if I could switch root and make the whole thing work with the spaceplane being the last stage. And you should see how the CoM moves as I empty the fuel tank... almost a straight line.

Rune. Sometimes these things look almost intentional in KSP.

Edited by Rune

you just remove the wings lol :P

While true, it is a complete redesign. The whole thing is much smaller, with a completely new body & larger legs. I also removed all the custom parts in the body & neck, so now it's only B9 & IR.

After I perfect the body, I will stick wings & engines back on to have the MRK V Raynos. This is an alpha build. Smallest one yet

1bwB5Mn.png

Edited by clown_baby
update

While true, it is a complete redesign. The whole thing is much smaller, with a completely new body & larger legs. I also removed all the custom parts in the body & neck, so now it's only B9 & IR.

After I perfect the body, I will stick wings & engines back on to have the MRK V Raynos. This is an alpha build. Smallest one yet

http://i.imgur.com/1bwB5Mn.png

looking cool clown baby

Well, the MAKS tangent is paying off... It flies!

aM8coUY.png

I've even managed to figure out the separation!

n3PJpOF.png

tWAivDD.png

The road to development of this thing, however, is paved with lots of explosions...

yq5qnFr.png

wugch1R.png

Those are intentionally dark photos, of course. Totally intentional. See, this is clearly a military secret project, and those do the test flying when no one is looking... right?

Rune. I have found out, having a fully loaded Mryia blow up on the runway is not very good for the runway. ^^'

Edited by Rune

Stargazer is progressing nicely. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of deviation from the correct orientation in any of the docking ports. I did have to go and reset the position once or twice but it's looking pretty straight for now. Four more modules and I'll be seeing the result, I guess.

aZXzGqa.png

Upon docking the 8th module (3rd engine pod), I then realised that I was close to bankrupting my space agency, so I launched an emergency probe to Minmus to complete a contract, and now I've got to sort out a Mun base so I can plant flags all the time...

Stargazer is progressing nicely. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of deviation from the correct orientation in any of the docking ports. I did have to go and reset the position once or twice but it's looking pretty straight for now. Four more modules and I'll be seeing the result, I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/aZXzGqa.png

Upon docking the 8th module (3rd engine pod), I then realised that I was close to bankrupting my space agency, so I launched an emergency probe to Minmus to complete a contract, and now I've got to sort out a Mun base so I can plant flags all the time...

Holy kerbal, dude, that's epic! Hope you'll have no problem with wobbling

P.S. if you need funds for your project, just tell me! I have some excess kerbals... :D

It's...

eOUhdpo.png

...it's...

pPv79EQ.png

...581 parts?!

(Also, essentially finished!)

d14klh0.png

And that's with no Rangers docked or any base modules slapped on to the sides :0.0:

It looks to be structurally stable, mostly. The final docking port turned out to be less than half a port's width out of alignment, which is pretty spectacular all things considered. The KAS struts are holding things in place nicely for the moment, but I haven't conducted any engine tests yet; the 12 ion engines will produce around 180kN of thrust total, so hopefully the ship won't tear itself apart spontaneously. Obviously, they aren't your run-of-the-mill electric propulsion systems seeing as they produce a whopping 15kN of thrust each, but they're balanced with the stock ion engines, with just a slight improvement on thrust. Also, I highly doubt they'll be running out of fuel too soon...

On a related note, I don't suppose anyone knows if that Ubiozor welding mod is functional in 0.25? I could use it about now :rolleyes: