What causes this oscillation?

So My solar panel array decided it didn't like my new base design and wanted to fly away, taking the tower with it.

[tried to post a gif... didn't work.]

http://makeagif.com/i/WKlxNO

Does anyone know the cause of this oscillation?

I rebuilt the tower with some more struts, which I didn't want to do because I always try to minimize part count.

Edited by Fett2oo5

Struts. MOAR struts. Even if you don't want it, you have to do it. If you really don't want to, try sticking the panels on the main body. But why would you need that much power? You can do it like me and have a power plant with tons of little reactors. You can reduce the amount if you get LLL (Lack Luster Labs), since it has big reactors. Great mod, you should try it if you don't have it yet.

That looks like a death rattle, at least that's what I call it. Supposedly having parts clipping into each other can cause it, but I'm pretty sure that I've seen it even when being very careful that. Sometimes just reloading can prevent it, sometimes there is something inherently unstable about your design and it will always do that.

But why would you need that much power?
This is part of a modular base on a grand scale. This will be one of the "Power Towers".
Seriously though, how are those panels connected? I-beams and struts?
There are two I-beams sticking out of the Strut. Panels are attached to that. Edited by Fett2oo5

The tower from the top down is the Square to Round strut (sorry I forgot the name) with 2 I-Beams connected on each side to which the panels are attached. Then downward is a Keth Gen, two batteries, an adapter, battery, Keth Tank.

I saw the bouncing in the batteries and the Keth Gen I think that is where the disturbance is. I doubled the struts from the square-round strut down ward, that stopped the bouncing.

I put a cubic octagonal strut on top, strutted the ends of the I-Beams to that to make a truss. and put a small reaction wheel on top. Seemed to stop it; and a little more stable when moving the tower around on the "truck"

I just wish I didn't have to do this. I would think a strut from the ends of the I-Beams down to the base would be enough.

Edited by Fett2oo5

Updated pic of the first 6 structures of my modular base. (My very first base design as well I might add..... I hope I'm doing something right. Feel free to chime in with advice if you have any.)

H9VuzJl.png

Next up is Kethane mining, storage, conversion, docking port, and maybe a "landing pad"

But frak is this a lot of parts. I'm going to have to upgrade my RAM if I want all of this to work.

Edited by Fett2oo5

That panopticon probably isn't going to do what you want it to do. From the IVA, the kerb inside is looking straight up - think more "TIE fighter viewport" and less "train car observation bubble." You might wanna deep six it, or radialize like, four of them, facing outwards, maybe with a Damned Robotics rotating thingy to mount them on so they can swivel and look around.

...or radialize like, four of them, facing outwards, maybe with a Damned Robotics rotating thingy to mount them on so they can swivel and look around.
I'd tried that initially, but it got really top heavy, really fast. I'll look around at some mods to see what they offer. I only have a few at the moment. B9, KW, Keth, RemoteTech

That's hilarious ! hehe!

I-beams have a known tendency to do weird stuff to your crafts, phantom forces for no apparent reason.

However i had a very similar base module do almost the exact same dance on Duna,

after some time i realized one of the legs was "broken", and sas trying to correct for some instabillity,

dunno how that happened but got fixed by a simple kerbal eva repair.

I'd tried that initially, but it got really top heavy, really fast. I'll look around at some mods to see what they offer. I only have a few at the moment. B9, KW, Keth, RemoteTech

If weight's an issue...

I hate to say it, but a Landercan might be your best option for a "window facing outwards to survey the landscape around me" approach. If you have Raster Prop Monitor and the ALCOR capsule (though the ALCOR itself doesn't work for me for some reason,) you can put cameras everywhere, too, and enjoy that IVA feeling using the cameras instead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.